NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

macdoum

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by macdoum »

maertha wrote:It was very windy today. Several times I heard noises which sounded like gunshots

Stormy weather
Martha,I love the expression of this osprey. You caught some very good pics today and the different expressions are priceless. :rotf:
I hope the gunshots have nothing to do with the ospreys :blush:
Its windy at this nest too.

19:29 The male is here,arranging the nest,at odds with a thin curvy branch that will not lay flat. :mrgreen:
19:35 Male is preening,looking around him.
19:36 He took off.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

19:39 Both at the nest..pseudo mating.
I wonder if the female was on the cam housing all the time (since I'm here)?
19:42 Both on the nest,just looking around.
This is a 'strange' nest. No food (fish) offerings that I've seen recently
,no serious nest fixing.....
19:44 Male has left.
19:47 Female on the edge of nest looking around.
19:56 Female has been peeping softly,calling for food ?
I'm off...
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you, macdoum! :D :wave:

19:58 Female still on the edge of the nest
20:11 She called, the ringed male landed. Mating or mating attempt
20:13 The female took off, but I suppose she´s still near, because there are “bird sounds” like the rustling of feathers very close to the microphone. The male rearranged some twigs in the nest
20:18 He took off
20:21 – 20:46 A variety of feather sounds nearby all the time

Maybe an artificial perch like this one http://www.informationszentrum-hausamse ... 4512000009
was also installed at this nest?
maertha

Post by maertha »

21:04 Female without rings in the nest, the other bird is sitting at the edge of the nest, wings spread like a cormorant. It´s ring was visible later
21:07 The ringed bird leaves
21:09 She´s chirping, calling, watching something, falling asleep
21:11 She´s alert: the ringed bird landed at the nest and started to work with the nest material
21:17 When she came closer, the ringed osprey sat again at the edge of the nest in the same “mantling position” as before
21:19 The ringed bird left the nest
21:24 The female left the nest
21:26 Landing noise of a big bird nearby, probably one osprey is back
21:33 Nest still empty

"Cormorant-style"

Sleepy

Alert

:offtobed:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:
I had time for looking during 3 periods today, Ospreys seemed to have done a lot of nestpreparations during the day
I´m just able to make screendumps, which takes a lot of time and therefor I´ll just post some of these to show some of the experiences during the day

cameratime 10.33
11.03 female digging the nestbowl deeper, which I saw two more times during the day
11.18 before I left, notice how the nest look
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

13.31 I was back again, saw new nestmaterial was brought into nest
13.50 female is busy
14.06 mating

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

14.30 male has just brought some bark to nest
14.45 just before I left again, both in nest

17.53 I´m back again. It´s very windy and a piece of bark is about flying away then the male has to put it to a safer place i nest
17.59 female came to nest with a fish - the male was interested to get a share of it, but no she wouldn´t let him and went to the opposit nestrim with her fish

this was some glimse from a windy day

and thanks to all for reports and photos :2thumbsup:

NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

May 6

9:45 - One osprey (the male ???) on the nest, preening; the other is on the cam support (a wing dips down every now and then).

The huge pieces of bark or whatever that was delivered earlier, appear to be broken down or moved, or ?? -at least they do not appear in the nest bowl.
maertha

Post by maertha »

Good morning, and thank you, b.h-p!

9:14 Female is preparing the nest bowl, she´s working with softer material now, moss or lichens(?) and hay. And she tested the breeding position again
9:18 Male landed at the edge of the nest, back to her, with this cormorant attitude. Some seconds later the female left the nest and landed, to all appearance, very close by the nest. He fold his wings together immediately and started preening
9:26 – 9:45 The female is sitting on or above the cam without any doubt. Her shadow was visible, and every now and then some feathers appear directly in front of the cam lens. Both birds preening
9:54 Male leaves
9:56 Male back, he´s preparing the nest bowl. The shadow of the female is visible
9:59 Male left the nest again. The female is out of sight but still there all the time
10:14 Male back, female jumped into the nest
10:15 Both left the nest
10:16 Probably the female landed on the cam, a second later the male osprey landed on the female... mating sounds
10:20 The female(?) stayed after the mating, probably the male left, one shadow is visible
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

