Discussion of Hunting

Discussions about all issues like transmitters, ringing, hunting
caysa

Re: Discussion of Hunting

Post by caysa »

Is it Lapinkoira (Laphound) you have, renandeli? They sure were good and brave to chase the moose away!! A mother moose with a calf is very very dangerous :shock:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Yes, they are Finnish Lapdogs - Suomen lapinkoira, original Sami race, reindeers sepherding dogs. Of course they can't sepherd reindeers here in south, but they still have the capability, and they sometimes try to sepherd us and our guest, to keep us all in order. :innocent: Now they realized that the huge moose with quite as big calf as the mother did not belong to our herd.They protected us be cause we are the boss of herd..eh, i think it's me.. 8-) Many Lapdog owners go to Lapland and there is the possibility to test the instinct to sepherd( a kind of competitions) with reindeers.
the dog in the picture is not our Finnish Lapdog. This is how the test looks out. All dogs don't get the certificate, Sami people are accurate in this case. A lapdog must be able to wrangle immediately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
rebane

Post by rebane »

I have a question to Estonian hunters. Where can I find information about hunting regulations and how the agreements between hunters and government work.

Sorry I am going to write in estonian what I am interested in.
Mind huvitab kuidas on reguleeritud jahipidamine riigimetsas ja kuidas erinevad jahiklubid selleks õiguse saavad. Veel huvitab mind kuidas toimib erinevate metsloomade arvukuse piiramine. Näiteks mis soodustusi saavad jahimehed lihasööjate arvukuse piiramise eest.
Usun, et see informatsioon on kuskil internetis juba üleval, kuid ma ei tea kustkohast otsida. Kui teate linke kust sellist infot leida võis siis palun andke teada. :help:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Rebane, I have asked a couple of people to visit this topic, to see if they can answer your question. Let's hope they will visit soon.
okaskera

Post by okaskera »

rebane wrote:I have a question to Estonian hunters. Where can I find information about hunting regulations and how the agreements between hunters and government work.

Sorry I am going to write in estonian what I am interested in.
Mind huvitab kuidas on reguleeritud jahipidamine riigimetsas ja kuidas erinevad jahiklubid selleks õiguse saavad. Veel huvitab mind kuidas toimib erinevate metsloomade arvukuse piiramine. Näiteks mis soodustusi saavad jahimehed lihasööjate arvukuse piiramise eest.
Usun, et see informatsioon on kuskil internetis juba üleval, kuid ma ei tea kustkohast otsida. Kui teate linke kust sellist infot leida võis siis palun andke teada. :help:
Jahiseadus: https://www.riigiteataja.ee/ert/act.jsp?id=12766181

Jahieeskiri: https://www.riigiteataja.ee/ert/act.jsp?id=13055370

Seaduste ja muu sellise puhul on riigiteataja kõige kindlam koht :P
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Law of Hunting: https://www.riigiteataja.ee/ert/act.jsp?id=12766181

Regulations for Hunting: https://www.riigiteataja.ee/ert/act.jsp?id=13055370

What comes to Laws and all kind of Regulations, the best place to look at is "Riigi Teataja" (the official
State Gazette)

That is what okaskera was telling us
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

An article on the LK main page revives this discussion about hunting, and the need to ban lead as ammunition.

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/3615
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Jo UK wrote:An article on the LK main page revives this discussion about hunting, and the need to ban lead as ammunition.

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/3615
Yes, that is a much discussed theme.
Basically I´m not against using lead-free ammunition but there´s a real problem that is not solved yet: Lead-free ammunition does not kill the animals as fast as lead ammunition - after the shot the animals often run hundrets of metres until they die. Until then they have to suffer. And often it also takes too long to find the dead animal and it can´t be used as food anymore. It doesn´t make sense to let thousands of animals suffer to save the life of a some eagles (although I love eagles very much!). That´s the reason why I don´t use lead-free ammunition (as long as better ones are invented). To prevent eagles and other birds of prey from getting the lead into their bodies I never leave the intestines (where a lot of the lead is in) lying around.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Juta has posted the interview with Tiit Hunt, Head Zoologist of the Estonian Museum of Natural History.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78
Liis

Post by Liis »

