NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

NancyM
Site Admin

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by NancyM »

Welcome, Birdy!
~~~~~~

17:57 Madis delivers another fish (carp?) - a bit smaller than the first one.

All three are fed, but #2 soon decides to use the first big fish as a headrest. #3 gets a huge amount, then he conks out and Uno is still eating at 18:20.

jopie

Post by jopie »

Number 2 "playing" with a pine cone

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Me again :hi:

Here is one of the chicks playing with a fir cone, while Mummy is thinking about what to do with all the fish :innocent:

Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Manu

Post by Manu »

Hello Birdie,
welcome here in the Forum :hi:

The two big ones seem to be not very hungry. They games with branches and bring the nest in order.

Feeding Part.1

Feeding Part.2
Millie

Post by Millie »

Another fish at 15.58 UK. Piret feding 1 and 2 and now 3 has joined in. Huge portion of last fish on the right of the nest.1 and 2 have lost interest allready so 3 is having Mums full attention. No 1? is using old fish as a pillow.
No 3 has really grown over past few days.
maertha

Post by maertha »

This was the fish delivery from 17:57. Madis left the nest a minute later

[youtube]ZfoAcBdygAU&feature[/youtube]

maertha

Post by maertha »

And here plays the chick with the cone

Maniano

Post by Maniano »

as I remember, most of them were Crucian Carp. I think once I saw another kind of fish, a little trout I think. The crucian carps are most probably from the lake.
maertha

Post by maertha »

They must be descendants of this fluffy creature… :shock: :laugh:

Click here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... 26+Nature)

maertha

Post by maertha »

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Hi Maertha,

I`ve seen around 1 or 2 hours ago, that the female has taken the big fish out of the nest.
The one yet is a new fish, the male brings it without a head.
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

19.22 Madis brought another fish, headless. He ate self something from it and did also give a few bites to chick 1, shortly after he left and Piret took over and began feeding at 19.26

http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -19-23.jpg
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
jopie

Post by jopie »

around 19.50

Tail is for Piret

All 3 chicks are "out" ; that crop must be in the way while lying flat :laugh:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Birdie wrote:Hi Maertha,
I`ve seen around 1 or 2 hours ago, that the female has taken the big fish out of the nest.
The one yet is a new fish, the male brings it without a head.
:hi: Thanks for your estimation, Birdie. I thought the female (Piret) fed the remains of the huge fish to the chicks, which was still in the nest at 17:57 when Madis brought fresh prey, see picture below.
Maybe you remember the exact time or took some pictures? This would be interesting.

jopie

Post by jopie »

As far as I have seen, the huge fish, and the remains later on, never left the nest.
Madis brought a new one when the rest of the fish was at the right side.
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Hi again Maertha :wave:

sorry, I didn't take pictures from the situation Piret takes the fish out of the nest.
The last picture I`ve taken was at 18:27:39, Piret feeds the chicks and one of them tried to eat by himself. That was the big (old) fish. That is this pic

After a while, when Piret was ready with feeding and the chicks were lying around with thick bellys, she took the rest of the fish and carried it out of the nest.
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
jopie

Post by jopie »

maertha

Post by maertha »

Birdie wrote:Hi again Maertha :wave:

sorry, I didn't take pictures from the situation Piret takes the fish out of the nest.
The last picture I`ve taken was at 18:27:39, Piret feeds the chicks and one of them tried to eat by himself. That was the big (old) fish. That is this pic
<pic removed>
After a while, when Piret was ready with feeding and the chicks were lying around with thick bellys, she took the rest of the fish and carried it out of the nest.
Doesn´t matter, Birdie, I was just curious, because I have not seen Piret taking away food from the nest since the chicks hatched (others may have seen it). Are you familiar with Pontu? It´s an archive which stores pictures of this nest. The pics are taken once a minute: it´s a possibility to get at least a snapshot if you have missed something. According to Pontu this is what might have happened:

18:24 Piret has left the nest, one of the chicks uses the fish remains as a pillow
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -18-24.jpg
18:28 Piret back, she feeds the remains to the chicks as visible in your picture above
18:38 http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -18-38.jpg
18:39 Piret has left the nest, some fish is still there http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -18-39.jpg
18:41 And now a flying visit. Neither the special feather at the left side (female) nor the ring (male/right leg) is visible in this picture, so I am not positive about this :shake: - but I suppose it was Madis, the male, who came to “steal” the fish. He did it several times before http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -18-41.jpg
18:43 Piret back in the nest (she has no rings) http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -18-43.jpg
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

I didn´t watch constantly, but was vey much on and off because of sounds, but I think you are right Maertha, it must have been Madis who toke the piece of fish, otherwise Piret had been very, very busy

18.40 Piret has just left - still piece of fish in nest. I had just turned my back to and heard someone coming in nest, but before I was back the adult was away again
18.42 fish is gone
18.43 Piret back with nestmaterial

19.22 Madis arrives with headless fish - leftover from the one he took in nest 18.41?
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
jopie

Post by jopie »

:hi: BHP, never saw it taken away, but it must have gone like you 2 said. It was Madis, the long wing feathers of Piret have a kind of "stripes"on the inside. Difficult to explain, but Madis doesn't have that. And in the Pontu picture of Maertha the Osprey has smooth wing feather ends. Difficult to describe, pffff

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”