looduskalender.ee

Forum
It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 52  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 11:48 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2008, 12:12 am
Posts: 6480
Location: Alsace, France
leonia wrote:
Raivo is a miracle to me: he is heading straigt on to Israel on high speed (not to disappoint Carsten Rohde who might already wait there for him . . . ?)
:2thumbsup:


Yes and it seems that he has arrived already. He was in a great hurry to get there.. :puzzled: He,lots of fish there. Raivo be careful nobody sees you... :rolleyes:

_________________
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: August 26th, 2010, 8:44 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 20th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Near Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Oh oh, Raivo hasn't moved since the last updating !!!!! :shock:

_________________
Nature is confident.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: August 26th, 2010, 1:08 pm 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: December 5th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Posts: 1737
leonia wrote:
Oh oh, Raivo hasn't moved since the last updating !!!!! :shock:

... but Pirsu and Oss have joined Leida and Toomas in the Ukraine-Romania areas.

(and Tõnn is staying firmly put - but so is his relative, possibly mother, Iti in Estonia)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 8:28 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 20th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Near Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Raivo has arrived at Jordan's banks! :headroll: :bounce:
Let's hope he will find milk and honey there, or a lot of fish, and that Carsten Rohde will be able to take pictures of him! :2thumbsup:

_________________
Nature is confident.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 8:07 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 20th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Near Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Oss has joined Raivo at Jordans banks :headroll:

_________________
Nature is confident.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: September 11th, 2010, 12:26 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: December 1st, 2008, 5:34 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Łódź, Poland
But Toomas does not move from 11 August (a month). Still in the same place in Ukraine ... :unsure:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: September 15th, 2010, 5:35 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: February 6th, 2009, 9:37 am
Posts: 4470
Lucy wrote:
But Toomas does not move from 11 August (a month). Still in the same place in Ukraine ... :unsure:


Urmas said that both Toomas and Lembit got problems with their transmitters, the signals were too weak to find out their locations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: September 19th, 2010, 8:51 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 20th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Near Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Wonderful to see the addition of three cranes on the interactive map. Are there any background stories about the transmittered birds? :book:

_________________
Nature is confident.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 9:35 am 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: October 27th, 2008, 7:44 am
Posts: 777
Location: Estonia
I'm waiting background information from crane specialists, they promised to prepare this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 1:54 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: September 20th, 2008, 12:40 am
Posts: 13903
Location: Winchester, UK
I searched for "Estonia Cranes" and found this about Eurasian cranes in Estonia.
It seems to be 5 years old.

http://www.ornisfennica.org/pdf/vol82-2/2Leito2405.pdf

Nest site selection of the Eurasian Crane Grus grus
in Estonia: an analysis of nest record cards
Aivar Leito*, Ivar Ojaste, Jaak Truu & Anneli Palo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: September 25th, 2010, 1:30 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2008, 12:12 am
Posts: 6480
Location: Alsace, France
I have just looked at the birdmap and T6nn seems to have crossed 'The Great Devide'. :thumbs:

_________________
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 11:31 am 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: September 29th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Posts: 0
hello everyone new to the forum and good to be here, I have been watching the progress of Erika and noticed that she is in eastern Africa, where i understand she wintered last year. I just wondered if anyone knew if this was the normal wintering area for baltic state ospreys? as nearly all scottish birds and a finnish male being monitored at present have made their way to west Africa. Thanks :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 11:51 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: April 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Posts: 199
Location: Estonia, Tartumaa/Tartu
Firstly...

Welcome to Looduskalender neilly!

