The Eagles' Winter Feeding Ground webcam is now live! 14. 12.2010

Information at Looduskalender about the Winter White-Tailed Eagles Camera
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8921

Webcam link
mms://tv.eenet.ee/nova
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Just a small snippet of news - Renno and Aivar have put the old cam in place but there are problems with transmission.
Renno will return to the site as soon as his work commitments and weather allow. When the new camera arrives, they will just change it over.

It's coming closer!!
ame

Post by ame »

yabba dabba doo! :loveshower:
let's keep our fingers crossed for decent weather... :2thumbsup:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Please remind me -- who was the TV character who said Yabba Dabba Doo? I can hear it in my memory, but no more than that!
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

It was Fred Flintstone of the animated American series The Flintstones. Caveman lives in suburbia. :mrgreen: It was a regular TV-watching event for my family & me when I was a kid.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

i used to watch The Flintstones, too, when i was a kid. i was so small that i and my little sister could not even read yet, and so our mother had to read the subtitles for us. (there were subtitles of cource because us Finns could not understand English. the TV-shows and films still always have subtitles in Finland, not dubbing which is a monsterous form of cultural barbarism.... :mrgreen: )

here's the theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s13X66BFd8
:D
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote:i used to watch The Flintstones, too, when i was a kid. i was so small that i and my little sister could not even read yet, and so our mother had to read the subtitles for us. (there were subtitles of cource because us Finns could not understand English. the TV-shows and films still always have subtitles in Finland, not dubbing which is a monsterous form of cultural barbarism.... :mrgreen: )

here's the theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s13X66BFd8
:D
:D It is amazing that The Flintstones would have had international appeal. At the end of the opening animation the two families go to a drive-in movie theater (cinema). Did they have those in Finland & the rest of Europe? There are still some in the USA, although the large multiplex indoor cinema chains are much more prevalent today.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote: :D It is amazing that The Flintstones would have had international appeal. At the end of the opening animation the two families go to a drive-in movie theater (cinema). Did they have those in Finland & the rest of Europe? There are still some in the USA, although the large multiplex indoor cinema chains are much more prevalent today.
i don't know about the rest of Europe, but there weren't any in Finland. the weather/climate, you see. :mrgreen:
on special occasions films are shown outdoors nowadays but even in the summertime it's risky.
Leica Eagles

Post by Leica Eagles »

Ah The Flintstones! I remember growing up to that show here as a kid. Odd trivia tidbit, the show was actually an animated and rewritten version of another american tv show that startted Jackie Gleason and Art Carney along with Audrey Meadows called "The Honeymooners"

Fred would have been the jackie gleason character Ralph Cramden and Barney would have been Ed Norton
ame

Post by ame »

are there any news of progress with this camera?
i haven't actually been waiting for much serious progress, though, because the weather in Estonia has been so bad recently... i suppose that Renno will wait for good winter weather before he goes into the forest to fix things there.
so we'll still have to wait... maybe next weekend? :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

BTW: how about the Pontu camera at the eagles' nest? i hope Urmas and Renno can install that camera as soon as possible, too. the first pictures from there were taken in January this year and Sulev and Linda were caught visiting the nest not much later... i think it would be very interesting to see how early the eagles really return to the nest fixing it. my guess is that they start rather early, as early as the daylight increases just a little bit. that'll wake up their hormones... :whistling:

besides: i have been wondering whether it would be possible that the Pontu-camera's light sensor switch could be tuned a little bit to the lower light level. i've been looking at the P-pictures from season 2009 and there quite often the birds are already up and busy in their morning activities when the camera turns on, that is at least after the chicks had hatched.

the live camera seems to have started earlier that the P-cam in the 2009 season, as there are screencaptures in the forum taken by some early bird- eagle lovers. i think it would be very valuable if the Pontu-cam also would start alreary in much lower light level. that way it would not be necessary for anyone to wake up so early.. this year even the live camera started rather "late" in the morning, meaning that the Sun was already shining at the nest. during the incubation time the camera started early enough, because then there always was Linda still sleeping. i'm not sure about the hatchling time yet.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

As soon as we get the link to the live webcam, I will ask about the Pontu archive and hope we can have the link for that too. It was a valuable research tool, so let's hope it continues.

Ame, I will send your comments to the technical wizards. It is a valid point.
maertha

Post by maertha »

White-tailed Eagle database project

I am happy to tell you that we have a new part of the forum: The Haliaeetus albicilla database - a White-tailed Eagle project.
You are cordially invited to visit it. Find it at the forum board index at "Database" or just click: viewforum.php?f=46

If you think the White-tailed Eagle project may interest other people, please recommend the website via e-mail, postings in bird forums or per Twitter and other networks.

Kind regards,

Maertha
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I think I want to move this Eagles' Winter Feeding Ground forum further up the Index page.
I feel something coming closer!
And there is something on Facebook, in Estonian -
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good afternoon! :hi:
Greetings to all who are interested about eagles and ravens and other interesting visitors of our eagles feeding place! :D
I'm waiting here and ready for starting! :D
Proud to be a member of SHoW
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Mutikluti, you have had such a long time without eagles. How did you survive? :loveshower:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

ame wrote:BTW: how about the Pontu camera at the eagles' nest? i hope Urmas and Renno can install that camera as soon as possible, too. the first pictures from there were taken in January this year and Sulev and Linda were caught visiting the nest not much later... i think it would be very interesting to see how early the eagles really return to the nest fixing it. my guess is that they start rather early, as early as the daylight increases just a little bit. that'll wake up their hormones... :whistling:

Friday the 10th I saw an eaglepair here in DK making repair on nest - flying new twigs to nest. We have had about 14 days with snow then, but later that day the temperature switched from - to + degrees. I do not know if it was for the first time this season they did so. But I think the climate i DK perhaps is more mild than in Estonia, although it hasn´t been that mild during the last month time or so.
But I have seen this earlier other years by another pair
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good afternoon! :wave:

Our cam is working!!! :headroll: :chick: :D

Proud to be a member of SHoW
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Congratulation with new season!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
ame

Post by ame »

oh boy! :loveshower: :headroll: :bounce:
where's the link? how can i find it? it's not on the EENET.EE page... :puzzled:

Return to “Eagles Winter Webcams Forum”