SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
maertha

Post by maertha »

12:50-13:32

12:50 Piret in the nest
12:52 Madis arrives with a fish
12:53 Both parents and a fish tail visible
12:53 Madis leaves the nest with the fish
13:06 Madis is back, maybe again with the fish. Piret in the foreground, so I can´t see what he´s doing, probably he´s eating
13:12 Madis leaves, this time without fish
13:16 Noises from upstairs
13:20 Piret finds the remainders of a fish at the edge of the nest where Madis was before. Feeding begins. One of the older chicks is not interested. Piret offers food to both eaglets, but it´s the bigger one which gets almost all
13:26 Now the older chick is full and Mini gets some morsels
13:31 Feeding stops, Piret is eating
13:32 The chicks fall asleep

----------------------------------------

According to Pontu 12:50 Piret was in the nest
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -12-50.jpg

12:52 Madis arrived with a fish
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -12-52.jpg

I opended the cam at 12:53 and saw both parents (and a fish tail)

12:53 Madis left the nest and took the fish with him

13:06 Madis landed, maybe again with the fish
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -13-06.jpg

13:12 Madis leaves, this time without fish
maertha

Post by maertha »

13:20 Piret finds the remainders of a fish at the edge of the nest where Madis was before. Feeding begins. One of the older chicks is not interested.
Piret offers food to both eaglets, but it´s the bigger one which gets almost all
13:26 Now the older chick is full and Mini gets some morsels
13:31 Feeding stops, Piret is eating
13:32 The chicks fall asleep

Thanks for the pictures of the feeding, Olga :wave:

This video shows the last part of the feeding from 13:20. C3 gets some food; C1 and C2 come as close as possible to the cam
jopie

Post by jopie »

Madis brings a large fish

Piret starts feeding right away

They are becoming more beautiful each day!

jopie

Post by jopie »

Feeding taking much more time nowadays then when they were younger, but now almost done.
Number 1 didn't seem very hungry and was fed last.
maertha

Post by maertha »

This video shows the fish delivery, the moment when Madis leaves the nest and the start of the feeding. Gunfire is audible, as quite often today. The complete feeding can be watched in the clips below, Part I. and PartII.

15:32

Edit: Thanks to Juta for the hint concerning the gunshots. The reason is mentioned in an article at the main page – I had overseen this :blush: . Urmas wrote in this text about the Estonian osprey 2 camera: “you can follow the shooting exercises of the Estonian Defence Forces”. And: “The distance between the two nests is about 4 kilometres.” So I think it is caused by the wind direction that we can hear the gunshots sometimes louder.
maertha

Post by maertha »

Madis left the nest after he brought the prey at 15:32. The feeding lasted, as jopie already said, unusually long (about 20 minutes). Piret fed almost the complete fish to the chicks. C3 is of course still smaller than the nest mates, but it seems to catch up :loveshower:

15:32 Madis brings this fish

He leaves a moment later

C3 is still smaller than its siblings…

…but it catches up. The crop is filled
maertha

Post by maertha »

15:32 -15:54 During this feeding one of the older chicks picked up a pine cone with its beak and held it for some seconds before it dropped the cone again. It´s visible in the second video below at 15:49. I saw this for the first time here. Tormi, the chick in the Lesser Spotted Eagle nest, used to play with a cone and practiced its hunting skills this way last year. (Tormis was older when he/she showed this behaviour.)

So maybe cones were not brought to the eagle nest at random? I suppose the same goes for the branches, which Piret and Madis often uses to perch on comfortably. Would be interesting to know if other ospreys also “furnish” their nests. :help:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Here are the videos of the above mentioned long feeding.

Part I.
[youtube]GerEkh-x9Mo&feature[/youtube]

Part II.
Morlach

Post by Morlach »

Hello everyone and greetings from Australia, this is my first post and thank you for adding me.

I have been watching this awesome nest for awhile now and absolutely love it, they are a gorgeous family. I also watch the LSE nest in Tooni.

I, like other have been worried about the third baby and if it is getting enough food. At first it was missing out on feeding and only just getting enough, but over the last few days it has been getting very good feedings and crop has been full. I have watched quite a few nest cams and this seems to be the trend with what happens with 3 baby nests, the youngest struggles at first but then things even out and all do fine.

Also noticed over the last few days they have really built up the railings and added some quite large branches. The poor babies have had a few knocks int he process though! :)

I have been recording videos as well and can see my collection at: http://www.youtube.com/user/Morlach/videos

I am also involved in a White-Bellied Sea-Eagle nest located in Sydney Australia and will be adding videos of that nest too.

