ESTLAT - Latvian WTE Nest Webcam Discussion.

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Jo UK
Site Admin

ESTLAT - Latvian WTE Nest Webcam Discussion.

Post by Jo UK »

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/12994

ESTLAT - a joint project between Estonia and Latvia. Eagles Cross Borders

This topic is for posts and images from the Latvian WTE nest.
mms://tv.eenet.ee/juras-erglis

Also on the ESTLAT joint project is our already streaming "Buzzard" topic! It was a WTE nest but times change. :headroll:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=398&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit October 12, 2012
Urmas S. posted:

WtE camera in Latvia woke up and Urmas Lett launched the stream:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/juras-erglis.html

Probably it will not last for long time, because energy balance should be in short cloudy days negative... but the development of season in woods is possible to see and hear.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

And a WTE in the new Latvian nest!

Edit: looks like he/she brought something to eat there! :puzzled:

It was a fish. The video is still loading, crashing all cams around :bash:

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Pitti

Post by Pitti »

Felis silvestris wrote:It was a very exciting and puzzling day, with topics changing names, moving, splitting ...
Yes, and sometimes I don´t know, where I am :mrgreen:

I like buzzards so much and it is pity, that this cam don´t like me. Sometimes it works and sometimes not :faint:, but I enjoyed the pictures and videos from everyone, thank you!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

on this moment, nice sounds, but from who

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Oh good, Fleur. You found our new topic quickly!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Jo UK wrote:Oh good, Fleur. You found our new topic quickly!
I was already 2 weeks ago on the forum, I think, so I should look around what's nice, and whats good for me :laugh:
I have much work to do for my boss and I have not much time to look like weeks ago.
--
Oh, there are many webcams now :whistling:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I think I'll stay here, I should not have too much stress :headroll:
:laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

Fleur wrote:on this moment, nice sounds, but from who

i think they were whooping swans.
and an eagle, too! what luck Felis! :thumbs:
too bad it was alone. :unsure:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:And a WTE in the new Latvian nest!

Edit: looks like he/she brought something to eat there! :puzzled:

Felis, this video is so beautiful. The WTE in the afternoon sun, calmly eating. I'm so glad you got the recording. Thank you :wave:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

What a beautiful view this cam provides! :loveshower: And an eagle, I can hardly wait for daylight.
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

A nicely constructed nest with good dry grasses in the bowl awaiting eggs. No one home at the moment, Felis saw a white-tailed eagle here eating something yesterday, so there is hope.

Kitty KCMO
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

a nuthatch visit the nest on the tree

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

a Buzzard a moment on the branch

have a nice day :wave:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Good evening everybody. Great that you already saw an eagle and other birds here! :2thumbsup:

Here is an observation from March 10th 2012, it´s maybe interesting. A WtE landed at 14:15 or 14:16 camera time. He/she arranged the hay a bit and sat down in “breeding position” at 14:17. In this position the eagle looked around and arranged some nest material again. At 14:21 the bird perched at the broken branch, where it sat until 15:09.

Since then I have not noticed another eagle at or in the nest during the cam testing phase.

White-tailed Eagle, nest test
[youtube]VbjNoXZfWVc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

White-tailed Eagle leaving nest
[youtube]WQrumS0n_RE&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
maertha

Post by maertha »

Birds and bird sounds in the eagle nest, summary

[youtube]6ImKdMYXRko&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
ame

Post by ame »

maertha wrote:....
Here is an observation from March 10th 2012, it´s maybe interesting. A WtE landed at 14:15 or 14:16 camera time. He/she arranged the hay a bit and sat down in “breeding position” at 14:17. In this position the eagle looked around and arranged some nest material again. At 14:21 the bird perched at the broken branch, where it sat until 15:09.

Since then I have not noticed another eagle at or in the nest during the cam testing phase.
oh... these short clips make me feel so sad because we can't see them both here... :cry:
maertha

Post by maertha »

ame wrote:oh... these short clips make me feel so sad because we can't see them both here... :cry:
Don´t be sad. The eagle brought prey to the nest… I´m no expert, but that seems to bode well. Let´s wait and see. :shake:
ame

Post by ame »

i don't know... last year i forced myself to be optimistic about L&S till late April but this year... i think it is way too late for a nesting here. i have a feeling that WTEs around these latitudes should lay their eggs by about Vernal Equinox plus/minus a week or 10 days. halfway April is too late. it seems that they were ready here at about March 10th to lay eggs. if since then the only time that some eagle has been seen here is a single adult on the day before yesterday then i think it is not a good sign... :unsure:

the eagle on the nest in Felis' video looked so lonely and was clearly waiting... but in vain... i'm afraid that it has lost its spouse. last spring when L&S left their camera-nest they left at the same time. neither was seen later, which makes me think that they were together somewhere else. this eagle was alone.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

It is barely light, but I can see the nest is empty. Nice birdsong, though, & no rain, as is happening at the Estonian nests.
Kitty KCMO
maertha

Post by maertha »

ame wrote:i don't know... last year i forced myself to be optimistic about L&S till late April but this year... i think it is way too late for a nesting here. i have a feeling that WTEs around these latitudes should lay their eggs by about Vernal Equinox plus/minus a week or 10 days. halfway April is too late. it seems that they were ready here at about March 10th to lay eggs. if since then the only time that some eagle has been seen here is a single adult on the day before yesterday then i think it is not a good sign... :unsure:

the eagle on the nest in Felis' video looked so lonely and was clearly waiting... but in vain... i'm afraid that it has lost its spouse. last spring when L&S left their camera-nest they left at the same time. neither was seen later, which makes me think that they were together somewhere else. this eagle was alone.
Yes, it was quite frustrating last year… :cry: But after all we head the pleasure to meet Miss Maisy and to learn something new about WtE behaviour. :shake:

Your estimation concerning the nesting is right, I suppose. And the nesting material appears unchanged. Nevertheless it was an unexpected pleasure to see Felis´video, and as last year I´m not ready to give up hope… These birds are so interesting, and it would be such a joy to see another breeding season… Think I still keep my fingers crossed (for a while).

If the eagles don´t return again – well, who knows, maybe there will be another surprise like the venturesome mallard or the buzzards! (Even though I would always prefer White-tailed Eagles… :mrgreen: :blush: )

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”