Latvian LSE Webcam Discussion ~ 2009 and 2010

Lesser Spotted Eagles in Latvia
vainamoinen

Re: Latvian LSE Webcam Discussion

Post by vainamoinen »

jopie wrote:Thank you for the info Vainamoinen, and have you decided already if it is male or female? Because I can not tell.
Our eagle expert Dr. U. Bergmanis says, that it's impossible to identify gender at this moment
visitor

Post by visitor »

vainamoinen wrote: No it's the same pair - Grieta and Gints. Members of Latvian forum have decided to give little eaglet name - Gusts (if he is male) or Guste (if she is female). It's not connected to English word "gusts", simple they are Latvian human names, not very popular nowadays.
Thank you! Nice name(s). Which one should we use until we don't know is the chick a boy or a girl? How do Latvians call him/her now?
alice44 wrote:Is it the same nest, or a different one?
Alice, I think if the parents are the same, then the nest should be the same too. The camera angle is different this year and I didn't recognize the nest either.
a storkaholic
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

alice44 wrote:Is it the same nest, or a different one?
I don't know precisely. It's the same territory but eagle pairs usually have several nests in their territories
visitor

Post by visitor »

Grieta wrote:Today fifteen small Latvian lesser spotted eagle was taken to Germany. They incubated from the second eggs and bred in Riga's Zoo.
In Germany remained only about 90 pairs LSE, but while in Latvia there are 20% of world population.
Here is TV story (in Latvian, but see the picture)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1l8KzzqRL8
Thank you for the information, it was new for me and very interesting! :thumbs:

Really glad for the second eggs. Hopefully all the chicks will live happily in their new homes in Germany. Is there any possibility to know in the future how will these young eagles cope? Without any guidance from parents, only on instincts...

How comes Latvia is so popular among Lesser Spotted Eagles? Is there any theory from ornithologs/scientists?
a storkaholic
jopie

Post by jopie »

Well, I still don't know if it's male or female, so better call it young, or chick or something.
visitor

Post by visitor »

jopie wrote:Well, I still don't know if it's male or female, so better call it young, or chick or something.
Lol, "Something" would be a very interesting and original name. :D
a storkaholic
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

visitor wrote: Thank you for the information, it was new for me and very interesting! :thumbs:

Really glad for the second eggs. Hopefully all the chicks will live happily in their new homes in Germany. Is there any possibility to know in the future how will these young eagles cope? Without any guidance from parents, only on instincts...

How comes Latvia is so popular among Lesser Spotted Eagles? Is there any theory from ornithologs/scientists?
About destiny of eaglets in Germany. I think German ornithologists will fit transmitters to young eagles so it will be possible to follow them after nest desertion.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

19:21h
visitor

Post by visitor »

fireblade1 wrote:19:21h
Oh, poor frog! :slap:
a storkaholic
beans

Post by beans »

jopie wrote:Mum is trying to shield her young from too much sun, with her wings.
When he's fully feathered, he'll be able to thermoregulate and heat or cold won't be an issue. Feathers, unless contaminated by oil or another substance, are naturally waterproof. So rain won't be an issue, either. Feathers reflect a bird's nutrition and general condition. If a bird is starving or has an imbalanced diet when he is producing new feathers, these feathers can have deformities called stress marks or hunger traces. These are weak points of the feathers and can negatively impact his flying.

In order for a new feather to grow, it needs to have a blood supply. The blood supply is found in the shaft of the feather. In a small feather, it may not be noticeable, but in a large feather, it is easily seen. Feathers in the wings and in the tail are the largest on a bird and therefore have the largest blood supply going to them. These shafts grow from a follicle in the skin, much like human hair. Because they are supplied with blood while they are growing, they are like pipelines to a bird's blood supply. In a sense, they are like veins themselves.

Once the feather is fully grown, the follicle closes and the blood supply dries up inside the feather shaft, leaving it opaque.

Osprey wing with blood feathers: You can actually see the blood in the shafts when you are holding a bird whose feathers are growing.

click thumbnail

I understand researchers are monitoring what he is fed, and it would be interesting to see that study.

Good article on feathers here: Feather
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
Tahidor

Post by Tahidor »

Interesting to have more knowledge about our favorits! Tank you! Here is a picture of an osprey's featers crowing to be visible out of it's tubes (from a Finnish forum):

jopie

Post by jopie »

visitor wrote: Lol, "Something" would be a very interesting and original name. :D
Visitor, you are too clever :rotf: but I can appreciate it!
asteria

Post by asteria »

Spot-the-Third would be a proper name.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Tahidor

Post by Tahidor »

So much love there is on this nest all the time:

beans

Post by beans »

I just went to the site, and this is what I see on the cam:

:shock:
jopie

Post by jopie »

beans wrote:I just went to the site, and this is what I see on the cam:

:shock:
Hello Beans, I have exactly the same problem. Sound is allright, the image is gone :cry:
beans

Post by beans »

I am limiting my time watching this cam to 15 - 20 minutes and I don't watch every day. I hope the researchers have enough access to complete their study.

If this eaglet is banded, I assume he/she will be weighed and a blood test taken. A blood test provides a great deal of information about a bird.
beans

Post by beans »

As of 5 minutes ago:

fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Wonderful! Such a calm situation. Also the sound.
beans

Post by beans »

If anyone wants to know about blood tests in birds and what we look for, please post that here and I'll provide a short explanation.

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagles”