Southwest Florida Eagle Cam

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
Birdfriend

Re: Harriet & M15, American Bald Eagle Cam

Post by Birdfriend »

balistar wrote:Hi Maggy and Birdfriend,
the calling when M brought in that fish was not a greeting from H to M, that was alert calling.
There was an intruder and a pretty stubborn one.
Harriet noticed from nest that M was being followed by the intruder when wanted to bring that fish home to the kids.
She did a really great job flying off the nest with the aim of chasing the intruder away.
M brought that fish but was panting a lot. That was hard work.
The intruder was flying many rounds near to the nest, Harriet in the attic and M on the edge of the nest, calling warnings, until the intruder finally flew away from the area.
Only then could M begin with the feeding.
Oh my, at 16:16 the intruder came back in the area. H was in the attic and M came to join her or the other way round. I did not see who was first in the attic. Both called warnings to the intruder. He flew away after two rounds.
Thanks a lot, balistar, for your observation. I was only in the near from my PC, was not following this intruder problem. :bow:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
balistar

Post by balistar »

15:15 Intruder is flying around nesttree

H & M are still calling warnings

Intruder flies to the west direction pasture
balistar

Post by balistar »

15:16 Intruder is still there in the area,
flying another round around close to the nesttree

H & M calling warnings, Harriet on attic, M on the edge of nest

15:17 this intruder does not want to leave
he flew a few more rounds before left the area

At 16:16 Intruder came back for another round but not too close to the nesttree.
Harriet was calling alert again. Intruder flew away.

PS: I would fly away immediatelly when Harriet is calling alert with her indescribable voice :rotf:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Birdfriend wrote: Thanks a lot, balistar, for your observation. I was only in the near from my PC, was not following this intruder problem. :bow:
I was sitting in front of the screen when I saw Harriet looking worried up in the sky and calling alert. Then when she took off the nest, I thougt there must be an intruder and I changed to cam 2.
Pooh that was exciting. I was worried about M being followed maybe for a long distance with this fish in his talons. When he landed on the edge of the nest he was panting. But Harriet was great. Flying to meet him and driving out the intruder. A wonderful team, this two eagles. That's what we call "a dream-team" :2thumbsup: :D
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I want to post a Q and A from Hancock Wild Life forum:
http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/vi ... ue#1053424
Armistead:
I’m really curious about the apparent change in the “pecking order” between E10 and E11. E10, obviously the eldest in terms both of when its egg was laid and when it hatched, was dominant for about the first week (perhaps the first 10 days?). It typically ate first and it exerted its dominance over E11 through bonking and other means. Now, however, the roles seem to have reversed and the younger E11 appears, more often than not, to have the dominant role.
MaryF, a mod:
This is something that I really have not seen before. We did see E11 start to bonk E10 back sometimes but I have not seen such a shift. One reason might be that E11, who seems to be a bit larger that E10 now, might be a female and is asserting herself. Other than that I can't really think of s reason. It's always something new with these eagles--they can surprise us!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

16:38
16:40
16:58
balistar

Post by balistar »

Maggy wrote:I want to post a Q and A from Hancock Wild Life forum:
http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/vi ... ue#1053424
Armistead:
I’m really curious about the apparent change in the “pecking order” between E10 and E11. E10, obviously the eldest in terms both of when its egg was laid and when it hatched, was dominant for about the first week (perhaps the first 10 days?). It typically ate first and it exerted its dominance over E11 through bonking and other means. Now, however, the roles seem to have reversed and the younger E11 appears, more often than not, to have the dominant role.
MaryF, a mod:
This is something that I really have not seen before. We did see E11 start to bonk E10 back sometimes but I have not seen such a shift. One reason might be that E11, who seems to be a bit larger that E10 now, might be a female and is asserting herself. Other than that I can't really think of s reason. It's always something new with these eagles--they can surprise us!
That what 'MaryF' says is excactly what I think.
I wrote to me E11 seems to be a bit bigger and I also guess it might be a female. That's why I asked why it shouldn't be, that E11 is growing faster than E10, although it is younger.
I think, it is not the behavior of E11 what has changed, I think some people have changed E10 to E11 and E11 to E10. That's what I think is the fault.
Because when we keep on to say the now a bit bigger one with that dark at his head (at the moment, it will change) is still E11, then everything is understandable and makes sense. The "normal" behavior what all know. No surprise. The normal way of eagles -or eaglets- life.
It is E11 who gets bonked, not E10.

BTW: Today until 12:00 I counted 7x bonking from E11 to E10. That were the ones I saw, the ones I did not see, I didn't count.

