American Bald Eagles.

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
venegor

Re: American Bald Eagles.

Post by venegor »

12.29pm
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Venegor and Kitty, thank you for all the beautiful pictures and videos from the nests :wave: I have been waiting in excitiement all weekend for the first chick to hatch in Decorah. No chick yet, but it can happen any time!!
According to the birdsong it seems to be a lot of birds around the Decorah family, and sometimes it sounds like McNasty from Metras neighbourhood is on a visit. Maybe it's the Red- Winged Blackbird you mentioned earlier?
- a little visitor has got mum's (soon to be) attention:
- what species is it? It reminds me a bit of a Sparrow..

The little eaglet in the Sooner nest is rather restless. Sometimes he is pretty close to the edge :shock:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Lussi05 wrote:. . . seems to be a lot of birds around the Decorah family, and sometimes it sounds like McNasty from Metras neighbourhood is on a visit. Maybe it's the Red- Winged Blackbird you mentioned earlier?
- a little visitor has got mum's (soon to be) attention:
- what species is it? It reminds me a bit of a Sparrow..
Yes, there are a lot of birds around the eagles' nest. The surrounding farmstead & fish hatchery must provide a lot of food, & of course there is the small river flowing by at the base of the tree, so there are lots of shrubs & smaller trees for nesting. The birds you heard scolding so much are the same as in your photo, Lussi-- house sparrows. They were in fine spirits this morning & seemed outraged that there was a big eagle in their territory! :laugh:

Here are links to the red-winged blackbird so you can see & listen to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_Blackbird

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red- ... bird/id/ac
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Portraits of the lovely Decorah mother from early morning, 25 Mar 2012.

Cam operator panned the cam around to show the countryside while waiting for the chick to hatch. A house sparrow scolds Mama over & over-- "wow-wow-wow, chit-chit-chit." There were lots of people on hatch watch observing the nest from nearby today-- you could hear talking in the background all day long.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Family at the Sooner nest. Parents have a bit of argument about who gets a bite of the fish. Chick is resting in the sunlight.

The eaglets at Vian are enjoying the afternoon sunshine & pulling out their old baby down. Then each in turn goes to the toilet.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

No chick at the Decorah nest, yet. Tomorrow, perhaps.

Quiet night at Mother Goose's nest. Only some traffic & a few frogs calling.

Links to other videos start here: viewtopic.php?p=132563#p132563
Kitty KCMO
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Thank you for your answer, and the links about the Red-Winged Blackbird Kitty. It's a very special and beautiful bird, and I hear that it's not the same bird who is chattering around the Decorah nest. We have House Sparrows here, but I don't have them around my house. I have a lot of Tree Sparrows though, and they are also very talkative :gathering:
No chick in Decorah today either, at least not as I have seen..
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Progress at the Decorah nest! :headroll: Chick is pipping the eggshell! It woun't be long now. :loveshower:

Linked to: dolphineus's photobucket album at http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/dolphineus/
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Video of first look at pipped egg from Raptor Resource Project's Facebook page.

[youtube]VRB8zpo_Ws8&feature[/youtube]
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

My movies from the afternoon & evening 26 Mar 2012 (some have no sound as I was talking on the phone with my mom at the time).

17:30 local USA time-- Decorah-Female Downy Woodpecker-26 Mar 2012 (no sound): A female downy woodpecker foraging on a branch near the mother eagle.

18:19 local USA time-- Decorah-Dad to Branch-26 Mar 2012: Mama returns & Dad goes to a branch overlooking the farm. Pipped egg clearly in view at change over. Notice the white horse by the barn in the background. Also, it was beginning to rain a little bit.

20:07 local USA time-- Decorah-Barred Owls Calling-26 Mar 2012: A pair of barred owls began to call near the nest, then moved away.

Close-up picture of the pipped egg, the leftmost one.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The chick has pipped the egg open a bit; now in the night, the chick is peeping a greeting to its mom through the open eggshell. The little sweetie still has a lot of work to do, but should make it out of the shell by sometime in the next few hours or so.

12:30 am 27 Mar local USA time

Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Kitty KCMO wrote:The chick has pipped the egg open a bit; now in the night, the chick is peeping a greeting to its mom through the open eggshell. The little sweetie still has a lot of work to do, but should make it out of the shell by sometime in the next few hours or so.

12:30 am 27 Mar local USA time

Kitty that is the best recording of a hatching chick I ever heard. :2thumbsup:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
venegor

Post by venegor »

Song
venegor

Post by venegor »

For the present three eggs (I saw, but has not had time to photograph)
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

I don't know the time, sorry, but the chick is hatching at Decorah:
Edit: The chick hatched at 1:16 CDT, according to the American forum.
:loveshower: :loveshower:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

14:01, local time - feeding at Vian:
14:08, local time - it almost looks as If the mother in the Sooner nest is sitting on her lively Eaglet, to protect him from the wind and the edge of the nest.. :D
- it's windy in all three nests today.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:loveshower: :loveshower: :headroll: Thank you for the pictures, Lussi & Venegor! I have not been well today & was not able to look before now, so it is wonderful to see the tiny chick as it was out of the egg in your photo, Lussi. I am trying to get a look on the cam right now but it is horribly windy there, very loud roar in the microphone! Mama is sitting tight on the little one, so I haven't seen it live yet.

@ Macdoum, I am glad I was able to see & record at just that moment last night when the little one was making its first sounds through the eggshell. The Raptor Resource Project got a listen just a few minutes before I did, I learned later, so I was not first, just one of the earliest to hear. It was so nice & quiet that the mic picked up the cheeping perfectly.

Edit-- I found video on a newspaper web site to show the first sighting of the chick right after hatching. There is no sound (probably turned off as the wind is SO noisy today). http://whotv.com/2012/03/27/egg-hatch-d ... 8JQc0MH_-t
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Local USA times are on the videos' titles.
My first live view of the eaglet. The cam goes so close that the view is not very clear, but you can see it moving.

Such a very windy day, almost too loud to hear anything else (so I turned the sound way down). Mama sits tight on her eggs & chick, though.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Local USA times are on the videos' titles.

Dad brought a nice portion of fish for Mama.

A glimpse of the new little eaglet chick.

Kitty KCMO
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

I opened the Decorah cam and discovered tha the second eaglet have hatched today :loveshower: It was feeding time but only one, it must have been the oldest, seemed to be hungry. The youngest is probably to "fresh" to be hungry yet, and is lying quiet behind his/her sibling.

- very cute...
Kitty, beautiful videos of the new little eaglet :wave:

Return to “Eagles”