Post by Fleur »

23:07
which bird calls here. :puzzled:
does anyone know it?

ergee

Post by ergee »

Probably a raccoondog..for just a second I could see the whole animal, the
body however was a bit slimmer..

At the right side of the remains of the dead seal an animal, a raccoondog again or
a marden...you can see a lighter throat.
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

Fleur wrote:23:07
which bird calls here. :puzzled:
does anyone know it?

I think this is same call of nightjar as in one of your previous video
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

:slap: I'm getting old vainamoinen :laugh:

viewtopic.php?p=141503#p141503
maertha

Post by maertha »

Hello :hi: Does anybody know what kind of ghost animal this is? Could it be a volverine?

Cax

Post by Cax »

maertha wrote:Hello :hi: Does anybody know what kind of ghost animal this is? Could it be a volverine?

I doubt that. Wolverine is here very very rare (although I have once seen one, long time ago, in West Estonia). I'd say it's a raccoon dog - at summer they are quite "out of fur". Might be a badger too, but their tail and legs are shorter. My guess is, this is raccoon dog. They have been here several times, different animals. One was quite furry, another not so much.
Majahaldjate Heaolu Edendamise Selts ja Võlukunsti Ministeerium On Jobud Grupp feat. Thorin teatavad: I am your favourite dwarf. Don't deny it, don't try to resist, resistance is futile :)
maertha

Post by maertha »

Cax wrote: I doubt that. Wolverine is here very very rare (although I have once seen one, long time ago, in West Estonia). I'd say it's a raccoon dog - at summer they are quite "out of fur". Might be a badger too, but their tail and legs are shorter. My guess is, this is raccoon dog. They have been here several times, different animals. One was quite furry, another not so much.
Thank you for your estimate :hi:. It´s probably more likely that it was a raccoon dog. The volverine came into my mind because of the proportions of this animal.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/wolverin ... tions.html
Cax

Post by Cax »

maertha wrote:
As I remember, wolverine is much bigger, like.. say.. a newfoundland dog (when I first saw it, I thaught it was that dog, who lived nearby). Raccoon dog is much smaller, bit bigger than a big cat.
Majahaldjate Heaolu Edendamise Selts ja Võlukunsti Ministeerium On Jobud Grupp feat. Thorin teatavad: I am your favourite dwarf. Don't deny it, don't try to resist, resistance is futile :)
maertha

Post by maertha »

Cax wrote:As I remember, wolverine is much bigger, like.. say.. a newfoundland dog (when I first saw it, I thaught it was that dog, who lived nearby). Raccoon dog is much smaller, bit bigger than a big cat.
I never had the pleasure to meet a volverine, Cax. Lucky you, you saw one live :headroll: . I agree, probably the "ghost animal" in this picture has not the size of a newfoundland dog :D .
ergee

Post by ergee »

This animal is just like the one I saw last night at about
01.00 am. A raccoondog I suppose.
ergee

Post by ergee »

ergee wrote:This animal is just like the one I saw last night at about
01.00 am. A raccoondog I suppose.
I've seen him at about the same spot but was
too late for a pic. Hoped he would stop for a moment but he did not...
Agatheb2k

Post by Agatheb2k »

:D
may be ?

... and now a mysterious animal in the grass

:wave:
ergee

Post by ergee »

The same animal...he is joking!!

about 01.20 o'clock
Now there are even two of them

they seem to know where the grass makes them almost invisible for us....
Agatheb2k

Post by Agatheb2k »

:D

2 raccoondogs ?
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

One Lynx,one 'unknown'.. :innocent:
Maertha, Could be a lynx...
Doesn't look like an RD at all.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ergee

Post by ergee »

Yes, for me 99% sure: raccoondogs. Now one of them near the seal...

Good night to all...till next time :wave:

Ps: a long tailed lynx?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Cax, I am so envious that you have seen a wolverine. I hope one day maybe I will get so lucky.
Cax

Post by Cax »

alice44 wrote:Cax, I am so envious that you have seen a wolverine. I hope one day maybe I will get so lucky.
Well, actually back then I had no idea, what I have seen, lol. It was about early 80ties, I was in the woods collecting mushrooms, and came back by the old unused railroad (Vana Virtsu raudtee). Suddenly, about 100 m or so I noticed some big dark animal doing something. First I thaught - fox, but fox is smaller and lighter and not so fat. Then I thaught about wolf or boar, but neither of them wouldn't normally walk around so close to farms at bright daylight (thou boars visited our potato field at midnight, lol). Then I thaught it is a bear, but again - bears haven't seen here and it was too small for an adult bear (similar by figure, color and movement thou); then I thaught about that dog, who lived nearby, a friendly one, and I called him. He didn't react. As closer I got, I saw bit lighter stripe on his side and the figure was almost like dog's or bear's, but not quite. Then I thaught, it must be wolverine, although I wasn't sure, bc I knew, they are very very rare, more like not living actually here, but visitors from Karjala (Finland). But as one got that far to the west - awesome!
I really don't remember, what happened, when I got closer, probably he just went back to the woods. I tried to find some footprints, but didn't find any - the sand on the road was very dry and didn't keep any prints. But some days later I did read the nature magazine and there was written about wolverine and how they have been seen in same places around. So it must have been definitely a wolverine - figure, size, color and place. It wasn't actually the close encounter, but still - I got some, lol.

Return to “Alutaguse Bear Webcam”