Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Post by Felis silvestris »

A big thank you, Dr. Madis, I think everyone is happy to read your reports and aobut the welfare of the storklet.

For the German members, Leonia has done the translation with lightning speed and I have just put it here: viewtopic.php?p=149413#p149413

Thanks also to Leonia!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thank you so much, Dr. Madis, for your report and this new thought about the injury.
And thanks Leonia for doing the translation so quickly...
heidu

Post by heidu »

:bow: Madis, you are my hero :nod: BIG thanks for the news
Sylvie Lefevre

Post by Sylvie Lefevre »

thanks dr madis that is a good work at least we have good news here :D
Birds are the link between human beings and God
baska

Post by baska »

Hello everybody :wave:

I haven't been at home for three days nor did I read the forum. So, I was amazed about the incidents, actions and lots of postings (11 pages).
It's wonderful, how everybody took care of Lenny by watching him, saving him and curing him.
Thank you to all, especially to URMAS for getting him out of the nest and looking for him later on in the "hospital". :loveshower:
And thank you particularly to Dr. MADIS for the detailed reports! :loveshower:
I am very curious, what will go on with Lenny, and I wish him all the best.

I realized, that some persons are worried about the future of Lenny, that he might never live in the wild again...
That is why I want you to tell you about one stork in Germany, who lost half of his beak and still is able to survive without any problems.
I am member of the forum with http://www.storchenelke.de/, and 5 years ago (2007) we watched this male stork:

The exact cause of the fracture of the beak is unknown.
The left picture was made immediately after the accident. It shows missing half of its lower beak.
About 4 weeks later, the right photo was taken, where half of the upper beak is also missing.
In the beginning, living in the wild was unthinkable, but with the completely reduced beak, there were no problems, neither looking for food nor preening.

Two years after the accident his beak was looking like this.
The upper beak has grown a little bit, but not much.

Nevertheless, he can do with his beak like his conspecifics with the long version, and he is in the best of health, like you can see in this video ...
[youtube]JwqAXjMwza8#![/youtube]

Like this, you can see: everything is possible!

Have all a nice day!
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Bea

Post by Bea »

A butterfly has chosen the storklets´ nest for a sunbath :D

Thank you, Dr. Madis, for your update! :thumbs:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

14:31 Tiit brought some fish

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Dr. Madis, thank you for keeping us informed and for all additional information about Lenny. :wave:
Madis wrote:Anyways just some thoughts, maybe somebody who can differentiate the nestlings can look at the beak from former pictures and see if there is something noticeable now when we know what to look.
I looked through some photos and videos from the day before ringing, as well as of the last hours before the ringing, but I didn't notice any visible abnormalities or defects in the appearance of Lenny's beak. But images from the camera are not sufficiently clear, so maybe not all details are visible.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
ame

Post by ame »

Bea wrote:A butterfly has chosen the storklets´ nest for a sunbath :D

Thank you, Dr. Madis, for your update! :thumbs:
this butterfly looks like a poplar admiral, the same butterfly which i guessed was visiting the WTE/buzzard nest some time ago. :D
(viewtopic.php?p=145552#p145552)
did you see what colour of the underparts of the wings was, Bea?

i'm so happy that Lenny is receiving the best care possible! thank you Urmas and Dr. Madis! :loveshower:
Manu

Post by Manu »

@Baska: Thank you for the story and the pictures of the stork with "broken" beak.
So we don't give up hope that Lenny could alive in wild, if the recovery is completed...
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you Dr Madis and everyone for the latest news.
I'm hopeful that all the treatment will have a positive outcome. :2thumbsup:

From Lucy's Lot of pics,I am not familiar enough with the BS beak from to judge if the fissure is apparent before the ringing.
Maybe Urmas can tell,he has so much more experience....if he has time to look at the pics by Lucy ?
Baska has also given us a lot of hope with her exposé on the injured White stork. :nod:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bea

Post by Bea »

ame wrote: this butterfly looks like a poplar admiral, the same butterfly which i guessed was visiting the WTE/buzzard nest some time ago. :D
(viewtopic.php?p=145552#p145552)
did you see what colour of the underparts of the wings was, Bea?
ame, to me it looks as if both sides of the wings are quite similar .... :puzzled:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have just clicked through the Pontu pictures of June 28, there are several quite good ones showing the beak(s) from all sides, and to my amateur eye it looks okay. Already yesterday evening I had looked at the Pontu pictures of immediately after the ringing and there the blood stain on the beak is quite clearly visible!
There are too many Pontu pictures every day, so I have not yet reached end June, but I have started the upload of 28th now (Photobucket is sadly so slow, and gets slower with each upload done on one day), I hope it'll finish today and I'll start 29th as soon as I can!
Leonia sent me some research results she has done during afternoon and found a referral to skeletal deformities in connection with trematodes. Maybe she finds the time to write something herself later, when she is at home?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

ame

Post by ame »

Bea wrote: ame, to me it looks as if both sides of the wings are quite similar .... :puzzled:
..hmmm... ? :puzzled: ok, Bea. to me it seemed that in both of you pictures there was the upper side of the wings. ... i think we'd need a bigger picture of the butterfly to see properly what it was.

the nest is now washed with white downy feathers as if there had been snowfall. the storklets are undergoing a shift from white to black now. they are preening their white downs away and the black long cover feathers are growing fast so that their appearance is changing day by day. during this change-over they don't look very pretty but they are getting on the better side now, i think.
asteria

Post by asteria »

They are still waiting for Lenny.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

ame wrote:
the nest is now washed with white downy feathers as if there had been snowfall.
It reminds me of my washing machine after the pillow exploded inside last summer ... :unsure:

:rotf:

NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Madis wrote: Anyways today morning he got fish for food (today morning I went to the market and got him some small herring), hes meds and fluids. In the evening I'm taking off the bandage and will see how is the fractures doing. Lets hope for the best - that's what we can do.

Cheers,
--
With best regards,

Madis Leivits, DVM
Expert-veterinary
Estonian Fund for Nature

tel. +372 525 8994
email: madis@elfond.ee
http://www.elfond.ee
Thank you Dr. Madis for going shopping for Lenny ~ I am sure he is much better just from the food and medicines you are giving him.

(I see you know Ed Clark from WCV, and I have sent you a "friend" request on Facebook ~ maybe we can tell Lenny's story there as well?)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have news from Urmas to share concerning donations. He already received mine from last evening (going really fast, I am surprised)! He is naturally concerned about the costs for Lenny's treatment and hopes money also goes to Estonian Fund for Nature (the account stated is correct, the IBAN I can give or you can find out through the bank's homepage). He also suggests to use bank transfer as with Paypal not everything will reach as Paypal takes its fees!

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

baska wrote: Nevertheless, he can do with his beak like his conspecifics with the long version, and he is in the best of health, like you can see in this video ...
[youtube]JwqAXjMwza8#![/youtube]

Like this, you can see: everything is possible!

Have all a nice day!
Baska, thank you for this story, it makes me more optimistic about Lenny.

Thank you Dr Madis, for your report about Lenny.
Felis silvestris wrote: It reminds me of my washing machine after the pillow exploded inside last summer ... :unsure:

:rotf:
Felis, I remember your pillow :laugh:
I don't remember this "moulting" from last year... :blush:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Lussi, you are right, although there were 4 birds in the nest! I just mad a quick click through last year's snaps and there is a short time when there are some white feathers in the nest, but mostly it looks black! :puzzled: Was is wetter or more wind? Tormi's nest looked like that for a while!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”