Latvian Black Storks - 2017

Black Stork nests in Latvia
sova

Re: Latvian Black Storks - 2017

Post by sova »

Solo wrote: Liz, TY very, very muche for all photos, videos, infos ... you are great :2thumbsup: :D
so it is ....splendidly :2thumbsup:
baska

Post by baska »

Hello Liz and all the others :hi:

Liz, TY so much for the remarkable pictures and reports ! :2thumbsup: :D
Everything is so exciting ! I hope that the storks will come back to this tree .....
With these pictures my desire got fulfilled: all I wanted was to have a look at this nest.

It is really schocking that such a big branch can break ! :shock: It is incredible.
The whole tree must be quite rotted.
If the storks come back, it will be the last summer on this tree with them.

I was studying the pictures.
These branches ... (white lines)
... must be the same

... must be those branches

What do you think ?
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Baska :hi:
Māris Strazds writes:
The nests are in the winter so heavy, because of wetness and snow, that branches can break.
baska

Post by baska »

Liz01 wrote:Baska :hi:
Māris Strazds writes:
The nests are in the winter so heavy, because of wetness and snow, that branches can break.
I have read it. - And nevertheless !
I am sure, that a branch of this diameter would never brake if the wood was healthy.
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Latvian guys did very good work! Such situations are really difficult to solve without of damaging nest and left supporting branches.
We never know when some branch can broke, but we can predict it up to a point. Also it is difficult to say, if one of supporting branches broke, will the nest stay if melts. Last year one of branches under Estonian WtE cam nest broke, but nest fall down slowly stick by stick during the nesting period and finally after a summer storm.

New view over current BS nest enables to see also small stream near the nest tree we had possibility to hear previous springs.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Urmas wrote:Latvian guys did very good work! Such situations are really difficult to solve without of damaging nest and left supporting branches.
We never know when some branch can broke, but we can predict it up to a point. Also it is difficult to say, if one of supporting branches broke, will the nest stay if melts. Last year one of branches under Estonian WtE cam nest broke, but nest fall down slowly stick by stick during the nesting period and finally after a summer storm.
Urmas. Thanks for your explanation :2thumbsup: I very much hope that this nest stands for this season.
Can it be, that everything is so strange for the storks that they don't want the nest? There is a lot of free visibility? I hope you understand what I mean :bow:
Urmas wrote: New view over current BS nest enables to see also small stream near the nest tree we had possibility to hear previous springs.
I also noticed it. 2015 was in this brook the Storklet "Upene". :laugh:
Made

Post by Made »

Liz01 wrote:Baska :hi:
Māris Strazds writes:
baska wrote:I have read it. - And nevertheless !
I am sure, that a branch of this diameter would never brake if the wood was healthy.
I try to translate Maris Strazd`s comment with google and correct the text in places, where I cann`t understand the translation :puzzled: May be one can translate better, but I hope, that from this text we can understand the situation better. :book:
Ligzdu nokrišana (melnajam stārķim, bet ne tikai) nav nekas neparasts. Katru gadu iet bojā daļa ligzdu un galvenais dabiskais iemesls ir tieši šāds. Ļoti bieži ligzdas svaru neiztur zars uz kura tā uzbūvēta, it īpaši, jo to ziemā papildinājis liels sniega svars. Gadījumi, kad zars nolūst, bet ligzda paliek (ka šajā gadījumā) ir daudz retāki, lai neteiktu, ka tādu nav vispār. Arī tagad tā nav noticis, lai gan tieši tā izskatās. Zars ir nolūzis tādēļ, ka tam no augšas ir uzkritis cits lūstošs zars, pārplēšot to pa jau sen ieplīsušu spraugu. Tā nu ir gadījies, ka šī vecā plaisa atradās tieši zem ligzdas. Garais zars ar apakšdaļu bijušajam ligzdas atbalstam ir zemē, bet zara augšējā "skaida", kas balsta ligzdu, ir palikusi. Jāsaka gan, ka "skaida" ir apmēram 10 cm bieza un vairāk nekā 20 cm plata, kas ir krietni vairāk, nekā daudzi zari uz kādiem citos kokos atrodas stārķa ligzdas. Tāpēc par palikušās ligzdas stabilitāti kā tādu īpašu bažu nav.

Dropping the nest (for black stork, but not only) is not something new. Every year part of them are gone and the main reason is dropping. In most cases the nest weight does not pass the branch on which it is built, especially in the winter, when it is supplemented with large weight of snow. Cases in which the branch breaks off, but the nest remains (as in this case) is much less frequent, not to say that there are none at all. Even now it has not happened, even though it looks like. Branch is broken because another big branch has fallen on it from the top and slashed it along the old crack. It so happened that the old crack was located directly under the nest. Bottom part of the branch in zone forming support of nest is on the earth, but the top of branch (looks like sliver) has reamained and support the nest. This "sliver" is about 10 cm thick and more than 20 cm wide, which is much more than many other branches of the trees in which the stork nests. Therefore, there are no worry about the nest stability.
baska

Post by baska »

Thank you very much for your effort, Made ! :2thumbsup: :D
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 13

Good Morning :hi:

A squirrel visit the nest :laugh:

Made Thank you so much for the translation. :2thumbsup:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

9:18 nice :innocent:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote:... A squirrel visit the nest :laugh: ...
:laugh: :thumbs:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Archive Melnais Starkis is avible :headroll: Thank you :bow: :loveshower:

ftp://vilandes.ldf.lv/
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 14

still snow at nest....

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 15

still empty nest :rolleyes:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 16

6:39 the snow melts :laugh:

6:40 a great tit visit the nest
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

11:38 a nuthatch visit the nest
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 17

good morning :hi:

9:54 the stream is broken.

No more snow in the nest :laugh:

EDIT:Info from Brachux: There are problems at this moment at LMT side, waiting for internet come back
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 18

7:27 A squirrel visits the nest :laugh:

Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: ...7:27 A squirrel visits thenest :laugh: ...
:D :thumbs: , TY Liz :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 19

Last year Ozols came on March 26. So we have to wait seven days more.

I love the bird concert, what I can hear on this place :innocent:

Return to “Black Storks”