9:51 Male turns to face the nest

osprey_Estonia_5-6-2012 2.52.44 AM_01 by aurospio, on Flickr

9:53 wing tip from perch above the nest

maertha

Post by maertha »

9:14 Preparing the nest bowl (female)

9:18 Male returns to the nest

maertha

Post by maertha »

9:18 When the male came to the nest, the female left it and landed on the cam or an artificial perch, if there is one

Shadow of female osprey and camera, even though it looks more like a Dodo

10:14 Male eagle is back

10:14 Female jumps into the nest
maertha

Post by maertha »

10:14 Greeting

10:15 Both birds left the nest

10:16 Osprey shadows, mating sounds
maertha

Post by maertha »

11:30 Male in nest, preening
11:35 He left the nest; chirpin and other noise near the cam (mating?), then he came back
11:36 Rustling and crackling sounds near the micro, so probably the female was and is there
11:39 Male osprey leaves
11:46 A tiny visitor on the edge of the nest

11:39 Male eagle leaves the nest

11:46 A visitor
venegor

Post by venegor »

Pairing Buzzard
maertha

Post by maertha »

12:50 One bird in the nest, watching something. Sounds from the cam, probably the other bird is sitting there. Maybe the eagle in the nest is eating, I´m not sure
12:52 Wing/feathers in front of the camera: the other bird is also there
12:56 The bird in the nest is the female: no ring
12:58 She´s working on the nest bowl
13:00 Male jumps into the nest, mating
13:02 Female leaves the nest, she´s sitting at this place on/above the cam now; he is working on the nest
13:08 He is preening/taking a nap, she´s still out of sight but there
13:16 Male leaves, female still there
13:22 She´s calling
13:23 Male returns. Preening
13:36 He´s working a bit
13:38 She jumps into the nest
13:39 The male left the nest, came back immediately and left the nest again
13:40 Female still in the nest
13:43 He came back, sat on the edge of the nest, wings spread. Then both took off, a lot of chirping, rustling and crackling sounds from the cam (mating?). One of them(?) seems to be still there
13:47 A shadow is visible, one of them is calling

It appears as if the female is in the nest or on this place very close to the nest quite often now. I´m curious if we will see an egg here soon. Hope so. :rolleyes:
unp

Post by unp »

maertha wrote:It appears as if the female is in the nest or on this place very close to the nest quite often now. I´m curious if we will see an egg here soon. Hope so. :rolleyes:
:puzzled:
"However, the age of a pair and of its bond influenced laying dates and courtship periods more than food intake. Older and more experienced pairs arrived earlier and laid eggs more quickly than younger pairs." (http://www.avibirds.com/pdfsu/V/Visarend1.pdf) In this 1982 study, the courtship period of 12 females varied from 17 to 31 days.

"The arrival of the female is followed by a period of courtship that can last for up to three weeks." (http://newyorkwild.org/osprey/osprey_info.htm)

"Female Osprey lay 3 - 4 eggs within a month" (http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/endangere ... sprey.html)

In UK this year, the Lady of the Loch returned on March 30 and laid the first egg on April 14.
Here, this lady arrived at this nest on April 27. So it may take some more time. :dunno:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

19:23 Empty nest. The nest has more furnishings now. Maybe this pair are more serious about the job at hand.
19:26 Male is on the nest,peeping softly.
19:39 Male has flown off.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

19:56 Both briefly on the nest.
19:58 Male alone.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

unp wrote: :puzzled:
"However, the age of a pair and of its bond influenced laying dates and courtship periods more than food intake. Older and more experienced pairs arrived earlier and laid eggs more quickly than younger pairs." (http://www.avibirds.com/pdfsu/V/Visarend1.pdf) In this 1982 study, the courtship period of 12 females varied from 17 to 31 days.

"The arrival of the female is followed by a period of courtship that can last for up to three weeks." (http://newyorkwild.org/osprey/osprey_info.htm)

"Female Osprey lay 3 - 4 eggs within a month" (http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/endangere ... sprey.html)

In UK this year, the Lady of the Loch returned on March 30 and laid the first egg on April 14.
Here, this lady arrived at this nest on April 27. So it may take some more time. :dunno:
Thanks for the information, unp!

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”