Tõnn's Travels

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
JanE

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by JanE »

[quote
Four locations per day is best we can get for Tõnn in autumn time (after every three hours). But sometimes the caps appear in data, though. So he could make quite long secret flights.[/quote]

Thanks Urmas, that's what I thought :thumbs:
The danish birdobs are here: http://www.dofbasen.dk/observationer/index.php, only in danish as it seems but look for Stor Skrigeørn.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Thanks, JanE!
Did not find any observations about Tõnn in Denmark, yet...

but from previous times there are some images of GSEs in Denmark:
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=l ... ies_id=198
Liis

Post by Liis »

Urmas wrote:Thanks, JanE!
Did not find any observations about Tõnn in Denmark, yet...

but from previous times there are some images of GSEs in Denmark:
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=l ... ies_id=198
And check map of sightings of GSEs in Denmark since 1866 www.netfugl.dk/popup.php?..._id=198 ! :innocent:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis wrote: And check map of sightings of GSEs in Denmark since 1866 www.netfugl.dk/popup.php?..._id=198 ! :innocent:
So how come T6nn hasn't met the 'love-of-his-life ' yet with so many there in Denmark ??? And maybe more elsewhere too.. :unsure:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

3 reports of Tõnn in Danish Orn. Soc. bird database yesterday October 1st at 11.45 am & 3.45 pm, with photos http://www.dofbasen.dk/search/result.php?... =dato
Western coast of Själland.
Pretty certain it is Tõnn, agrees with position on Birdmap, antenna seems to be there on 3rd photo.
Last year's trip was a little more southerly, just passing across Denmark from Sweden to Germany in one day.

EDIT: meeting other GSEs in Denmark: Macdoum :hi: - sadly, the impressive sightings map covers ALL years since 18XX (more seriously, 1960es-70es onwards). Not so many per year, fewer in recent years it seems, and no resident GSEs. :unsure:

EDIT 2: Antenna is noted in text to all Danish observations Oct 1, so GSE is Tõnn.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Is Tõnn in Germany?
No more observations in Danish bird obs database after Saturday Oct 1st.
If Denmark took part in the EuroBirdwatch there should have been enough people looking on Sunday.

EDIT Oct 4:
Birdmap update Oct 3 (latest data Oct 2): Tõnn still in Denmark; no more reports in DOF database.
Tõnn is some 10 km SW of Fuglebjerg (Bird Mountain :innocent: ) at autoroute 22.
Iti in Ukraine, just on border to Moldavia: long trip in last recorded day.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn is still in Denmark - latest Birdmap update, data from Oct 4 - and making a serious tour of Själland. Latest position on Birdmap on E20 autoroute ... (Thank you, Urmas!)

Jan E or anyone else who knows: are there reports in netfugl.dk that are not reported in the DOF base?
Liis

Post by Liis »

Latest Birdmap update (data from Oct 9) has Tõnn still in Denmark, maybe looking to cross to Fehmarn in Germany?

Meanwhile, bird blogger Mark Etheridge wrote on Sept 21
"Most of the important birding sites are detailed in the Opus section of BirdForum; look for Clot de Galvany (my local reserve), Santa Pola Salinas, El Pinet and the jewel in the crown - El Hondo. The latter is one of the best birding sites in Spain with some really spectacular birds such as Marbled Teal, White-headed Duck and Purple Swamphen, and we are awaiting the arrival of Tonn, the Estonian satellite-tagged Greater Spotted Eagle for what I think will be his fourth year wintering in Spain."
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2258095
(my italics)

EDIT Oct 11:
Tõnn was observed on Sunday, Oct 9, at Bjergsted bakker on west coast of central Själland, around 14-17.30, hunting for prey. Observer's note
"Tõnn apparently headed away from Bjergsted bakker. We saw a short-tailed bird, shorter than wing span. A powerful eagle with a smaller beak than a WTE. It was mobbed by a red kite and some ravens. The eagle was clearly bigger and more powerful than the kite, but not as big as a WTE. We hope he is still in the area so that we can get photos."
http://www.dofbasen.dk/popobs.php?obs=o ... d=10462351
(Latest Birdmap position, also Oct 9, is at the southern tip of Själland)
Mark Etheridge

