Pitti

Re: Eagles Winter Feeding Ground 2012

Post by Pitti »

:peek:

Oh my God, this is Lake Nova :laugh:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

The picture is on again. Yes, it's a lake now. Not a pond!
Liis

Post by Liis »

OT, but since there are no birds anyway ...

Agree, not a pond. Pond and lake are different species, born in different ways. :book:. I think ...

Although in these days a pond can be made to look like a lake, given an excavator or two. Conversely, a lake can take on a pond-like appearance but then it is likely to be on its way to death.

About -let, as in lakelet:
In Estonian the ending -ke is sprinkled liberally at the end of nouns and names to indicate something small and lovable: kiisuke, elevandike, kotkake and so on (kitten, elephant, eagle). The lovable aspect is by now likely to be as strong as marking (imaginary) size. A nasty little lake would probably not be called järveke. But basically anything can be -ke-d

Same use as German -chen.

Nothing corresponding in Swedish, for instance.

English -let: agree, flatlet is smaller than flat (but not necessarily more lovable). But, Alice: quadruplet? :mrgreen:
venegor

Post by venegor »

The chamber looks upwards, therefore to see only head Buzzard
Bea

Post by Bea »

If all the water here of Lake Nova would freeze overnight it would be a perfect skatingground :mrgreen:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Today was so unhappy day... :cry: Seems what will be tomorrow...See you all tomorrow morning again! :wave:
Proud to be a member of SHoW
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Bea wrote:If all the water here of Lake Nova would freeze overnight it would be a perfect skatingground :mrgreen:
I was thinking about that -- I saw it is meant to get colder and Jo posted it is meant to get colder.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

The freeze is supposed to start tonight and gradually deepen, according to ILM

http://www.ilm.ee/tallinn/

Ooops - that was for Tallinn.
Silma will take a little longer to cool down
http://www.ilm.ee/silma/
ame

Post by ame »

i had a look at the camera a few times today and i must say i agree with Mutikluti: a depressing day: rain, rain, rain.... it can't stay like this all winter.

welcome to the board knulp! nice picture of a jay. :2thumbsup:
it is such a beautiful bird, and the zoom fuction is great! :headroll:
ame

Post by ame »

Liis wrote:OT, but since there are no birds anyway ...

Agree, not a pond. Pond and lake are different species, born in different ways. :book:. I think ...

Although in these days a pond can be made to look like a lake, given an excavator or two. Conversely, a lake can take on a pond-like appearance but then it is likely to be on its way to death.

About -let, as in lakelet:
In Estonian the ending -ke is sprinkled liberally at the end of nouns and names to indicate something small and lovable: kiisuke, elevandike, kotkake and so on (kitten, elephant, eagle). The lovable aspect is by now likely to be as strong as marking (imaginary) size. A nasty little lake would probably not be called järveke. But basically anything can be -ke-d

Same use as German -chen.

Nothing corresponding in Swedish, for instance.

English -let: agree, flatlet is smaller than flat (but not necessarily more lovable). But, Alice: quadruplet? :mrgreen:
i Finnish the "diminutive function" is shown in the end of word with the ending -nen, like -chen in German and -let in English. (i love the word pondlet! :D ) but i was really surprised to learn that there isn't a corresponding ending in Swedish. i had never thought about that.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

ame wrote:i had a look at the camera a few times today and i must say i agree with Mutikluti: a depressing day: rain, rain, rain.... it can't stay like this all winter.

welcome to the board knulp! nice picture of a jay. :2thumbsup:
it is such a beautiful bird, and the zoom fuction is great! :headroll:
Welcome knulp
and I agree with Ame about the picture of the Jay
Us Americans usually just see little grey blobs with a stripe on their sides. It is always nice to be reminded how beautiful the jays are.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good morning! :wave:

I saw how Tiit visited the feeding place few minutes ago...it's so dark and I didn't understand what he brought but something there is for our feathered friends! :2thumbsup:
Proud to be a member of SHoW
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Good morning :hi:

someone was shining a flashlight
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Maybe new fish ?

very windy this morning
alice44

Post by alice44 »

It seems to be windy, at least it sounds windy and there is thunder (I heard thunder at Kasmu earlier)
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Yes, welcome, Knulp, & thank you for the picture of the jay.

I agree that the Eurasian Jays seen in Estonia are lovely, but I must disagree with Alice's statement about jays that we Americans "usually just see little grey blobs with a stripe on their sides." We actually have several species of jays. Along the west coastal areas of the USA where Alice is located, the jays seen are the Gray (or grey) Jay-- a lovely grey, very tame bird also called a "camp robber" or a "whiskey jack." There is also the Pinyon Jay (a western mountain states species), which is a blue-grey color; Stellar's Jay, another western mountain states species which should be found near Alice's area (bright blue body & black, crested head); the Western Scrub-Jay of the western states lowlands areas (blue with grey around eyes & on back); & then the most wide-spread jay over about 2/3 of the country, the Blue Jay (in my area, central USA), a beautiful blue bird with a crested head, some white on wings, a soft white-grey belly, & some black striping near the eyes. I am familiar with the Gray Jay (these will come down & actually eat out of your hand, they are fearless), the Pinyon Jay, & the Stellar's Jay because I grew up in Montana, a northwestern state where all 3 of these are found. I now am surrounded by Blue Jays as I live in the center of the USA in Missouri now.

Blue Jay
© Gary Mueller/PFW

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There are actually a few more species located in small areas in the southern states. If interested, info is here: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/browse_tax/20/

Edit: :blush: Sorry for such a long post, I just like jays, although many people consider them a pest in neighborhoods. They are LOUD!
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Those clouds coming in look ominous. I hear sleet falling sometimes, too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

no no Kitty
I only meant our views of the Eurasian Jays -- as seen on the pig cam for example are just grey blobs. I forget that they are beautiful -- and I don't think have ever seen one at any of the feeders, where as here jays do come to feeders. I agree our jays are lovely (although yours maybe prettier than mine)

Do Eurasian Jays come to feeders?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Is there some rumbling thunder or is that in my head?
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote:no no Kitty
I only meant our views of the Eurasian Jays -- as seen on the pig cam for example are just grey blobs. I forget that they are beautiful -- and I don't think have ever seen one at any of the feeders, where as here jays do come to feeders. I agree our jays are lovely (although yours maybe prettier than mine)

Do Eurasian Jays come to feeders?
Ooooohhhh! I thought you meant we didn't have very pretty jays. :slap: :blush: You are right, we do not usually see such a good picture of the Eurasian jays on the cams. I recall last year they landed on teh bird table at the back of the Siga boar cam (were the deer carcass is now), but I wouldn't actually call that visiting a feeder. I don't think I've seen any at the Toidumaja feeder cam.

It looks like the storm is definitely coming now. Look at that snow blow in the wind gust!
Kitty KCMO

Return to “Eagles Winter Webcams Forum”