Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by Olga »

Bertha today, just before noon:

I have not edited the videos, they are as my cam made them.

That video was not all.. :laugh: She had just begun her watching..
Bertha at 12:03

Do you think she stopped? Oh no, she didn't..

There are no pauses on the video stream or still pictures nor cuts either.. She just was standing like that..at last she took some water, ate some nuts..It was me then who made some noise and she left, but..

she was back on the next minute:

Ah, she has been there all the afternoon, she is eating like little horse, and she chases Baby face away..Poor of the little boy.

I'll check later on if I got something to show of the show after this session. I think that at last I got a short video of Baby face sitting and eating, and taking water.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

First I have to save some pictures of the mother Bertha (I have a surprise waiting to be uploaded in youtube).

Screen shots of Bertha from the yesterday's videos. She seems to be extremely careful and alert, she has a reason! You will see it later in this evening :D

This is how she watched at the window yesterday, for more than 5 minutes at one place...

Olga

Post by Olga »

Bertha, yesterday, watching and watching..I think she is a self confident and fearless and a wise squirrel, she is shy and and alert, and she defends her Squirrel rights. She need lot food, she is a mother.

Olga

Post by Olga »

more pictures of Bertha.. :D

Bertha, yesterday, watching and watching..I think she is a self confident and fearless and a wise squirrel, she is shy and and alert, but she is a real squirrel, so a small mammal here on the Squirrel hill. And she defends her Squirrel rights. She needs lot food, she is a mother. Her behavior was surprising to see but I think now that I know the reason.. you will see..

Nappu was there too, following the show that begun as Baby face tried to come eat at same time with Bertha, she was so interested that she for got even to bark.

Olga

Post by Olga »

Image'

That was all from yesterday.

oh my, the video..I almost forgot.. ( I was doing next videos at same time..)

Olga

Post by Olga »

Baby face

pics from the video taken after Bertha.

at 16:00

Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday evening I checked the support construction of the feeder. It seemingly needed some reparation.

I changed the fragile trunks and branches, washed the platform and the feeder.. etc But I did not get it ready, but I organized the feeder for squirrels to come to eat anyway.

Yes, I was busy today.

here you can see what there was behind the window as I came at home:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Olga

Post by Olga »

The Baby pup! :laugh:

last summer the first pups were seen for one week earlier. This summer has been quite cold.

Anyway, now I had luck to have cleaned the feeder place just one night before. I have been waiting to see pups.. of course. Let's hope there are more pups to come.
I have to be extremely careful with Nappu from now on, from morning to evening.. Nanu the older dog is not that interested as Nappu..
Olga

Post by Olga »

Baby face came straight after the pup.

Olga

Post by Olga »

The male squirrel whom I don't know, not yet, he came after Baby face:

Olga

Post by Olga »

videos of Baby face and the next visitor:

14:40
1:

15:00
2:

Bertha herself appeared at 18:30. She was also about to come, but looked shocked the new, temporary place for the feeder..

3: tomorrow
Olga

Post by Olga »

What a busy day again.. :slap:

At 16:00 I saw a pup. Is it the same pup as yesterday, I am not sure.. supposedly he is. It left at 16:40.. I could see where he went...

The pup is a boy.. :D He was on the feeder for 40 minutes! I made my best to disturb him, I suppose that at whiles he was aware of some 'danger' close to him. be cause he stopped all moving and stood at a same position like a little furry statue.. well, his mustaches vibrated.. Me too tried to be totally motionless, ans the pup was able to see just the lens.

I am forced to not make as much videos I would like to.. :unsure: but some videos I'll edit of this visit, for sure. Bertha was at the feeder in the midday, alone, as well as the pup, all alone. The pup jumps well, and there seems not to be any hesitation as he decides to climb upwards the perch.. I have no idea how old he is..

I saw the pup standing like that for more than two minutes, all motionless - it would be worth to make a video!! The camera lens was as it was, out, I could not move even my fingers..and I did not dare to push the cam to stop, the pup had noticed it, and he was afraid already..

Most of the time there was no cam between the curtains..and the pup could eat nuts in all peace.. He has sharp senses, I am sure :laugh:

Olga

Post by Olga »

today at 16:00-16:40

Olga

Post by Olga »

16:00-16:40

I see that the new construction has like a corner for the pup to be hiding! :D

alice44

Post by alice44 »

The pup is so cute.
It looks like I forgot to say that yesterday. :blush:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, Alice! You are not alone.. :D Me the pup makes speechless, it's something almost too much...

:mrgreen: I am uploading videos! I haven't edited them much, I mean it is not happening that much on the videos which will be here soon. The pup may sit almost without any motions for minutes.. I took some shots, together about 9 minutes.
But it is just wonderful to have the luck to see this little miracle so close.

I don't want to save those rare moments only for me..

1: The first video, Bertha (the mother of the pup??):
She she had visited even early in the morning, in midday and again in afternoon at 15:00, for one hour before the pup.

2: Baby squirrel at place. There it is with the big toes of a baby mammal. It liked to sit inside feeder and eat there, at first.

3: It stopped eating and stood like leaning backwards, almost motionless. ... I had put the cam to take video... not much 'happenings' 8-)

(I'll test if the tools of youtube could make the videos a bit 'better', by some additional contrast.. or something. Lighting was a bit difficult for me - I am not a photgrapher at all!! )
Olga

Post by Olga »

more videos from the nine minutes which I followed him behind the curtain..

4: ...eating again..

5:..eating, stopped eating, sitting with a nut in the mouth and ..hm..what may he have been 'thinking' of.. I believe he was a bit scared, but also hungry. Maybe the mother does not give milk for him anymore?? ..who knows..

6: It is aboy. He was just sitting there like that, making himlesf lower and lower, perhaps he felf more safety that way.

7: At last he stopped 'dreaming', settled himself inside the feeder and enjoyed his nut lunch..

Soon I shut the camera and left him in peace. I didn't try to see where he went as he had got enough. I don't know where is the nest. I even don't know if there is a new litter! :laugh:

The pup was there for 40 minutes.

the last video:

Olga

Post by Olga »

The pup returned, on the same afternoon as´on the videos above, at 17:00. He seems to be a brave little squirrel boy. I saw with my own eyes that he chased away Baby face, an adult male squirrel! After that he just continued his lunch.

..no video..

But the pup made the same again, chased away an other adult, yesterday evening at 21:00! So, the pup is not some helpless little 'abandoned' squirrel baby but a brave little squirrel, though very young. His behaving seemed very different now after the first visit. He is wise enough not to jump on the lawn, he uses the branches I have put towards the wall.

13th June at 17:00

Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday, 14th June:

Actually I think the pup who seems now to visit on regular basis is not always the one and same.. I just can't recognize them. The lighting has been difficult, bright sharp sun shine behind the view.

Bertha, I suppose, the mother..

One more time the pup appeared, as soon as I took dogs inside, at 20:50 or so..
He ate concentrated and behaved calm. Just he chased away an adult male but then he continued as if nothing had happened. - I am not sure who the male was.. Today, the 15th June, I think I saw Baby face, the about two years old male with a rather 'short tail'..but the pup did not accept him. :laugh:

There is a male squirrel escaping the pup! at 21:00!

Return to “Seasons”