PS: I'm only wondering why the mods the last days always were writing from E11 (meant the now smaller one) who was bonking E10 (meant the now bigger one) and now this Mod 'MaryF' is changing backwards and considers that E11 might be a female because it is the now bigger one. :D
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thanks for your thoughts, balistar!
I've seen one bonking too, I'll post a pic of that later.
17:04
17:26
17:34 he is bonking, I'm not sure though who is who, bit the chick who is bonking was spreading the wings and another one got on the way of that
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

17:35 after bonking
17:45
17:52
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

17:55 they are so cute!
18:03 Harriet is feeding some more

balistar

Post by balistar »

Maggy wrote: 17:34 he is bonking, I'm not sure though who is who, bit the chick who is bonking was spreading the wings and another one got on the way of that
The one with that dark on the right side of his head is E11 (in my opinion) and gets bonked by that one with the "white" head, E10 (in my opinion).

But now, Maggy, I think it's time for me to go to bed. :rolleyes:
You know what just a few minutes ago (about 18:21) happened? I saw an intruder where no intruder has been. I was not at the laptop and heard Harriet vocalizing, run to the laptop, had a look on cam 2 and thought I saw another intruder but far away from the nest in the sky. Harriet was on nest M15 flew in on the outer attic and dropped from there to the attic near the nest. Then I was wondering, why this "intruder" doesn't move. A few seconds it took me to recognize, that the "intruder" was just a piece of dust on my screen :rotf:
So, it IS time for me :offtobed: :laugh:
Good night.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

balistar, I've been thinking that the one with a dark on his head is E10, because soon they are both will get darker. But I'm not sure
and have a good night!
18:06 now another chick is being fed
18:11 keeps feeding
18:18 ready for the night
balistar

Post by balistar »

Maggy, there is so much confusion now in who is E11 and who is E10....

I just wanted to leave one or two more pictures from that sun-umbrella.

E10 (who I think it's E10) would say:
The pine is mine :mrgreen:

E11 was not allowed to lay down under this parasol,
did not disturb E10 and went laying to the rails in the sun
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

balistar wrote:Maggy, there is so much confusion now in who is E11 and who is E10....

I just wanted to leave one or two more pictures from that sun-umbrella.

E10 (who I think it's E10) would say:
The pine is mine:mrgreen:
http://up.picr.de/31557327az.jpg

E11 was not allowed to lay down under this parasol,
did not disturb E10 and went laying to the rails in the sun
http://up.picr.de/31557326jq.jpg

balistar :hi:
I had the same thought :mrgreen:

I've read back now! Thanks a lot for the welcome, Maggy :laugh:

And many thanks for the very interesting reports and beautiful pictures by all! :bow: It is great to red here. :2thumbsup:
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

balistar, Liz, thank you! :2thumbsup:
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

January 18th

1:27 everybody is sleeping
4:08 the kid is sleeping the same way mom is.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:25 Dad brings a huge Fish
Breakfast for both - a very nice feeding :innocent:

7:41 one has a problem after eating .. I hope it is not serious

good again.. to much and too fast eating :mrgreen: EDIT: It was not too much.. it was a fish bone... :slap: TY balistar!
balistar wrote: Liz, I think it was a fishbone that stuck in his throat. He got a huge piece with a fishbone and swallowed it. I was worried, he fought with it for a while, luckily it slipped down at the end :faint:
but I think he was shocked and therefore didn't want some more food.

7:44 the feeding continues :rolleyes:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I think it's cold today?
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote:I think it's cold today? http://up.picr.de/31560679rp.jpg
nest page: clear, 34° - 34℉= 1,1℃ and windy (Cam - 360) :bow:

E11 - 21 day :headroll:

also from that feeding https://s17.postimg.org/77ejt9v8v/image.jpg
balistar

Post by balistar »

Liz01 wrote: 7:41 one has a problem after eating .. I hope it is not serious
good again.. to much and too fast eating :mrgreen:
:hi: Liz, Solo, Maggy and all,
Liz, I think it was a fishbone that stuck in his throat. E11 (for me) got a huge piece with a fishbone and swallowed it. I was worried, he fought with it for a while, luckily it slipped down at the end :faint:
but I think he was shocked and therefore didn't want some more food.

07:40 that was that piece with the fishbone, first got it, then dropped it

Dad pickt it up - you can see the fishbone (red arrow) - Dad also dropped it once

Dad pickt it up and fed it again to him (for me E11) and
he swallowed and has the problems with getting it down.
I think that fishbone was stucking in his throat

Return to “Eagles”