Last year i was in Egypt at the year changing and i saw quite a few ospreys (I was in Sharm el Sheikh). So i guess they do stay around there for winter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: October 7th, 2010, 8:16 am 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: December 5th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Posts: 1737
neilly wrote:
hello everyone new to the forum and good to be here, I have been watching the progress of Erika and noticed that she is in eastern Africa, where i understand she wintered last year. I just wondered if anyone knew if this was the normal wintering area for baltic state ospreys? as nearly all scottish birds and a finnish male being monitored at present have made their way to west Africa. Thanks :D

Hello, Neilly, and of course, as jürka said, welcome!
I don't know about the most common wintering areas for baltic state ospreys, but another Estonian osprey, Maria, who was GPS monitored, wintered at the Congo river in Central Africa, report (in English) here http://www.zbi.ee/~yvali/artiklid/Sellis_et_al_2007_Hirundo_eng.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: October 8th, 2010, 5:07 am 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: October 27th, 2008, 7:44 am
Posts: 777
Location: Estonia
Welcome, neilly!
We have only few knowledge about wintering areas of Ospreys from Baltic countries. In Estonia have been tagged three Ospreys, one of these (juvenile) has not survived up to migration and two Erika and Maria winter(ed) in very different places, far from each other. Though they bred in neighbour nests, 2,5km from each other...
Maybe our population (at least breeding ones in NE Estonia), they belong to bigger Russian population, but not to the Scandinavian one. In western Estonia, there are breeding very few pairs of Osprey, but hopefully they will increase.
Think Erikas wintering site(s) are simply one sample of wide range.

Some short stories about Granes are inserted to Estonian version of OMM (online migration map).

Crane specialists of Europe will gather next week in Stralsund, NE Germany, for to discuss about European Crane census, maybe there are somewhere materials about presentations and then there should be also five presentations from Estonian Crane specialists (Aivar Leito, Ivar Ojaste, etc)...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 3:17 pm 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: September 29th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Posts: 0
Thankyou Jurka,Liis, and Urmas for the information and the welcome. Are there currently any Russian Ospreys satellite tagged, so that their movements and wintering areas can be monitored? Thanks :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 4:23 pm 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: October 27th, 2008, 7:44 am
Posts: 777
Location: Estonia
Russian birds obtain transmitters usually through international projects, but I don't know if there is some ongoing about Osprey.
And most of tagged birds are not visible for public... unfortunately.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 12:33 pm 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: December 5th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Posts: 1737
Christmas reading - article in Eesti Päevaleht / EPL about the tagged cranes and their migration. Like Tõnn among GSEs, a young crane has managed to astonish the experts.

Estonian article at http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/589762
EPL Eesti Päevaleht December 23, 2010.
Author: Ulvar Käärt

Crane who flew to Turkey brings surprising new information for Christmas
Now it has been proved that young cranes can manage their first trip to the south on their own.
The young cranes who were equipped with satellite transmitters on their backs in July and August, to allow their migration to be monitored, have made the best possible Christmas gift to our ornithologists by providing a great number of new facts that certainly were unexpected to the bird investigators.

Of the three crane youngsters – Juula, Ahja and Rasina – the last-named has offered the scientists the most excitement. To start with Rasina made the crane specialists raise surprised eyebrows when it turned out that this young crane set course on Turkey quite alone; she has been moving around there since October.

Ornithologist Alar Leito from the University of Life Sciences in Tartu, who keeps a watchful eye on the movements of our cranes notes that until now it has been considered as a fact that young cranes make their first autumn migration to the south together with their parents, and in a flock with other cranes. „The flocks of cranes usually don’t break up until just before the spring migration. But now it turns out that it may also be otherwise and the actual migraton model for for cranes has become much more complicated.”, Alvar Leito explained. The fact that Rasina made the migration journey on her own has been confirmed by bird-watchers in Ukraine as well as in Turkey who have travelled to observe and photograph the lonely bird in her whereabouts

Unexpected wintering location
In addition to the fact that thanks to Rasina it was confirmed for the first time that cranes can fly to the south successfully on their own already in their first year, much excitement has been created among experts by the individual and instinctive choice of migration path. „The migration pathways of cranes have always run straight across the Black Sea, from the Crimea to Turkey, and from there on to the south: thus across central and eastern Turkey. Rasina however arrived at the western edge of Istanbul from the Odessa area in the Ukraine, moving along the western shore of the Black Sea; this path has never been observed before”, Alvar Leito told us. „All current data prove that a young crane can migrate on its own just by following its inner instinct, because Rasina flew in a straight line from Odessa to near Istanbul, that is, to the south.”

