Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by Olga »

..continues:

'Spot nosed pup inside the feeder:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

At 10:10 appeared a male. He looked very alert..

His color was 'shocking red', and I believed he is a new visitor, but I am not sure of that..

continues..
Olga

Post by Olga »

Three more screen captures from the previous video of the Timid Red fur today at 10:10:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:!: But now, I have something to tell!

Lets see some pictures from last summer!! :loveshower:

5th June 2011:

I just think that the color, the tassels(!) and the fur is of the same red tone as the young looking unrecognized male squirrel of today. He was so very shy and alert when he approached the feeder at 10:00. He climbed to the half way from the roof, then he climbed back, again and again. At last I shut the curtain and tried to forget him. After some minutes he was there, lurking behind the feeder corner - at the moment I remembered those last year's pups, and the very same looking one lurking with a nut between his teeth, though baby then..

I could almost swear that this baby is the same male squirrel I saw today! Of course I can be wrong... :nod:

More pictures and videos of the babies in June 2011:

We saw them for one week earlier, so they were smaller and younger than these pups we have seen in this summer. Last Aperil and June were warmer than this year..

..pics and videos from the 5th and the 6th June 2011:

viewtopic.php?p=104037#p104037
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Beautiful pictures of the birds and squirrels. They are so clear, and the colors are great :loveshower: Thank you Olga :wave:
Olga

Post by Olga »

..I hope I have noticed the worst type mistakes and .. well.. you know..squirrels the main thing!! .. :mrgreen:

There were some other squirrels too, like Bertha.. and Baby face visited again in the afternoon..

But there are always birds too. Today I saw a very small Coal tit. There used to be here two of them eating regularly pn the feeder, but they vanished in the spring time. I did not get picture of it today. Let's hope it will return tomorrow!

There has been seen two kind of Finches, Chaffinches (Fringilla coelebs) and Greenfinches (Carduelis chloris)! The Greenfinches are not as common as Chaffinches.

The Chaffinches do not eat so often on the feeder, but they can be seen every day. But I think a Greenfinch chick has been an usual visitor for some days now. Today there was an adult with it... :thumbs: ..a chick and a male or could it be that the grayish one is a female.. :puzzled:
I just think it behaved like a chick..
(the video and the pics are not very good..)

These small birds are much more alert than Great tits and Blue tits, difficult to catch well on video, they know always even beforehand that I am pushing the camera on. :D
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi05 wrote:Beautiful pictures of the birds and squirrels. They are so clear, and the colors are great :loveshower: Thank you Olga :wave:

Thanks for your interest, Lussi!

I have to say that I love this screen capture!

For three years ago I thought that all Red squirrels look the same, they are all identical, squirrels are squirrels... No, they are not, they have differnt traits on fur tone and on their face etc..they even do behave in different ways..they are individuals.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Good morning! Very cute pictures - and I while looking at them I also "took" 2 to print and keep here, and yes, I chose this one you mentioned in your last post!
The other day I met one red squirrel in the morning next to my house when I walked to the bus stop. It dashed to the next tree and the funny thing was, there is this man who walks his dog at that time (so I also meet them every day), and the dog looks like your Nappu/Nanu in a smaller version :mrgreen: - and the little dog also saw the squirrel, but it was so fast, so he was very puzzled what to do next? Bark? Run after it? Ignore it? His face was absolutely precious in that moment! :rotf:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Tuula

Post by Tuula »

Olga wrote: Hello, Tuula! Thank you :wave: Wellcome to the forum! :gathering:
Thank you. A wonderful view images that are large. It is nice to see near the birds, squirrels and other animals, because I do not see so well outdoors. :2thumbsup:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Good morning :wave:

I was testing camera, and there it was, the Coal tit! :laugh: But do you think it look a bit wrecked?? :unsure:

I'll be busy today. It's Midsummer eve here in Finland today.
Olga

Post by Olga »

It's Midsummer eve here on Squirrel Hill..

Midsummer roses on Squirrel Hill:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Some visitors of today, Midsummer Eve in Finland:

two videos can been seen here, Bertha and her grayish pup:
viewtopic.php?p=146700#p146700

One of the pups, and (supposedly) his mother, Bertha. Bertha did not want the baby to follow her.. Later the pup was about to return, but Nappu was there under the pine.. poor of the pup. I have put sun flower seeds on the other side of the house..

Happy Midsummer time for Squirrel friends!!

Huh, what a day.. some cleaning has been done here on Squirrel Hill - nothing very special - but we have had problems with PC connection today.. it would be better to not touch on the PC's electric lines, better not to clean the dust.. not even twice during a year ?? :rotf:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga wrote:Good morning :wave:

I was testing camera, and there it was, the Coal tit! :laugh: But do you think it look a bit wrecked?? :unsure:
Yes, I do think the Coal tit look very strange. Something is wrong with the plumage on the sides. As if it is wet, and that some of the feathers are hanging down and are sticked together. Or if it has been in very bad weather or in a big fight.. :unsure:

By comparison, here is a Coal tit from my feeder:
- I will remove the picture if you want me to...

Edit:
Happy Midsummer to Squirrel Hill, and everybody :wave:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Happy Midsummer to you and all the squirrel friends here! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi, please, don't remove your Coal tit picture!! :D

I have been worried about the Coal tit couple I used to see here. They are rare, at least not as common as some other tits. Let's hope we will meet again the poor lonely Coal tit in a better condition!

I have been waiting to see Willow Tits too, but no, they too have disappeared some elsewhere... :unsure:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Good morning!

I have to add here two videos from the 22nd June, our Middsummer Eve:

Bertha in the midday:

The Grayish pup:

these two videos belong also to this post:
viewtopic.php?p=146340#p146340
Olga

Post by Olga »

:slap: yesterday there was so much happenings at feeder. Little by little I'll add pictures and videos of some of them.. I was busy yesterday, but every time I came in my room, someone was there, birds or squirrel..

It begun already in the morning:

23rd June, Midsummer day:

Roses turned red during night, it's due to the magic of the Finnish Midsummer :innocent: :

Bertha, seems to have slept late:

Some more pictures of Bertha and her 'ears' and the top fur of her tail:

Olga

Post by Olga »

..Bertha, on 23rd June, Midsummer day:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday videos continue:

A female, probably known from earlier times, butfor the moment I just can't recognize her:

3:

..the next one was a beautiful male, he looks familiar, but I can't name him )could be 'Oscar', named last summer.

He has tassels left :D

Olga

Post by Olga »

Oscar (might be Oscar the II)

Olga

Post by Olga »

Video of Oscar (Oscar the II?)

4:

pictures above taken from this video