Hope I am able to add to the information and fun of this over the next months.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Something strange seems to attract Tuuli's attention today. She appears alert and restless, often watching the sky . . .

. . . or the background . . .

. . . or flies out for a short time on and off.

Hopefully it is just the weather irritating her, its a bit windy occasionally.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi
Priscillash18

Post by Priscillash18 »

:wave: every1 I am new here just joined,here is a video I did Friday on this beautiful nest.,I hope this is right. baby osprey gets a good feeding, http://youtu.be/pHJ8e4fhF3s
jopie

Post by jopie »

maertha wrote:15:32 -15:54 During this feeding one of the older chicks picked up a pine cone with its beak and held it for some seconds before it dropped the cone again. It´s visible in the second video below at 15:49. I saw this for the first time here. Tormi, the chick in the Lesser Spotted Eagle nest, used to play with a cone and practiced its hunting skills this way last year. (Tormis was older when he/she showed this behaviour.)

So maybe cones were not brought to the eagle nest at random? I suppose the same goes for the branches, which Piret and Madis often uses to perch on comfortably. Would be interesting to know if other ospreys also “furnish” their nests. :help:

Maertha, if I saw it correct, it was the oldest one tossing the cone. The same wonders I have about the fresh Aspen branch which they brought to the nest already 2 times. LSE did the same last year when the young were a certain age. It must have a meaning, a function. One can only guess, but my guess would be that it keeps away certain insects or parasites.
Morlach

Post by Morlach »

dinner is served! Dad delivered fish and a huge feeding followed. All babies, including #3 are very full and are all now in food comas.

jopie

Post by jopie »

Almost unbelievable, but number 2 is tempted by the soft luring voice of Piret, to come and have another bite (or two).

Turns towards Mom and is eating again!

jopie

Post by jopie »

Is that an LSE close by?
maertha

Post by maertha »

jopie wrote:
Maertha, if I saw it correct, it was the oldest one tossing the cone. The same wonders I have about the fresh Aspen branch which they brought to the nest already 2 times. LSE did the same last year when the young were a certain age. It must have a meaning, a function. One can only guess, but my guess would be that it keeps away certain insects or parasites.
I think it has a function, jopie. A while ago we discussed a BBC article: Blue tits use “aromatic plants such as mint or lavender, which kill bacteria".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 199726.stm

A similar strategy is known from other birds, see, for example, “The use of green plant material in bird nests to avoid ectoparasites” by Peter H. Wimberger. In this context it´s interesting that the ospreys brought several times clumps of lichen to the nest. I have no idea what it was - maybe a kind of Cladonia? Some lichen grows on dead wood anyway, but without any doubt the eagles added them also to the nest material intentionally.

At wildflowerfinder and other sources I read that many kinds of lichen contain Usnic acid, which “is highly effective against gram positive bacteria such as those which cause tuberculosis (mycobacterium tuberculosis), food poisoning (staphylococcus), enteritis (enterococcus faecalis and faecium) and pneumonia (pneumonococcus) as well as being an anti-ptotozoan, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and an analgesic.”
http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/ ... entosa.htm

Wouldn´t it be quite useful to have a natural agent like this in a nest full of chicks and fish remainders?
jopie

Post by jopie »

Birds are so clever. I know it is their instincts, but nevertheless it is amazing! Thanks for answering Maertha.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Good evening Everybody! :wave:

I have a video about the dinner at 19:11.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:
welcome to new members - - - no mentioned, none forgotten (I have lost the overview too :blush: )

and thanks for all updates concerning life in nest during the day :2thumbsup:

I haven´t been able to look very constantly, but can add that I at

11.32 saw Madis was in nest, his arrival caused not vey much noise, chicks were sleeping and Piret was in front of his left leg, so first after about 2 minuts, when Piret finally decided to get it, it was to see that he in fact brought a fish, not very large. Then Madis left and Piret began a feeding I hadn´t time for looking at :cry: .........

13.51 Piret brought a new branch to nest when she returned................

14.38 Madis was in nest, don´t think he brought anything - he left again after a minut.........

17.30 Piret was moving around in nest with twigs and branches...........

18.05 Piret obviously found a piece of fish in nest was feeding - again I hadn´t no time for watching to the end................

22.12 Piret was feeding, all three chicks in front of her and Madis took his turn with moving around with a punky branch - and then my computer got a stoke of heat
:offtobed:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”