To top it all comes the fact that Rasina has remained in Turkey. Until now none of our Estonian or the Finnish cranes have been known to winter in Turkey, they have only passed through there.

If Rasina is going to spend Christmas in the Bilecki county near Istanbul, then Juula and Ahja – coming from Aivar Leito’s own home area, Elistvere – have made a preliminary stop in Croatia. Aivar Leito believes that if the weather there too becomes wintry they will set course towards Tunisia, going across the Mediterranean and the „boot” of Italy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 1:59 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2008, 12:12 am
Posts: 6480
Location: Alsace, France
Liis wrote:
Christmas reading - article in Eesti Päevaleht / EPL about the tagged cranes and their migration. Like Tõnn among GSEs, a young crane has managed to astonish the experts.

Estonian article at http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/589762
EPL Eesti Päevaleht December 23, 2010.
Author: Ulvar Käärt

Crane who flew to Turkey brings surprising new information for Christmas
Now it has been proved that young cranes can manage their first trip to the south on their own.
The young cranes who were equipped with satellite transmitters on their backs in July and August, to allow their migration to be monitored, have made the best possible Christmas gift to our ornithologists by providing a great number of new facts that certainly were unexpected to the bird investigators.

Of the three crane youngsters – Juula, Ahja and Rasina – the last-named has offered the scientists the most excitement. To start with Rasina made the crane specialists raise surprised eyebrows when it turned out that this young crane set course on Turkey quite alone; she has been moving around there since October.

Ornithologist Alar Leito from the University of Life Sciences in Tartu, who keeps a watchful eye on the movements of our cranes notes that until now it has been considered as a fact that young cranes make their first autumn migration to the south together with their parents, and in a flock with other cranes. „The flocks of cranes usually don’t break up until just before the spring migration. But now it turns out that it may also be otherwise and the actual migraton model for for cranes has become much more complicated.”, Alvar Leito explained. The fact that Rasina made the migration journey on her own has been confirmed by bird-watchers in Ukraine as well as in Turkey who have travelled to observe and photograph the lonely bird in her whereabouts

Unexpected wintering location
In addition to the fact that thanks to Rasina it was confirmed for the first time that cranes can fly to the south successfully on their own already in their first year, much excitement has been created among experts by the individual and instinctive choice of migration path. „The migration pathways of cranes have always run straight across the Black Sea, from the Crimea to Turkey, and from there on to the south: thus across central and eastern Turkey. Rasina however arrived at the western edge of Istanbul from the Odessa area in the Ukraine, moving along the western shore of the Black Sea; this path has never been observed before”, Alvar Leito told us. „All current data prove that a young crane can migrate on its own just by following its inner instinct, because Rasina flew in a straight line from Odessa to near Istanbul, that is, to the south.”

To top it all comes the fact that Rasina has remained in Turkey. Until now none of our Estonian or the Finnish cranes have been known to winter in Turkey, they have only passed through there.

If Rasina is going to spend Christmas in the Bilecki county near Istanbul, then Juula and Ahja – coming from Aivar Leito’s own home area, Elistvere – have made a preliminary stop in Croatia. Aivar Leito believes that if the weather there too becomes wintry they will set course towards Tunisia, going across the Mediterranean and the „boot” of Italy.

I am glad that this satellite tracking has proved so helpful for the orthinoligists.
Now we wait for more,please. :D

_________________
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Migration Map
PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 12:12 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 20th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Near Munich, Bavaria, Germany
I'm glad too to here the good news of the cranes. And thanks to ornithologists in the Ukraine and in Turkey to send pictures! :wave:

For German visitors: the translated article may be read in German here http://www.storchennest.de/forum/viewto ... &start=315

_________________
Nature is confident.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 52  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group