Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina~ 2012

Post by Felis silvestris »

The only thing I can think about which could make problems are scales. Fish definitely goes "in" better by head first, but when regurgitated? It's very fast when they do it, plus the wings of the storklets flapping around and their beaks poking in the parent's beak.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Felis silvestris wrote:The only thing I can think about which could make problems are scales. Fish definitely goes "in" better by head first, but when regurgitated? It's very fast when they do it, plus the wings of the storklets flapping around and their beaks poking in the parent's beak.
It is all just chaos to me :blush:
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Good morning :hi:

Yesterday, there were some other birds here. :mrgreen:

baska

Post by baska »

July 5th

Good morning everybody :wave:
Hello, Dr. Madis :hi:
Madis wrote:Howdy!
A bit about the trematode also... they are whit indirect development, they need to have 2 hosts before they can develop to adult trematodes. Usually the first hosts are snails and second host is fishes, so stork will get infected eating the infected fishes. Nestlings should get the adult trematodes from their parents when they regurgitate food to nestlings. Another interesting thing is that its described that that trematode can do hes developmental cycle through in warm climates, where the storks winter. so that is what we know about that parasite. The effect of that parasite to black stork population is not well known.
Yesterday evening everything went pretty much according how we planned. One thing what we noticed was that the other side is also nicked (something like if you bend plastic it will leave a line) and kept together by soft tissue and still soft keratin what covers the bone in the beak. That's why the fractured tip of the beak is so bendy.
Anyways today morning he got fish for food (today morning I went to the market and got him some small herring), hes meds and fluids. In the evening I'm taking off the bandage and will see how is the fractures doing. Lets hope for the best - that's what we can do.

Cheers,
--
With best regards,

Madis Leivits, DVM
Expert-veterinary
Estonian Fund for Nature
Thank you once more Dr. Madis for your detailed report of your examination.

It is easily comprehensible where the trematodes are coming from and how they are passed to the storklets.
But I don't understand the connection between these trematodes and the fracture of the beak.
Are the trematodes able to penetrate even a beak, so that they let the beak get breakable?

I wonder how the beak looked like after you took off the bandage....

So I'm very curious about your next report!
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Starling

Post by Starling »

Lucy wrote:Good morning :hi:

Yesterday, there were some other birds here. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comparison pics. What a change in one day! 8-)
pziel

Post by pziel »

Piotr
Why,pziel,is it of any importance whether fish regurgitated head or tail first :puzzled:

The is one difficulty.
In the dorsal fin many fish species have hard spikes. Swallowing head first they cause no problems, but in the opposite direction spikes may hurt oesophagus. For example the well known to everybody fish - carp (Cyprinus carpio) has hard spikes in the dorsal fin. And if there is a pond nearby with carps, parent storks bring them to the nest. I have seen on the nest carps 19 cm long (120 g) and they had hard spikes. It is interesting how adult storks overcome the difficulty of regurgitating such armed with spikes prey.
Piotr
pziel

Post by pziel »

it is almost impossible to catch this moment. In this slow motion video may be the tail was the first.

Thank you George for the video. It seems you are right.
Piotr
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

No breakfast today? Where are our parents? :unsure:

macko50

Post by macko50 »

13:18 Feeding

Slow motion.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

"Life is dull without food and our other sibling, isn't it? Lenny, where are you and above all how are you?"
Image :hi:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

:hi:
17:52
18:36
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I just managed one day today as there was a thunderstorm with hail and the next one is just coming.
But here is June 30 for checking

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l63 ... 6_June-30/
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Felis silvestris wrote:I just managed one day today as there was a thunderstorm with hail and the next one is just coming.
But here is June 30 for checking

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l63 ... 6_June-30/
Here too Felis...I'm in for a moment but last night we got a power outage (due to fire nearby...no one injured) and I lost internet...our son by phone got us a temp. connexion but I'm not going chance loosing that. :mrgreen: No emails in or out until they visit on 21st.. :cry: )
PMs OK as I can come here to see.
BBL if storm passes. :rolleyes:
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

:hi: I've been away for hours.
Is it possible that Tiit hasn't delivered any food today, and that the storklets were fed only once by Tiina, at 13:18? Has anyone seen Tiit today? That's very strange ... :puzzled:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I only watched the feeding that is shown here. If I had known that many people is on its way I had watched more the stork cam. So I had another one where we are waiting for power who got lost since nearly one week.
I hope that everything will be okay - I went to the side more often and saw the storks sitting, standing and laying around.
:offtobed: Bleggi
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

hello,
we know already, what was the cause of the injury? I've seen the pictures from the 06/29/12 again. There is a photo, on the very recent injury beak. http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l63 ... -16-06.jpg

greeting
Freedom!
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Lucy wrote::hi: I've been away for hours.
Is it possible that Tiit hasn't delivered any food today, and that the storklets were fed only once by Tiina, at 13:18? Has anyone seen Tiit today? That's very strange ... :puzzled:
Hello Lucy,

there was a feeding at about 14:00 by Tiit, but I missed recording it, and after I have been away also.
"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I was at work all day and when I could I looked in to the Latvian ospreys as they were ringed yesterday afternoon, but quite late. But once the Pontu pictures for yesterday are downloaded (today evening, when I'm at home) I'll flip trough, sometimes Pontu catches a feeding. Has to be at the right time, though, and since they usually are very fast, it's not so often.

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Good morning :hi:

08:10 - Morning mood..

- No news about Lenny?
Starling

Post by Starling »

Lussi05 wrote:Good morning :hi:

08:10 - Morning mood..

- No news about Lenny?
Good morning. :wave: