Ospreys and Eagles in Finland 2012

macdoum

Re: Ospreys and Eagles in Finland 2012

Post by macdoum »

Sadly Jukka the Finnish osprey had been lost;

http://www.luomus.fi/english/zoology/sa ... ilogue.htm

:cry:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Yesterday, June 28th, in the nest of Ospreys in Hailuoto-Marjaniemi, the first chick hatched. :loveshower:

In comparison with previous seasons, it is quite late clutch, the eggs were laid on May 21, 24, and 27 (14 days later than in the monitored Osprey nest in Estonia). But I believe that everything will be fine in that family. 8-)

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Today afternoon, the second chick hatched. :thumbs:

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

The third chick hatched early this morning :thumbs:

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Ospreys in Hailuoto-Marjaniemi
Cam link http://kotinetti.suomi.net/saaksi/index.php
alice44

Post by alice44 »

8:25

They are being fed :loveshower:

© Voitto Pulkkinen
Yoko

Post by Yoko »

:loveshower: it's OK!
Alice44 and Manu = :2thumbsup: .Thanks you !
Kemo is the mother and Nemo is the father.
We can post pictures always with mention (c) studio Voitto Pulkkinen.
13 jully, 4h38 pm
ImageImage
Good day !
Yoko
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Yoko,I am glad you found the right place at last.... happy posting.. we will look at all your observations but so many nests are active already you are the only one for now to continue....post away. Good luck. :2thumbsup:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Ospreys in Hailuoto-Marjaniemi
Cam link http://kotinetti.suomi.net/saaksi/index.php

Mom sleeping (?) or almost, but in a rather protective pose.

Yoko

Post by Yoko »

macdoum wrote:Yoko,I am glad you found the right place at last.... happy posting.. we will look at all your observations but so many nests are active already you are the only one for now to continue....post away. Good luck. :2thumbsup:
Thanks you Macdoum ! Perhaps other new members will join me to post pictures ... I can hope ... :shake:
14 jully 9h10 am
Good day !
Yoko
ame

Post by ame »

i think this news is in an appropriate place here. last week there were articles in Finnish newspapers about
a new Finnish record of osprey's nest height: 74 meters. :D
i'll make a short summary of the article in Länsi-Uusimaa on Thursday July 12th. the record-high osprey nest is on top of a telephone antenna mast in Kvivlax, Nauvo, in the SW archipelago of Finland not far from Turku. (this is not the webcam-nest in Nauvo; that is on top of a seamark, but in Nauvo, too). Raimo Uusitalo has been observing the nest and he thinks there are two chicks in the nest. he was planning to climb the tower maybe already on Friday to ring the chicks before they are too mature to fly to flee the ringing.

the article tells that the world record height of an osprey nest is 90 meters. this height was reached by a pair of ospreys nesting in Tennessee, USA. this nest was later destroyed by a hurricane in 2010.
Yoko

Post by Yoko »

15 jully , 9h05 am
Hello everybody, hello ame!
There are three chicks this year 2012. In 2011, he also had three chicks. I look at this webcam from 2 years.
It's always the same pair of birds, Nemo and Kemo who comes to nest
Good day !
Yoko
Yoko

Post by Yoko »

9h 34 am
They eat fish
Good day !
Yoko
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I guess ospreys like to look down on things.
Katti

Post by Katti »

Nemo, in recent years, female, did not return this year.
This female has a new spouse Kemon, name is Helmi.

The babies names:
Leo is the oldest
second is Matts
and the youngest is Voitto.

© Voitto Pulkkinen
ame

Post by ame »

Osprey ringing news from SW Finland again. this time i'll summarize a short article from Saturday's issue of Turun Sanomat (July 14th).

The osprey chicks in the Finnish-record-high nest were successfully ringed on last Friday as was planned. the ringer Raimo Uusitalo tells that there were two 5-weeks-old chicks in the nest. "we had a professional climber with us, so that we managed to ring the chicks safely." says Raimo Uusitalo.

(this made me think that maybe he did not climb the telephone tower himself. it the previous news it was said that he has been watching ospreys since the '60ies. that would mean that he must about 60 years old, give or take a few years. a climb of 74 meters is not quite easy for a fellow of his age...)

Uusitalo tells further that the ringings of osprey chicks will be done during this week. "Finland has had a cool spring and summer a so the development of chick is a bit late, so that we can ring them still in the next week without the chicks flying away in front of us."
[i.e. this week]

Uusitalo estimates that they will find about 40-50 osprey chicks along the SW-coastal area. ospreys use same nests for decades which makes the work of ringers easy. about 90 % or ospreys live in nests on artificial platforms built by humans on pinetrees or spruces. "The population of ospreys is sligthly increasing due to favourable circumstances" Uusitalo concludes.

[two comments: i suppose the information of the timetable of the development of chicks and the population in this article concerns Southern/South-Western Finland, at least mainly. in the North like in Hailuoto the chicks are even smaller than in the South because summer comes to Norht even weeks later than to the Suoth of Finland.

second note: the Nauvo nest is an example of a nest site which has been used by ospreys for decades. originally birds built it by themselves. last autumn storms tore the nest down and during the winter a sturdy platform was built on the seamark by humans to make it easier for ospreys to settle there again.]
Yoko

Post by Yoko »

16 jully, 7h25 ap, Europe 19h25
I understood I think. Mother bird, name: Kemo, father bird: Helmi. The chicks are Leo, Matts, Voitto.

Good day !
Yoko
Manu

Post by Manu »

It's nice to see Leo, Matts and Viotto with their parents in the sunshine :loveshower:
ame

Post by ame »

Yoko wrote:16 jully, 7h25 ap, Europe 19h25
I understood I think. Mother bird, name: Kemo, father bird: Helmi. The chicks are Leo, Matts, Voitto.

i think the mother's name is Helmi. that is a female name in Finnish. it means Pearl in Finnish. :rolleyes:
that would mean that Kemo is the male (no special meaning for the name in Finnish). Leo is leo is lion and Matts is Swedish which in is Matti in Finnish and Mati in Estonian and i think they all originate in Matthias. Voitto means in Finnish victory so it's Victor. :laugh:
Sylvie Lefevre

Post by Sylvie Lefevre »

very interesting nest I watch from france
mattis : if it is the same name as matthew means in hebrew "gift of god"
they are three beautiful little ospreys :loveshower:
Birds are the link between human beings and God

Return to “Osprey”