Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

Halli has got up twice after he came: at 14.08 he got up to the back branch but returned, and then at 14.15 he got up on the front rim of the nest but again returned on the egg. -like Alice wrote in the morning it is still rather rolly.
(if i really heard some cricks and cracks yesterday i should get worried... maybe it's best to decide that i heard nothing yesterday. :whistling: )

now he seems to be sleeping. :sleep: i wish he'll stay...
asteria

Post by asteria »

The egg is alone in the nest, no parents. :shock:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

oh no! i turned my back for just a while... :faint:
Halli was still at home in the Pontu picture at 15.05, but 15.06 he is gone. the wind sounds fierce and i think that every now and then i hear raindrops, too. :shock:
a chick out of egg would not survive this kind of weather for long without protection. inside the egg it is safer but for how long. :unsure:
asteria

Post by asteria »

They just left the nest? Then the egg should be taken away before it is too late.

In 2009 Latvian LSE couple left two eggs for a few hours and then the parents returned and Grieta ate both eggs(perhaps they were damaged).
ame

Post by ame »

now it is raining: i hear a constant knocking on the camera housing.

i don't think that anyone could do anything ... it's only one egg of a common buzzard, not a rare and precious LSE's egg. besides Renno is who knows where... he couldn't run to the forest.. and even if he did it would take a long time. by the time he'd be here if he started now the egg would be finished. it's up to Pruuni and Halli... :shock:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Ohhh what a pity it would be ..... :faint:

But perhaps Halli and Pruuni meanwhile know that something is wrong with their egg ....??? :puzzled:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

today's day 35 and it should be ok. besides i don't think they can think they can count (i had to use a calendar). and Tiina doesn't want to give up with her broken egg even though the others hatched two weeks ago... or was it three?

the egg has been there unsheltered about 50 min now, half of it in the rain and the temperature there is 10 degrees...
Bea

Post by Bea »

I think they can`t count, too :mrgreen: but I think they have other senses for breeding eggs than we have ;)

And because of this I only guess ....
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

i had a new look at the Pontu pictures. i must have looked some wrong picture on the first time... Halli was planning to leave the nest in the picture at 15.02, and not at 15.05. (not that the 3 minutes matter much any more...) in the next one he is missing. so it's an hour and 18 minutes....
the egg must be ice cold by now. :faint:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-06-01 ... -15-02.jpg
ame

Post by ame »

the egg has been in the nest without shelter for 2 hours now. of that it has been raining for about the last 1 hour and 20 min. there are big drops of water on the aspen leaves next to the egg.
it's over... :cry:
this is not a lucky nest... :cry:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Yes, that is the nest of troubles. Last year and now...

Reno didn't come here only not to disturb nesting birds, but now he may come and check what happened, nothing to loose.
maertha

Post by maertha »

ame wrote:the egg has been in the nest without shelter for 2 hours now. of that it has been raining for about the last 1 hour and 20 min. there are big drops of water on the aspen leaves next to the egg.
it's over... :cry: this is not a lucky nest... :cry:
I have visited the nest often, almost just to see a sleeping buzzard… so it was nice to have the possibility to check your pictures and videos, ame - such a dedicated documentation! :bow: :bow:

It was sad to see the lonesome egg in the big nest when I opened the cam, and now I just read how long it has been alone… :unsure: I am very sorry to hear this.
ame

Post by ame »

thanks maertha. in the incubation time there isn't often much more to see than a sleeping bird. i find it a very soothing sight. :rolleyes:

at the moment i'm getting worried about Pruuni, because she hasn't returned after she left at 13.40 with the vole/mole. she's been away for more than 4 hours, in this weather! :unsure:

yesterday at a corresponding situation, that is after recieving food from Halli at 16.42 she returned after 28 minutes only at 17.10. what is going on...? :puzzled:

this situation also makes me think about the more fragile migrating insect-eating little birds. how are they manging in this weather?? buzzards are robust and tough birds compared to them, and if they end up in trouble what will become of the smaller and weaker birds? :slap:
we are having a drawback in progress of summer back here in southern Finland, too. a week ago we had temperatures of 25 degrees but the night before yesterday it was only 5 and a little further up North in some places it was -8! that is tough for a little insect-eater... :shock:

