NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

NancyM
Site Admin

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by NancyM »

I think this female is more receptive now - her tail is up and she is bending forward (as the books tell her to do)

April 28, 8:14 AM

several minutes later, another attempt, but He is still not quite ready

8:24
She moves a stick, He acts submissive
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ChemChibi wrote:Good morning to everyone! :wave:
Here they are in this morning , making a nest more comfortable :rolleyes:
P.S. I am new, so I hope I'm doing right :unsure:
Welcome, ChemChibi.
Yes, that was absolutely right!
maertha

Post by maertha »

Welcome, ChemChibi, and thanks for your picture. :wave:
unp

Post by unp »

Yesterday at 17:20 the male's right tibia looked all white (the first 15 seconds). About one hour and a half later (at 19:00) there was something red on it. A wound, someone else's blood or some paint?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I saw that too and also made some pictures. They are uploading at the moment (made too many the last few days :blush: )

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Is it blood from the fish maybe :puzzled: Its certainly the 'best' aanswer. I'd hate to think he was injured. :slap:

The nest is empty just now.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Thanks to all (especially Nancy) for interesting information you found and shared?

The wounded leg was visible already several days ago, think there is some old wound he tries to scratch (with sharp bill) and then opens the blood again and again (like children or dogs do)...

By my knowledge (based on Erikas tracks during several years) the female should stay after arriving near the nest, but that is not the case here... I don't know if its some wrong thing here or simply diversity of behaviour?
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Hello Urmas! thank you for the information on the male's leg - I had not noticed that before.

All together we make a good team of watchers here ~ the birds do not read the books so we have to learn from observing them. :dunno:

There is no one in the nest at this time.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

More info;
Ospreys are monogamous and are strongly faithful to their nest and their mate. They tend to build their eyries on top of large conifers. The nest is large and made of branches and twigs and lined with small twigs, moss, bark and grass. It takes both birds 2-3 weeks to build is usually around 1.2 – 1.5m high and 0.5m deep, but with the addition of extra material over the years this can increase. The female will lay 2 or 3 eggs at the middle to end of April which she will incubate for 37 days. As with other raptors, the chicks usually hatch a few days apart. Nesting duties are clearly divided: the female carries out incubating, brooding and direct feeding of the young and guards them throughout nesting; the male is the major provider of fish for the female and their young. The chicks will fledge at 53 days and both parents will feed them. They stay close to the nest for another 2 months. Many juvenile birds die before they are 3, while the average life span of an Osprey is around 8 years – the oldest known Osprey, however, lived for over 30 years.
Well,thats not helpful either but if this nest was previously unoccupied there may be (are) several fmales laying claim to it.
"It mine".."No its mine" and so on until the supposedly stronger,older Osprey claims this nest as hers.. :puzzled:
I do wish they would make up their minds. :nod:
Urmas,thank you for the info about the injury. If he was more busy he may forget about his scratches ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I rushed through the pontu pictures for today - it seems there were few visits, but they were brief.

13:44 (from pontu)
2012-04-28-13-44 by aurospio, on Flickr

16:29 (from pontu)
2012-04-28-16-29 by aurospio, on Flickr
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

April 28

Male on nest at 5:10, for 2 minutes,
then again at 5:14

2012-04-29-05-16 by aurospio, on Flickr

and off ...
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Very shortly after this image (while I was "playing" around trying to save this) I think there was a mating or attempted mating.

(With all these birds changing nesting arrangements after some matings or attempted matings, there must be quite a few raptors [not only this nest but the LSE nests] brought up by "step" fathers.)

alice44

Post by alice44 »

This just a bit later.

And a bit later

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Possibly there is an other Osprey around?

The both seemed to be looking out into space and I thought I heard calls that were not from the nest -- but I have to admit I have trouble with their calls, they often do not seem to come out of these beaks.

Very shortly after the previous picture, the female took off and flew around the edge of the trees we can see and then she flew back to the nest.

(and then there was a mating or attempted mating)
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

hi, alice! I have been watching this nest this morning - i *think* this is the regular male and the most recent female. I have seen seen (5-6) "matings'" so far this morning (Sunday, April 29).
alice44

Post by alice44 »

(Now I am going to try to do some quilting)
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Sunday, April 29

6:47 the male brought a fish for the female. She started eating it at the back of the nest, but then dragged it over to this edge of the nest - you can see it in her left foot. He mated and she went back to eating. :slap:

I don't understand why he always assumes this submissive posture :puzzled:

7:15

NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

8:29 AM thank you, pontu! The male must have brought a nice fish for the female
2012-04-29-08-29 by aurospio, on Flickr

8:40 AM I looked back in, and the female was eating something on the left rim of the nest. (see picture found in pontu for 8:29)

Fullscreen capture 4292012 14243 AM.bmp by aurospio, on Flickr

The male arrived with a branch and the female flew off with the food item in her foot.

The male moved some branches and worked on the nest.
unp

Post by unp »

NancyM wrote:I don't understand why he always assumes this submissive posture :puzzled:
Could it be 'protective'?

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

It's really interesting to keep this cam open! I think there are still several eagles fighting for this nest, or several ladies fighting for the man, I don't know! Coming and going, shouting, looking, flying off ... coming back, immediately taking off again! I have lost track of who is who and when, and with whom! :shock: :dunno:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”