Talk about

A White-tailed Eagle Database Project

Moderator: maertha/felis silvestris

Bea

Re: Talk about

Post by Bea »

maertha wrote:Again sad eagle news from Lübeck, Northern Germany...
Source: shz/dpa/WWF 24./25. April 2012
I´m feeling miserable that all this happens in my homecountry .... and will not believe that agriculture should not be possible without these insecticides .... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
maertha

Post by maertha »

Bea wrote: I´m feeling miserable that all this happens in my homecountry .... and will not believe that agriculture should not be possible without these insecticides .... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I know it isn't much solace, Bea, but it happens also in other countries. :unsure:

Fortunately there are also good WtE news: Sea eagles, brought over from Norway, are breeding now in Ireland! The people from the reintroduction project are very happy and proud, because it´s the first breeding success since the White-tailed Eagle became extinct in Ireland in 1898. According to Independent.ie, “Dr Allan Mee, project manager for the Golden Eagle Trust, described the nesting success as "truly momentous".” :D

And there´s a new film (in German) about the return of the White-tailed Eagle to the Szczecin Lagoon and about the hope to develop ecotourism in the region. The filmmaker Michael Wiedemann tells the story of the friendship between the Polish fisherman Janusz and some White-tailed Eagles in Stepnica (about 50 kilometres north of Szczecin).

“Rückkehr der Seeadler”. ZDF Dokumentation, Reihe „planet.e“, Mai 6th 2012, 13:30 Source: ZDF-Pressestelle/presseportal.de
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Copied from 'Stories & News-Conservation preservation'

Scottish Farmer admits to Possesion of Deadly poison after death of Golden Eagle

http://www.wildlifeextra.com//go/news/e ... an.html#cr

... :slap:

Happening all over. :rant:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

1st Hatch of WTE egg at Mull
For Martha and all.
Ist WTE hatch in Mull Scotland;

http://forargyll.com/2012/05/mulls-firs ... more-52726
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you, macdoum! :wave: It must be nice to visit the eagle hide at Mull!

It´s raining eagle chicks :headroll: ; the first one in Ireland has also hatched.
And in Austria they ringed the first young White-tailed Eagles this year some days ago.
maertha

Post by maertha »

You can find the above mentioned film about White-tailed Eagles in Germany and Poland here:

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/hauptnav ... r-Seeadler
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

BBC article;
Golden and sea eagle decline since Dark Ages Mapped
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-18352135
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

macdoum wrote:BBC article;
Golden and sea eagle decline since Dark Ages Mapped
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-18352135
Very interesting, macdoum, thank you! :wave: I´ll add it to the database.
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

According to the danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten (10. May2012) a young Golden Eagle was found dead in March this year in Jutland. The eagle had been dead for some time when it was found. Because of no visible injuries it was examined and the results showed it didn´t suffer from diseases but was dead from poisoning with Carbuforan.

This time the victim was the Golden Eagle, a 3½ year old male ringed in Sweden, but it might as well have been a WTE or another preserved bird/raptor or animal.

It´s the third case with deadfound eagle/-s dead because of poisoning with Carbuforan in DK just during the last two years.
It´s possible the eagles not are the aim for putting poisoned meat into the wild. But Carbuforan has been prohibit in DK for several years now so no matter what the aim, this shouldn´t happen.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
maertha

Post by maertha »

b.h-p wrote:According to the danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten (10. May2012) a young Golden Eagle was found dead in March this year in Jutland. The eagle had been dead for some time when it was found. Because of no visible injuries it was examined and the results showed it didn´t suffer from diseases but was dead from poisoning with Carbuforan.

This time the victim was the Golden Eagle, a 3½ year old male ringed in Sweden, but it might as well have been a WTE or another preserved bird/raptor or animal.

It´s the third case with deadfound eagle/-s dead because of poisoning with Carbuforan in DK just during the last two years.
It´s possible the eagles not are the aim for putting poisoned meat into the wild. But Carbuforan has been prohibit in DK for several years now so no matter what the aim, this shouldn´t happen.
Thank you for the information, b.h-p! It´s sad to read how often such poisoning cases are reported, even though Carbofuran is banned as a pesticide in the EU. The Czech Society for Ornithology runs a database and a website which has been created to inform about this topic. karbofuran.cz lists “just” the Carbofuran poisoning cases of one country… and of course not all poisoned animals can be found and not all cases can be registered, so it´s probably just the tip of the iceberg. http://www.karbofuran.cz/db.php?lj
ame

Post by ame »

in today's issue of one of Finland's leading newspapers Turun Sanomat (July 1st, http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/363516 ... ruokaloita) there's a fairly large article titled "Mobs of young white-tailed sea eagles terrorize effectively nestings of cormorant colonies". it reports that WTEs, especially packs of half a dozen to about a dozen of non-nesting pre-adults have adopted the habit of harvesting colonies of cormorants so that they have been able to ruin their nesting. "Cormorant islets have turned into fast-food restaurants for WTEs within few years." in the picture in Turun Sanomat the remains of a cormorant after a WTE has had its meal.