Less happy news: Sweden has its first legal wolf hunting period in a very long time; 10 000 hunters have registered and are armed, trained, equipped and prepared to their back teeth and more to get at the allowed ration of 27 wolves. 22 wolves plus probably some more were triumphantly brought down on the very first day of the hunt.
A not unimportant reason for the hunt: wolves are now numerous enough to compete with hunters for prey, not the least elks for the all-important elk hunting season.
(This reason is even stronger in the case of the lynx, that can't be accused of doing much damage to humans - but does slay and eat deer).
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The Montana season on wolves closed after 75 wolves were killed (of an estimated population of about 500).
I think Oregon has two wolves and there is lots of concern about them -- it is odd because it has been shown that because wolves compete with mountain lions, when there are wolves there are less mountain lions and mountain lions are a lot more dangerous to people than wolves.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Sweden's target is to have 200-250 wolves, after reestablishment of wolves started. It is not clear if 200 were reached before the regular shooting off started now. There has been a steady licensed as well as illegal hunting during all the years, among this a rather nasty tracking with snow vehicles.
Several - if not most - of the wolves with transmitters for scientific studies have been traced and killed.
There is reasonable compensation for cattle including reindeer killed by wolves, also subsidies for building safer cattle enclosures.
I don't live in a wolf area. There may be - or may have been - one lynx. I believe I can accept wolves if they were there in the neighbourhood; even rather than the dogs many people keep. A wolf pack in a lonely place is scary, true. Curiously enough the debate on bears - potentially more dangerous, and known to have killed people recently - is much more lowkey.
I cannot see any reason at all presently in Sweden to allow lynx hunting.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I just read that the goal is to have about 210 wolves in Sweden. Here we have some nonprofit non governmental groups that help to repay farmers for animals killed. And federal workers can kill wolves that are caught killing livestock at any time.

Bears also, that are not afraid of people are often killed. In Oregon, state (or federal I am not sure) forest rangers or maybe people they hire, kill cougars on a semi regular basis. I think we passed a law forbidding them to hunt with dogs.

Last year in a very odd case a chihuahua chased a cougar from its yard and from the lab the cougar had cornered and this was more or less in town, in the town only 5 miles from my town. I think the thinking is that there are so many deer around in town that the cougars are moving closer. Somewhere in the US there have been a couple of people attacked by cougars while riding their bikes or jogging but as far as I know, no people have been attacked by wolves. Yet wolves get so much hate.

And like in Sweden the best studied pack in Montana has had at least its lead two wolves killed, so now much of the study is basically over.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I just looked up cougars -- I was trying to get a feel for the lynx/cougar differences and I found this article from just a few hours ago about a dog that saved a kid from a cougar.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ttack.html

The attack was on the mainland but the most cougars are on Vancouver Island where there are no wolves or coyotes to compete with them.

Deer seem to be moving into town where they can't be hunted and...
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

In our local newspaper L'Alsace today 4/01/2010 the same news about hunting wolves...resumes after a lull of 45 years. :rant: :cry:
http://www.lalsace.fr/fr/france-monde/a ... is-lo.html
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:In our local newspaper L'Alsace today 4/01/2010 the same news about hunting wolves...resumes after a lull of 45 years. :rant: :cry:
http://www.lalsace.fr/fr/france-monde/a ... is-lo.html
At first I thought wolf hunting was taking place in Alsace :shock:
Wolves seem to have an international significance and the issues they evoke touch on western responses to the big animals of Africa.
Brit

Post by Brit »

Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Here (Montana and Idaho) at least it is partially good news -- not so long ago there were NO wolves.
Liis

Post by Liis »

alice44 wrote:I just looked up cougars -- I was trying to get a feel for the lynx/cougar differences and I found this article from just a few hours ago about a dog that saved a kid from a cougar.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ttack.html
The attack was on the mainland but the most cougars are on Vancouver Island where there are no wolves or coyotes to compete with them.
Cougars and lynxes behave quite differently with regard to humans. I don't think even the most fanatic hunters or safe-wilderness-oriented people here have seriously accused lynxes of attacking people, only possibly of taking a cat or a pet dog.
alice44 wrote:Deer seem to be moving into town where they can't be hunted and...
Deer and boars are, to be truthful, pests when allowed to increase without restrictions. The hunting season doesn't cull them sufficiently, but as noted, lynxes aren't allowed to compete with hunters (one has to be sure of a good next hunt, after all ...). Moreover, deer have lost their normal shyness for humans - as you wrote, Alice, they happily move into settled environments.
This is probably the greater problem with many "wild and dangerous" animals: not yet, but if they really change behaviour and lose their natural shyness. Some - like bears - seem to do it easier than others, like wolves and lynxes. Our way of living may well encourage such changes unless we are prepared to consider and take some trouble in and with nature.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote: At first I thought wolf hunting was taking place in Alsace :shock:
Wolves seem to have an international significance and the issues they evoke touch on western responses to the big animals of Africa.
Sorry Alice,Liis I should have been more precise. :puzzled: :blush:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Discussions”