Post by Mark Etheridge »

Liis wrote: Meanwhile, bird blogger Mark Etheridge wrote on Sept 21
"we are awaiting the arrival of Tonn, the Estonian satellite-tagged Greater Spotted Eagle for what I think will be his fourth year wintering in Spain."
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2258095
That would be me! :wave:
I have been a long-term lurker in here ever since I first saw Tonn in El Hondo two years ago. He has quickly become my favourite bird, and I'm always on the lookout for news of him. Thanks to everyone here for keeping us updated, there are several birders based in Spain who will be scanning the skies for his reappearance over the next few weeks. Unfortunately I won't be back there until December, but I hope by then he will be settled in and giving us his usual excellent flight displays! :thumbs:
Liis

Post by Liis »

:wave: Hello, Mark Etheridge - thank you for keeping an eye on Tõnn!
Is El Hondo still a good place for birds?
We probably all sincerely hope that he will soon be moving on to Spain - it is getting cold even in the southern parts of Scandinavia. No moves on latest Birdmap update (data from Oct 11), still looking across to Germany from Denmark, but his data transmission may not have been due yet.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Tõnn clearly moves to Germany now.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
leonia

Post by leonia »

I bet he had crossed Germany unobserved once more . . . :whistling:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Tõnn reached Himmelpforten!
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Mark Etheridge

Post by Mark Etheridge »

Liis wrote::wave: Hello, Mark Etheridge - thank you for keeping an eye on Tõnn!
Is El Hondo still a good place for birds?
El Hondo is a fabulous place for birds at most times of the year - Tõnn will be in good company, as you know there were at least 3 other GSE's there last year as well as other raptors including Booted Eagle, Short-toed Eagle, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, Golden Eagle, and other birds include large flocks of Flamingo and Common Crane in winter.

I have several birding friends in the area, when I get news of Tõnn or other GSE's arriving I will report it in here. Keep up the excellent work you are all doing! :2thumbsup:
leonia

Post by leonia »

Seems that Tönn has just passed Kirchweyhe in the south of Bremen. I lived in Bremen during all my years at school (long time ago). Its a flat country with a lot of meadows alongside the Weser river. Besides that the ground gets a bit higher with a lot of fields and small forests. :shake:
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn might have waited 1 or 2 days more and he would have had company in Denmark.
14 observations of a GSE on Själland on October 14 - but it was probably the same bird, 4K old. It crossed over from Falsterbo in Sweden to the "usual" landing point, Stevns Klint.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:nod: Way to go Tönn. We will watch out for you all the way. 8-)
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Mark Etheridge

Post by Mark Etheridge »

Tönn will have company when he arrives at El Hondo - a GSE was seen there yesterday (18 Oct) by Graham Critchell. :thumbs:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Tönn ( see I got your name nearly right,learning all the time. ) I see you are near here ? Call in if you need anything. Anyway,have a good trip down south. :D
I'm :wave:
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:Tönn ( see I got your name nearly right,learning all the time. ) I see you are near here ? Call in if you need anything. Anyway,have a good trip down south. :D
I'm :wave:
He is passing nearer to you this year than last, isn't he? Give him a wave!
About meeting other GSEs in El Hondo:
what are the "normal" wintering quarters of Estonian GESs, and from where do the birds in Spain come?
Iti, Tõnn's probable mother, is already around her winter place on Turkey's eastern Mediterranean coast. So he can't have inherited his route from her.

(And hmm - do we want Tõnn to meet the love of his life in El Hondo and be enticed to some totally other country?)

Return to “Migration Maps and News”