Edit, maertha: Unauthorized image removed

besides non-nesting pre-adults also an increasing number of nesting adult pairs of WTEs have been observed to choose their nest sites close to cormorant colonies. "For example in Rymättylä WTEs have built 6 new nests near two large cormorant colonies within 10 last past years" says special investigator Jouko Högmander from the Finnish Board of Forestry. (or something like that, they did not have an official English name on their website)

the article continues: even though the parent WTEs feeding their young manage to reduce the numbers of cormorants effectively, the largest damage to their numbers is caused by the mobs of young eagles loitering about the cormorants islets for a long time. when eagles land on the islands the cormorant parent flee in panic and then the unguarded nests will be a set dinner table for for the numerous egg thieves in the bird world. "Herring gulls and seagulls will rush in large numbers to break and eat eggs and hooded crows will join in the feast.", says Pekka Rusanen, an investigator from the Finland’s environmental administration. "The co-operation of WTEs and eggthieves brings about destruction on the cormorant islets. If the nesting is developped far enough, the cormorants will not have time to recover their nesting that season [by laying a replacement clutch]." says Rusanen.

a few ago researches believed that the change in the feeding habits of WTEs might even stop the increase of cormorant population in the Archipelagic region. Högmander says that he does not anymore believe it will be so, because cormorants are so efficient breeders, though the WTEs may have a restraining effect. populations of cormorants are still increasing at an annual rate of 20 %. the increase is expected to cease within 10 years, when there will be no places for new colonies. this has been the development in Sweden, says Rusanen.
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thanks ame! A similar development has been reported from other regions. It appears that live becomes tricky for cormorants when the WtE population increases.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

More sad,bad news about Golden Eagles ;
Three golden Eagles found dead. can it get any worse ?

http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/2012/07/06 ... any-worst/
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I just found on Facebook: LK shared a video of Urmas and Joosep ringing the WTE chicks (in the new nest?)

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thanks for the hint, Felis.
Angi

Post by Angi »

maertha wrote:A White-Tailed Egle killed a dog? Strange news from Finland.

ame made a translation for us. Thank you :bow:

A White-Tailed Sea-Eagle savaged a dog

A dog which was guarding sheep was torn by a white-tailed sea-eagle (WTE) on Tuesday in Karinranta, Siikajoki [on the coast of the northern part of the Gulf of Bothnia]. [...]
So I suppose that was no little dog. I'm flabbergasted and really impressed.
maertha wrote:Esko Kulha [...] “This is such a bird of prey that has become exceptionally vicious." [...]
Image No comment ...

About the poisoned WTE in Lübeck I found this: http://www.wwf.de/2012/mai/vergiftetes- ... n-bekannt/
Maybe the article is already known, then delete it please.

Thanks a lot for the link to the ZDF-show. Must watch it instantly. :laugh:

@ all: Have a nice weekend! :wave:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Finland - It was an odd story, wasn´t it? :shock:

Yes, the article about the poisoning case in Northern Germany/Lübeck is already part of the WtE collection (First Aid - Injured or Sick Raptors - Wildlife Crime viewtopic.php?f=46&t=241)

Thank you for thinking of the database, Angi! :D
Angi

Post by Angi »

maertha wrote:Finland - It was an odd story, wasn´t it? :shock:
Very strange. :shock:
maertha wrote:Yes, the article about the poisoning case in Northern Germany/Lübeck is already part of the WtE collection (First Aid - Injured or Sick Raptors - Wildlife Crime viewtopic.php?f=46&t=241)
Oops, I better should read before posting. :blush:
maertha wrote:Thank you for thinking of the database, Angi! :D
:chick:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Angi wrote: So I suppose that was no little dog. I'm flabbergasted and really impressed.
You´re right, the dog (whatever or whoever killed the poor thing) was a quite large one. The newspaper published a picture along with the article, you can see it here.

Source: Webpage of Raahen Seutu on Feb 9th 2012
http://www.raahenseutu.fi/Uutiset/11947 ... oiran.html
maertha wrote:Yes, the article about the poisoning case in Northern Germany/Lübeck is already part of the WtE collection (First Aid - Injured or Sick Raptors - Wildlife Crime viewtopic.php?f=46&t=241)
Angi wrote:Oops, I better should read before posting. :blush:
Oh, I didn´t mean it like that, Angi! I´m always glad to find a link suggestion. Thanks again :wave:
Manu

Post by Manu »

I found this interesting report/ story about "Victor the white tailed eagle"

Universum- Der Flug der Seeadler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1-izNWb ... re=related ( it's german/ 44 min)

I don't know if this video was posted here in the forum in the past :blush:
If it is I would delete my post...

Return to “The Haliaeetus Albicilla Collection”