Latvian Lesser Spotted Eagles webcam - Mētra and Mačo 2014

Lesser Spotted Eagles in Latvia
asteria

Re: Latvian Lesser Spotted Eagles webcam - Mētra and Mačo 20

Post by asteria »

I think Metra somehow learnt that the egg is bad and left it for raven. There was a sad animation about the penguin who was incubating a white stone instead the egg and finally died, but in nature birds always know which eggs are fertile and which are infertile.
Michi

Post by Michi »

OMG! :shock: This is so sad! What a strange season for the LSE. Poor Metra and Maco.
The whole work with incubating this egg in vain ... :'-(
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

Lussi05 wrote: quote="Felis silvestris" I still think this end is better than possibly watch a chick hatch and die of starvation!

Felis, I totally agree, it would have been terrible!!
I agree. Now Mētra will go with Mačo and look for the food for themselves to farer places... we will meet next season with them in better situation, I hope... Image Image
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Cable Guy

Post by Cable Guy »

how raven stole the egg
http://youtu.be/0ChJwjp7z0E
ame

Post by ame »

the other end of the egg was quite brown, as if there were rust on it. could it have been broken in the other end, just a little, and then gone bad if it was infertile? :puzzled:
i took pictures from Gable Guy's video and made a slowmotion gif. here it can be seen clearly how there's a circle of brown colour aroung the sharper end of the egg.

if the egg was close to full-term then the parents would have heard some eggtalk from it if it were fertilized. if they heard nothing that's probably why the egg was left alone.

this reminds me of the buzzards two years ago, how the egg was left alone just a day or two before due-day. i've been thinking that the egg was unfertilized and silent and that is why the male lost interest in it and left the egg alone for hours in rain.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

12.35 Mačo came with a prey in the nest and Mētra also came in, thanked Mačo loudly... Mačo brought in a twig... looks like they performed a ritual confirming coming to this nest the next nesting season... so nice to witness it...
Have a nice summer together, Mētra&Mačo! and return here the next year! Image

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

We have seen this kind of a ritual on the LSE nest (old BS nest) too, it is really nice to see and it gives hope for next year. We have seen two healthy chicks leave this nest in 4 years.

Thanks to everyone who made it possible to watch, for the comments, the photos and videos and the connection to DabasDati forum and everyone there! :wave:
Hope to see everyone again next year for a more successful season!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Thank you to ALL for your comments, video, gif and picture :wave:
I agree with you Ame, the egg looked as if it was broken in the other end, and Metra would not have left it if it was close to hatching.
Lianaliesma, I'm so glad that you saw Mētra&Mačo in the nest today, with food and new twig. A nice and well deserved gesture for Mētra.It gives us great hope for next season:))
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=624 ... 33518072a6
The email I received today
Drama in the Lesser Spotted Eagle-Horst
Eggs robbery prevented successful breeding.....
Manu

Post by Manu »

What sad news :cry: What a very bad year for the LSE's.

Thanks a lot for all your reports and pictures. It wasn't possible for me to watch the webcams this spring. A thank you to all of you.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

TVnet article - seems that egg died when at the beginning of brooming it was left alone for manu hours and temperature was low...

http://www.tvnet.lv/zala_zeme/dzivnieki ... i_mazuliti
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

that's just sad :cry:
lianaliesma wrote:TVnet article - seems that egg died when at the beginning of brooming it was left alone for manu hous and temperature was low...
thank you for the information.

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagles”