Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

alice44

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by alice44 »

So this from 8:13 is probably Halli (?). It definitely seems light.

ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote: Yes, all better now, Macdoum. I had a chest x-ray last week, & the nurse reported to me yesterday that it is all clear.
Kitty: it's so good to hear that you have become well again! :headroll:

EDIT: Alice: yes it looks like Halli and is very likely to be him. :nod:
today i have other things to do so i'll check later if there has been anything special.
ame

Post by ame »

10.57 change: Pruuni flew home, they talked few "words" and Halli took off.

the wind has become very strong and loud again. :slap:
but the sun is :peek: :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

Halli came at 14.46 to bring a vole to Pruuni. she took it out to the forest and Halli stays on the egg.

Imagehow to make an animated gif

i just realised that i must have mixed voles and moles in the posts that i have written. :blush: the very big mammals that Halli has brought e.g. yesterday must be water voles and not moles as i've written. i think, however, that Halli has brought a mole at least once. i remember one mammal having a big light front paw against the black fur.
borje

Post by borje »

Ame,

You certainly deserve a day off, but we are indeed a bit blindfolded without your precense.

Sometimes I believe that the buzzards not really are so far away from the nest. One of them might be sitting on a branch close by but outside the reach of the camera.

Börje
ame

Post by ame »

at 15.57 a small grey bird visited Halli.
( :hi: maybe vainamoinen could have a look at this KBV? :whistling: )

Halli was sleeping and the birds was there next to him for a long time before he woke up! then he seemed so confunsed: "what? who? where??" :rotf:
Imagehow to make an animated gif

ame

Post by ame »

borje wrote:... Sometimes I believe that the buzzards not really are so far away from the nest. One of them might be sitting on a branch close by but outside the reach of the camera.

Börje
it's difficult to think that at least on Friday a parent had been sitting somewhere near the nest with the egg uncovered there... but it has occurred to my mind that Halli may spend his nights near the nest roosting on a nearby branch. i think that he maybe was coming home on Friday night to roost when he discovered the egg alone and settled down on it.
but on the other hand: Pruuni begins to greet Halli so loudly when he arrives that i think it's likely that he has come nearby the nest without us noticing it...? :puzzled:
i don't know, it's difficult to say. in books it's said that buzzards move extremely quietly in their territory during incubation time: "it's as if they were swallowed underground" as one book said, and continued "it's quite a contradiction to the courtship time when they spend a lot of time in loud display flights." (or something like that)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:hi: ame... nesting going well,the sun is shining. :D

Have you time to watch the flotilla on the Thames Jubilee spectacle ? Lovely but as usual its raining...a pity.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

Halli had a burst of nursery decoration again. he left at 17.54 and returned at 17.55 bringing a fresh-leaved aspen twig.
leaves: http://youtu.be/t9SZmWZ78TM
returns:

for a second trip he left at 17.57 and within the minute he arrived with a bigger green aspen twig. i suspect he brought these from the nest tree.
leaves: http://youtu.be/VbZJ2s7v7f8
returns:

for the third trip he left at 18.07 and returned again within the minute, this time with a twig from an oak with some dry leaves on it.
leaves: http://youtu.be/VbZJ2s7v7f8
returns:

then he arranged his loot for quite some time. it's touching to see him decorating the nursery still and taking care of the egg. he's turned it many times this afternoon... it seems a bit too light for its size..? :puzzled:

now at 18.26 he left again. this trip seems to take more time....

macdoum: i saw the fleet on Thames on the TV news. hubby said the main boat was like it would belong to the Emperor of China. :D well the Queen is equal isn't she.
:mrgreen:

as i was writing Halli returned with a dry stick at 18.31.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

20:56 Pruuni has just been arranging the nestbowl. Now settlingg down to brood again.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

Halli left the nest again at 18.46 and returned at 18.50. i didn't see him bring anything.

a minute later he got up on the back rim and started to call and then took off at 18.52, seemingly in a hurry, as if he saw something interesting or urgent.

then the nest was empty till at 19.25 the KBV returned to inspect the nest for insects i guess. right after it left Pruuni arrived at 19.26.

she was busy making nest arrangements after that for a long time as macdoum saw. especially thee two-forked aspen twig was giving her trouble...

EDIT: i found four (!) more visits by the KBV today. it had been by the nest at 9.50 and stayed long there, apparently looking for insects. (could it be what is called a grey flycathcer in Finnish..?)
http://youtu.be/rnUkBQCwxFQ
another visit was at 19.15:
http://youtu.be/P4EXS1nriIA,
third at 19.55:
http://youtu.be/P4EXS1nriIA
and yet another at 21.30. it seemed very fearless.
http://youtu.be/1mv46aGlwDw
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni has been very active in the nest, arranging nest stuff and preening herself. at one instant it sounded and looked like she was knocking on the egg...? :puzzled:

the wind is so mild tonight that even the sounds of Pruuni combing her feathers can be heard...
i'll turn off the cam anyway.
i suppose Pruuni will begin to sleep soon, too. today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67DEBE35131E8D86
good night! :wave:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

22:35 Light feathers...is it Halli :puzzled:
Cam keeps switching off for me. :banghead:
Goodnight ame. Thanks for all todays info. :2thumbsup:
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:hi: June 4

The buzzard (Pruuni, or Halli?) does not want to wake up yet, even if it is a beautiful morning.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

A herd of boars is below. They were grunting & woke Halli (?), who then flew off for a while. Now one buzzard is back, sitting on the back branch, but I can't see which one it is.

Halli is startled awake by boars below the tree & he flies off for a short while. (Sorry for the odd sounds in the reocrding-- I was playing a game at the same time . . . :blush:)

About 7:11--

About 7:16 am-- The sound of wild boars below the tree.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Kitty KCMO wrote:A herd of boars is below. They were grunting & woke Halli (?), who then flew off for a while. Now one buzzard is back, sitting on the back branch, but I can't see which one it is.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

good morning Kitty! :hi:
i think it was Halli. it's odd, he came at 7.17 but he didn't come to the nest, just sat on the branch... and then took off again at 7.18.

he returned almost at once bringing a stick. (i guess he was taking measurements for the stick on the branch 8-) )
then he came into the nest and arranged the twig.

he talked a little to himself and took off again at 7.24.

... and returned at 7.29, bringing a dry stick again. now he's down.
ame

Post by ame »

i found out from the Pontu pictures that they made a change at 5.09. this time Halli dropped by the nest before the chance: he flew to the front branch on the left at 5.05 but took off again. Pruuni didn't say much anything... then after a while he returned and brought a stick, not food. so Pruuni didn't say much but left.
...and there was a cow muu'ing loud! :laugh:

Kitty thanks! :wave:
i'll have things to do today...
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:hi: Good morning, Ame! Sorry to not answer right away, Y-tube was being very slow to upload a couple of my videos again. :bash: The videos were added up above to my posting.

It was funny to see Halli startle awake when the boars grunted loud below the tree. He got up & cautiously peered over the edge. I caught that on my recording above & of him leaving after being awakened.

In your video above, it looked like Halli was trying to imitate the jay by landing on the branch by the cam. :rotf: He didn't fit too well . . .

P.S.-- Have a nice day, Ame, if I go to bed before you return.
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

9:32-- All seems quiet now, sleeping with head under wing (can't tell which one).

:offtobed: I am off to bed now, so enjoy the cams today, everyone. Soon I will be :sleep:. I will enjoy everyone's videos & photos when I come back in a few hours. :wave:
Kitty KCMO

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”