Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

Post by Olga »

I took several video fragments of the 'paw', but it was not that easy :D

I think the paw looks better today. There was no more seen that 'bulge' or 'stalemate' (patti, kohouma?) or it had decreased.
Two days ago it looked like this:

Today the paw looks like this:

She let's the paw to rest?? Of course one can imagine that a 'hand' you need for walk and climb is sensitive!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Two more pics of the paw of Paula, today at 8:50 in the morning:

Olga

Post by Olga »

For one hour after Paula at 10:00 came a male squirrel, and he too looks familiar - (name suggestions allowed..)

Of course I can't know if he is the mate of Paula, but it would perhaps not be wonder.. 8-)

Olga

Post by Olga »

The last video of today: Paula's mate (not for 100% sure):

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga the poor squirrel's paw looks like she caught it and 'squashed' it in a ? trap or wire ? :cry:
Poor,poor little squirrel but it does look a bit better now.

Are you going to open Spring and Summer in Finland soon.... :puzzled: That is if spring has come to Squirrel Hill :rolleyes: ... :nod: ....if you still have snow,then I suppose its still winter. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, macdoum :wave:

We are promised to have quite cold still, even -10 here in Southern Finland, -20 in North! It looks like spring, but a 'second' winter may be at hands in next weekend.
I wish they are wrong!

But it would be alright to open a new topic for Spring and Summer in Finland 2012, from the first April e.g.

I went and put nuts there at the root of the spruce of squirrels. I wish the injured squirrel will find them. Yes, I thought too that the paw looked a bit better yesterday.

Olga

Post by Olga »

test
Imagegif maker
:D
Alright, I was just playing a bit. I have seen today only him, the other one of the male squirrels I think may recognize.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: No others seen today, only this small male squirrel. I have a strong feeling that it is the same who we used call as Baby boy I mean this one, seen for one year ago:
viewtopic.php?p=98744#p98744
The same one as in last November 2011:

Today:

Olga

Post by Olga »

continues:

[youtube]/KocIddYXyx8[/youtube]

Olga

Post by Olga »

Olga

Post by Olga »

I came to my room at 8:30. A gray squirrel was sitting at the platform. But the dogs begun to bark and jump against the door, they wanted to go out. The squirrel left at same second and did not return yet.

Soon I happened to see something else :laugh:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

A hare, great! Not so often to see, usually we only see the traks on the snow at winter. I see it has gotten it's summer coat. Thank you for all the great pictures Olga. Poor Paula with her injured paw. I hope it improves quickly, although she seems to handle it well :2thumbsup:
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: I wish the same that the wounds on Paula's paw will recover. I can't think about that she has been trapped by.. huh,.. what's the word??.. google: 'rotanloukku' = rat trap. I have never heard that there are here mice or rats trying to go into houses..

There are two empty houses close to us. The other one has been uninhabited for 15 years, but the second one only for some two tree months.

It's known that wood mice and voles (and moles too?) want to go in empty houses, and the new owners could try to avoid them to invade their property. But who on earth would put a trap on an open place where other animals too could go trapped??Trash cans (garbage boxes outodoors) are well sealed, they can't attract invaders..

I have my doubts,.. I fear that a certain cat has been free again.. :cry: She looks so sweet, but.. you know.. :cry: Today I saw the same cat there down on the hill road by the post boxes, the same one I saw for two years ago at the time when Silkear and Anja got quite bad injuries.

e.g. she was lurking there on the top of the hill, and there was a squirrel pup on the pine by the cat, the pup was without any way to escape, summer 2010. So sad!

Now the cat was just returning from the hill! If the cat is seen continuosly I have to think if I have better to stop the squirrel restaurant in summer time - to save the squirrel pups not be too used to come here, to one and same place , the cat knows too much..

I could give them nuts in some other place, at the root of the huge spruce, or to hang a cup on some branch. Then squirrels do not need to land at all.. What to do, I have to think..
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I couldn't get a good sense of what sort of damage was done to the paw, but I doubt it was a cat -- maybe just my cats would never have come close to a squirrel. Flash hated them with a passion, because they were so much better in the trees than she was.

The paw seems to be getting better so I hope...
Olga

Post by Olga »

alice44 wrote:I couldn't get a good sense of what sort of damage was done to the paw, but I doubt it was a cat -- maybe just my cats would never have come close to a squirrel. Flash hated them with a passion, because they were so much better in the trees than she was.

The paw seems to be getting better so I hope...
I am sad to tell that..the cat owner told me in the summer 2010 (they had got the cat then, it was an adult female) that their new cat is a 'hunter' (even though she has been operated), it had brought squirrels and squirrel pups at home.. She was very sorry about that.. I was shocked at first, but did not show it, and could not tell her that 'I may know which squirrels' they were.. They do not know that I follow squirrels, not even today they do not know.

But it was then, for two years ago. Last summer was better, :2thumbsup: not that bad wounds were seen, nor the cat either. :D

I became a bit shocked again, and it was because I went and watched pictures from the summer 2010.. Silk ear's nose, Anja's wounds.
Any way, I think that the other one of the two pups of that summer is still seen here, every other day.. a mean 'the Baby face', or Baby boy.

he:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=293&p=117310&hilit=Baby#p117310

Good night from Finland!
:wave:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I can easily imagine a cat getting pups and maybe fighting with a parent -- a Martin might also fight with a parent.

(Where I live cars get them -- so many it is hard to see)
Olga

Post by Olga »

alice44 wrote:I can easily imagine a cat getting pups and maybe fighting with a parent -- a Martin might also fight with a parent.

(Where I live cars get them -- so many it is hard to see)
You are right, Alice! Martins are dangerous too! Not even cats themselves are safe in the nature. There has been seen foxes each year, and raccoon dogs live there under the uninhabited house in the Southern side of the hill. I remember a tragedy that happened here for some years ago. A very nice and loved black white cat vanished in the forest, and she never returned. She was looked for weeks by her owner, a nice lady who then lived in the house down the hill. She was never found.. The same happens here too, especially in summer time: cars are the biggest danger, terrible to see, sad.

edit:

I'll add in this post a video I took yesterday of the Wood pigeon couple:

Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Paula has appeared, she she looks good.

But before Paula there was eating an other female, at 8:30

Olga

Post by Olga »

contiunues:
an other female, not Paula..

Olga

Post by Olga »

Paula:

at 9:02