it's three hours now....
maertha

Post by maertha »

ame wrote:thanks maertha. in the incubation time there isn't often much more to see than a sleeping bird. i find it a very soothing sight. :rolleyes:

at the moment i'm getting worried about Pruuni, because she hasn't returned after she left at 13.40 with the vole/mole. she's been away for more than 4 hours, in this weather! :unsure:

yesterday at a corresponding situation, that is after recieving food from Halli at 16.42 she returned after 28 minutes only at 17.10. what is going on...? :puzzled:

this situation also makes me think about the more fragile migrating insect-eating little birds. how are they manging in this weather?? buzzards are robust and tough birds compared to them, and if they end up in trouble what will become of the smaller and weaker birds? :slap:
we are having a drawback in progress of summer back here in southern Finland, too. a week ago we had temperatures of 25 degrees but the night before yesterday it was only 5 and a little further up North in some places it was -8! that is tough for a little insect-eater...

it's three hours now....
All seemed to be fine - all the greenery in the nest bowl... When you wrote they (or Halli?) were restless I thought the reason would be the "talking" egg. But maybe something happened yesterday when Halli called and flew away about 17:00? Eagle alarm? If they have given up, I think Pruuni may simply have found a dryer place somewhere in the forest. :nod:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:shock: Oh no! Have they abandoned the egg? Can a devleoping chick in the egg, if it is near to hatching, maintain any body heat at all if the egg is uncovered for so long? And in rain, too . . . :cry:
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

i don't think that's possible in any way, Kitty. think of an boiled egg when it's left to cool down by itself e.g. on a table. after two hours max it'll be in room temperature. and it's 10 degrees and raining out there. it's a goner... i could imagine maybe half an hour in sunshine with 10 degrees ambient temperature but not this weather,no. it's 3 and half hours...

maertha: i didn't hear any disturbing factors yesterday. on the contrary e.g. i've written in my notebook: "17.22 Pruuni is lying peacefully". i've heard an eagle call here only once all this time and that was before the egg was laid, maybe on the previous day. i'm not sure, i'd have to check the notes, but it is a long time ago.

i'd expect Pruuni to come and have a look at least... :faint:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:cry: And it got so close to time for hatching, too. The poor buzzards, they worked so hard to claim this nest & to resist the assault of the jays over these weeks. Could the harassment of the jays have anything to do with this situation, do you suppose? Or perhaps, as Asteria said, this is the nest with trouble. As if it is cursed or something . . . :puzzled:
Kitty KCMO
maertha

Post by maertha »

ame wrote:maertha: i didn't hear any disturbing factors yesterday. on the contrary e.g. i've written in my notebook: "17.22 Pruuni is lying peacefully". i've heard an eagle call here only once all this time and that was before the egg was laid, maybe on the previous day. i'm not sure, i'd have to check the notes, but it is a long time ago.
I meant this note, ame: "Halli is restless today: he began to call at 16.56, got up on the back rim of the nest, looked around the forest, and what do you know: he took off! he called meow - meow - ... a long time there as he flew further away. i wonder what he saw that made him go this time."

But the "eagle alarm" was just a thought, it based on nothing but the happenings from last year.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

A few days ago I was sure I heard an eagle calling in the area. It sounded not close, but also not terribly far away, either. But I have not noticed any eagle calls since then.

But if an eagle attacked Pruuni when she was away . . . awful to think of it. :unsure:
Kitty KCMO
asteria

Post by asteria »

How comes Pruuni defended herself from jays, from pine marten and suddenly, when the incubation was practically finished, flew away?

There must be two possible reasons why the buzzard couple left the nest:
1. somebody scared them away(jays, eagle, ppl etc.) like it happened with ospreys in 2010 or
2. the egg is damaged or empty as it was in Grieta&Gints nest in 2009 and Metra&Macho nest last year.

I think the second reason may be more probable than the first one.

The eagle would attack the nest and the egg and not an adult buzzard.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”