Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

RPPinUSA

Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Post by RPPinUSA »

:sad: Where is the male? Very sad.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I heard yesterday from a lady from the Netherlands that Papa Owl is not seen since some time. I dont know what happened but on the video i learn that mom is looking for food for the little one - so she must look for her own meal, too. Its so sad to watch her - she is sleeping only a very short time, then looking for food, preaning the little, hatching the other eggs - most of the time now i see one egg next to her - nearby but not under her. It will be too much to take care for food for three owletts - we will see what is going on...
Here some pics from this evening:

by the way: there were some fights with merles and i saw a pigeon sitting there, often, too. Perhaps Papa Owl had an accident or lost a fight :cry:
RPPinUSA

Post by RPPinUSA »

I cry with you Bleggi :cry:
I tried to translate using Babelfish.com. From what I could get, they have not found a body to be sure as to what happened to poppa. If the other two eggs should not hatch, perhaps the little one might have a chance? I know that is wishful thinking.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

Just now after midnight I saw mom owl with big eyes and heard a strange noise. And was met I on the other room looking from outside? I think it may be a barn owl? Or is it the same kind but not Papa owl?

Just a very sweet picture, taken some minutes ago, where mom is preaning and cleaning her baby
Image so cute :2thumbsup:
RPPinUSA

Post by RPPinUSA »

I too was watching cam 1 and heard the noise of someone on the plank. I went to cam 3 hoping to see poppa, but it was a barn owl. The barn owl looked into the hole for a while but then seemed very startled and quickly went away. I am very sure it was a barn owl.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I watched the video where the owl is to see - did not get the owl from outside. This are a kind of owls who is often in the tower of a church. In the video they write that the owl is looking for an own home

It is getting worse with the stock pigeon, too. There are two of them a video shows. I am in great sorrow for that. One of them i saw more often. This pic I took three days ago
RPPinUSA

Post by RPPinUSA »

:loveshower: HE IS BACK!! Poppa is back. I read on the website that perhaps poppa had been shut up in a barn and not able to get out. BUT HE IS BACK. :headroll:
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Indeed the male is back! He just resumed feeding as if nothing ever happened.

The 2 clips of the Barn Owl visiting the nestbox show that he was chased away twice by another owl. It is not clear, but in the clip "28 mei 2012 | Weer een kerkuil (of 2?)?" (= Again a Barn Owl (or 2)?) you see a smaller owl chasing away the Barn Owl, yesterday at 0:15 (i.e., 24 hrs ago). There is speculation that the first one might have been a Little Owl ("our" male?), but it is hard to see. The Barn Owl returns, and is chased away again, now by a larger Owl, possibly by the Tawny Owl that has been heard various times.

In the clip "28 mei 2012 | Uilenstrijd: kerkuil-bosuil" (= Owl battle - Barn Owl vs Tawny Owl) you see both events in slow motion.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

Yes, owl-daddy is back. I watched the cam very often and longer the last days and have some pictures from yesterday evening:

the little one waiting for mom and food - dont know where the third egg is :puzzled:

maybugs are to find very easy - it seems

feeding and suddenly.....

..... who is coming in ???

Image :loveshower:
Daddy is back - seems like a wonder - "thank you Lord for caring" (dad is to see on the right a little bit)

I am so grateful because I was nearly crying for this little creatures - for mom and baby. Now its okay again and perhaps we will see still a second baby?
Bleggi :hi:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Rpp,Bosuil and Bleggi such happy news.... :loveshower: Thank goodness papa owl is unhurt.
I think its the same couple who have been togther now for quite a few years.
(it was great last year when we had a section in english,so we could follow much better. :mrgreen:)

:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

macdoum wrote:I think its the same couple who have been togther now for quite a few years.
Macdoum, I read in the Dutch blog they discovered is not the same female (when checking the nest) - about the male, they can't be sure (he wasn't ringed).

Oh, and sorry about not having the English section up this year at GenietvandeLente.nl, it was taking too much time to keep track of all the birds, maybe I should have picked a few - but then which! - However, I keep thinking the organisation running the site should provide translations (as I wrote them several years ago, when they proclaimed having thousands of international followers ...).
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Bosuil wrote: Macdoum, I read in the Dutch blog they discovered is not the same female (when checking the nest) - about the male, they can't be sure (he wasn't ringed).

