Winter Feeding Ground ~ Nov 2008 - March 2009

Webcams of eagles feeding during winter time
Mutikluti

Re: Winter Feeding Ground Cameras.

Post by Mutikluti »

Eagle:
vlcsnap-17692.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud to be a member of SHoW
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Who is eating, who is waiting for place:
vlcsnap-29504.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud to be a member of SHoW
Martin

Post by Martin »

Mutikluti wrote:Eagle:
vlcsnap-17692.jpg
Beautiful picture :2thumbsup:
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

yarko wrote: Jo you made a new topic? Good idea!
is there anything else we want to know?
Hi Yarko,
can you please ask from mr.Looduskalender, which tree is the perching one?
i can`t figure it out :puzzled:
watched over and over the video with the eagle and didn`t find it.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
yarko

Post by yarko »

Kuremari wrote: Hi Yarko,
can you please ask from mr.Looduskalender, which tree is the perching one?
i can`t figure it out :puzzled:
watched over and over the video with the eagle and didn`t find it.
This is the tree where the eagles are sitting; on Mutiklutis' pic' for instance.
the tree what is closest to camera, without leaves and everything (kuivanud), cant find the right word.
"I love not man the less, but Nature more." Lord Byron
yarko

Post by yarko »

LK forum members have asked.
Answers: Mr Looduskalender
Translation: Kuremari

1. What kind of eagle did we see on the perch tree?

Merikotkas (Haliaeetus albicilla)
White-tailed Eagle Haliaeetus albicilla, also known as the Sea Eagle, Erne (sometimes Ern)

2. Does Mr.Looduskalender expect eagles to feed while all those hooligan ravens are there?

Ravens are very cautious, clever and sharp-sighted birds. They lead the eagles to places where food is.
That works the same way in the wild ( ravens find carrion in a bog, so the eagles know that they will find food)
Sea Eagles prefer open eating places so it is possible that they will not feed in the current place.
When the weather turns colder and the water will freeze over, the food will be placed on the ice between the islet and the current feeding place.
Hope, this will benefit the eagles.
Then may happen, that ravens will start harassing the eagles who stay for too long at the dinner table.
In any case I believe that future will bring us interesting and exciting moments.
"I love not man the less, but Nature more." Lord Byron
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

a little information about yesterday( Nov. the 18th):
http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/1973

Two adult Sea Eagles and a juvenile (two winters old) were seen on the perch tree yesterday.
Seems the birds have get used to their feeding place.
It was fun to see the ravens, magpies and crows so peacefully together.
Martin

Post by Martin »

It seems as if one of the cameras is not working :rolleyes:
wmplayer 2008-11-20 07-38-06-93.jpg
ETA: False alarm, it is working again :shake:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Good morning! Snow..There is snow here too
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
unp

Post by unp »

Good morning!

Not sure where this should be placed. Hopefully, here.

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/specie ... urtherInfo (though not quite up to date, this seems to be a reliable source)

http://www.naturelight.ru/show_photo/14515.html 'My White-Tailed Friend' Date: Sep 6, 2008. Location: Russia, Astrakhan region (the Lower Volga)
There are two comments:
(1) 'Now there is a new problem in conservation of the white-tailed eagle. Because of frequent fish kills in rivers and reservoirs WTEs are gradually becoming scavengers rather than active hunters. In other words, the species hunting behavior stereotype is being changed. Such birds (scavengers) are less active, less smart. No one knows how this situation can be changed' [the area to which this applies is not indicated nor the source of information is provided]
(2) By the photographer: "Last winter in Astrakhan region was harsh and I saw on several occasions WTEs stealing chickens from poultry yards in the middle of the day... In the summer I managed to take several pics of a WTE attacking an egret in a water meadow. I also observed several times how this particular friend of mine makes use of cormorants.
A family of these WTEs resides a couple of kilometers away from a colony of cormorants. Perching on a tree, WTEs observe what cormorants are doing without interfering. When a cormorant catches a big fish one of the eagles flies to the cormorant with a menacing air. The cormorant cannot dive with the swallowed prey and has to regurgitate the fish. The eagle takes the 'tribute' calmly... Without a 'thank you'..."

http://www.naturelight.ru/show_photo/14553.html 'Sideview'
http://www.naturelight.ru/show_photo/14554.html 'A Warm Company'
Date: Feb 16, 2008. Location: Russia, Far East, Vladivostok, Golden Horn Bay.
Comments to both pics: In the winter, there are many WTEs in the city. They stay mainly on the ice, sometimes on trees, too. At times, up to ten birds can be seen in one place.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Urmas has sent us some pictures.

http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2008-11-19 ... -13-26.jpg

http://pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2008-11-20 ... -11-05.jpg

What a wonderful view he has from his vantage point! Envy :blush:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Two eagles sitting on the branch to the left corner, then a little later there! :bounce:
1_2008-11-20 13-10-19-62.JPG
2_2008-11-20 13-11-07-76.JPG
3_wmplayer 2008-11-20 13-22-15-75.JPG
Martin

Post by Martin »

Eagle taking off...
Martin

Post by Martin »

Clearly the eagles are getting more and more interested of the feeding place now, i hope we can see them feed in few days time.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Martin, is it the same.. WOW.. :bounce: beautiful (I made a cut, of the double-picture nr 3, cann't make a bigger picture).. I got this too of the eagle of my picture nr 3, when he left.- He was there for three seconds only..
2008-11-20 13-22-15-75..JPG
Olga

Post by Olga »

Martin wrote:Clearly the eagles are getting more and more interested of the feeding place now, i hope we can see them feed in few days time.
Seems promising!
unp

Post by unp »

Sorry. I must have confused renandeli and Martin into putting here posts that should be in 'Winter Feeding Ground Cams'.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

z
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hello, unp... But I just I forgot where I was when I begun to notice them sitting there behind. Now they are flying there.. here is one (I should move the pics to the right place.. but now i have to go on with work.
eagles_flying_by.JPG
Martin

Post by Martin »

unp wrote:Sorry. I must have confused renandeli and Martin into putting here posts that should be in 'Winter Feeding Ground Cams'.
It´s OK, i moved them to the right place now, actually it´s my fault, i should pay more attention where i post :slap: :D

Return to “Eagles Winter Webcams Forum”