Oh, and sorry about not having the English section up this year at GenietvandeLente.nl, it was taking too much time to keep track of all the birds, maybe I should have picked a few - but then which! - However, I keep thinking the organisation running the site should provide translations (as I wrote them several years ago, when they proclaimed having thousands of international followers ...).
Bosuil I wrote this year and got no reply. :cry: I always followed The Little Owl and sometimes the falcons.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I found the little one with opened eyes on a video of Beleef de Lente. I will show it and watch the cam to get own ones, soon.
The text means: "chick: standing, walking, opening the eyes." (I dont know this language but it is a bit like german)

The videos are great. I never thought that they catch so many maybugs, frogs, birds etc. Owl-Daddy is very busy - I am wondering where they eat it in - they are so small. It is a pitty that they did not breed one egg more - but Mom could not know that Daddy will come back. So they can be sure - this little one will grow and get a beautiful big "Little Owl".
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Bleggi wrote: Just a very sweet picture, taken some minutes ago, where mom is preaning and cleaning her baby
Image so cute :2thumbsup:
This is one of the cutest owl pictures I have ever seen!
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I am deeply shocked: baby owl is hurt. This morning I found the video: Chicken hurt on the left leg?

Image When owl-mom left the nest she stepped on the leg of her baby.

The arms of the baby seems okay but when it turned
Image Image
I noticed that it can only stretch the one leg. During the whole day I was watching the cam most of the time to see the baby without the owl-mother and just now I saw it: the baby is still alive, what I did not know until now, but the leg is still stretched.
Image This is the picture of the hurt leg.

Mother was just eating and she is not being careful with the little one - dont know what will happen. Some days ago people was here for ringing the mother and taking the left egg. Isn't there a way to help the little one? Or is it too small to do something? I dont know anything at all but I could cry since I saw that. Its like one of my cats is sick - then I am sick, too. :cry:

Sorry for a strange writing but I am not in a good condition and also don't know the right words to describe the sad event.
Bleggi
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Bleggi,I can understand how you feel. yes the chicks leg is injured (see the clip 'kuiken blessed' or such).I waited last night until Mama Owl left to see. Yes the little leg is sticking out straight in an unnattural position. I don't what will become of the chick. Its future is not good I think. :cry:
Sometimes we are so lucky and happy to see the nests and chicks but when something bad happens we see it too.C'est la vie Bleggi.
The language for Beleef site is Dutch.
Emily Dickinson
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I was watching the little bird yesterday and I feel very, very bad and sad about its condition. I have tried to translate a bit of different dutch reports and just liked to wrote for asking wether there is a person who knows the german language. Translations are terrible by Google and my mail did not start - I am so sorry. I had liked to adopt two birds but when I dont understand what I have to write I cannot connect contacts to Beleef de Lente.
One letter of a person of today I understood that way that she was wondering why they did not let a vet look and help the little bird - they seem to tell it is "Nature" - the person ment then they may not ring the birds and let them as nature birds without doing anything to them.
Another bird got a surgery by a broken wing (or leg) - got help and recovered.
Now the owls are in the right corner of their home and not to see like before. Perhaps the cam will be changed a bit - one member is asking for it. A little bit of the dutch language seems like the german one but not so much.
Sorry for writing all this - perhaps it is not okay for you - then I will delete it again. Please tell me about it - thank you.
A very sad Bleggi :unsure:
Manu

Post by Manu »

@Bleggi: It makes me so sad to read your posts about this poor, little chick :cry: .
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

How I love this animals - so I will put some pictures again
Image Image

I never know is it Dad or is it Mom - baby owl will know it. But perhaps the female owl is ringed and the male not.

Manu - many watchers of the cam are sad, too. The parents are feeding more than baby can eat. Sometimes the eyes stay closed when the food is offered in front of babies mouth...
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

The parents are feeding very well and the poor little owl is growing. Mother is hatching and cleaning, but the little one likes more being under mothers wings
Image Image

Image :hi:

Return to “Owls”