DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Cherie

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Cherie »

Somebody told us, that there is the opportunity to make some donations for the project.
That's a great idea cause the project is worth to be supported.

Could anybody pls. be so kind to show the link for the account details?

Ty v much

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Cherie wrote:Somebody told us, that there is the opportunity to make some donations for the project.
That's a great idea cause the project is worth to be supported.

Could anybody pls. be so kind to show the link for the account details?

Ty v much

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Send a PM to forum-member:"felis silvestris" and she will give you the detail.
mireloom

Post by mireloom »

Sorry...I write again!

It's raining but they eat the same :innocent:
catweazle

Post by catweazle »

Cherie wrote: Could anybody pls. be so kind to show the link for the account details?
These pages were also called:

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/3058

http://www.kotkas.ee/eagle-club

I haven't tried it, but will do next payday :nod:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I love that drop of water falling from the beak.
pinkish

Post by pinkish »

maybe next time.. :unsure:
...goodnight poor little thing
granny48

Post by granny48 »

Lunan wrote: Thank you for the info! Wonderful to be able to help in a small way! Hope many more will do.
:D
I will, thank you for the link, Granny48
terbobun

Post by terbobun »

Thank you very much for the beautiful pictures. I watch the family. It is too bad there is no chat, but really I am not complaining. To watch these beautiful babies is wonderful. thank you.
maertha

Post by maertha »

@ Kukelke: Thank you for your pictures and the information about the feeding at 12:44. Very informative! :2thumbsup:
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Kukelke wrote:I noticed that every now and then the chicks move their head from side to side, a bit like owls tend to do. :dunno:

I know that owls do that in order to determine the distance to something they see, because owls have their eyes 'locked' in the sockets (their eyes can't move, hence they have to move their whole head), and also because owls often hunt and fly by hearing, and their facial disc helps them with that.

Could it be that our chicks make these owl-like side to side moves with their heads for the same reason, as if they try to determine the distance and maybe speed and such of the object they're looking at?

Hi Kukelke :wave:
I have seen that too, it reminds me a bit of Stevie Wonder :laugh:
I have found at a German page, that all birds need to move their heads for better hearing , beacuse they don't have external ears . Maybe the chicks explore this yet and move their heads a bit more than normally the adults do? :puzzled:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Galina

Post by Galina »

Hello!

Thank you for the great pics and videos! I have been on vacation and could not see the ringing, so I am very happy, that I can watch it here, yay :loveshower: .
The birdies are soooo big :shock: and I have noticed, that they got names meanwhile. I am curious what gender they got.
:wave:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Kukelke wrote:I noticed that every now and then the chicks move their head from side to side, a bit like owls tend to do. :dunno:

I know that owls do that in order to determine the distance to something they see, because owls have their eyes 'locked' in the sockets (their eyes can't move, hence they have to move their whole head), and also because owls often hunt and fly by hearing, and their facial disc helps them with that.

Could it be that our chicks make these owl-like side to side moves with their heads for the same reason, as if they try to determine the distance and maybe speed and such of the object they're looking at?
[img]...........[/img]
:hi: I have never heard this about determine distances by these movements, but it sounds reasonable -then thanks for this information.
But not only by Ospreys it is seen, also the WTEs and other raptors I know are seen doing these movements. At the danish raptor, Common Kestrel, it is very distinct to see amoung both adults and youngs
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

maertha wrote:@ Kukelke: Thank you for your pictures and the information about the feeding at 12:44. Very informative! :2thumbsup:
You're welcome :)

At first I thought that Nori had given up to receive food this round when he got up and pulled out, but Nori is maybe in the process of developing new tactics to get his share of the food?

I've witnessed something similar when watching a nest of 3 barn owlets, where the youngest was pushed about by his older siblings (without pecking btw), so he was hungry all the time while the other 2 were well-fed. After a couple of days he developed new tactics to get his share of the food... by lowering his head to the ground as if he was a vacuumcleaner, and then trying to sneak up from behind, get his head under the wings of his siblings who were eating, steal their prey, and then swallow it very fast before the sibling had time to react. (Is the owlet in my avatar btw)
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

When they put the rings on the chicks did they also specify the gender of the chicks? Does anybody know it?
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

I've found something interesting about hearing of birds
The ear evolved in fish as an organ of balance and it still performs this function today in both birds and mammals. The part of the ear that is the organ of balance consists of three semicircular canals situated in a part of the inner ear called the utriculus. These three canals lie one each in the three different planes of the material, i.e. one horizontal, one vertical and one sagittal. They contain a fluid and sensitive hairs. Movement of the head causes the fluid in the canals to move which energises or triggers the sensory hairs. The degree of movement of liquid in each canal combines to tell the bird exactly where its head is at any given moment in time. This is very similar to how the human sense of balance works. Naturally, for creatures who move in a fundamentally more fully three dimensional universe than we do a good sense of balance is very important.
http://www.earthlife.net/birds/hearing.html
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Lizitas

Post by Lizitas »

Cherie wrote:When they put the rings on the chicks did they also specify the gender of the chicks? Does anybody know it?
:hi: Cherie, we haven't got any information about this yet... :unsure:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

@ Birdie & b.h-p

Thanks for your information.
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

Birdie, that's very interesting, ty for that! :loveshower:

Ty for your answer Lizitas :wave:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Kukelke wrote: .......................
I've witnessed something similar when watching a nest of 3 barn owlets, where the youngest was pushed about by his older siblings (without pecking btw), so he was hungry all the time while the other 2 were well-fed. After a couple of days he developed new tactics to get his share of the food... by lowering his head to the ground as if he was a vacuumcleaner, and then trying to sneak up from behind, get his head under the wings of his siblings who were eating, steal their prey, and then swallow it very fast before the sibling had time to react. (Is the owlet in my avatar btw)
:hi:
For some years I was so lucky nearby my home to have the opportunity/luck to observe a WTE pair raising their youngs. During these years they 2 years in a row raised 3 chicks. And it was clear that these number 3 chicks each developed their own stategy how to get their share of the food. E.g. as very young one of them stood between the legs of the parent, very well protected, but then being too big for that he also had to find another method which turned out well.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

b.h-p wrote: :hi:
For some years I was so lucky nearby my home to have the opportunity/luck to observe a WTE pair raising their youngs. During these years they 2 years in a row raised 3 chicks. And it was clear that these number 3 chicks each developed their own stategy how to get their share of the food. E.g. as very young one of them stood between the legs of the parent, very well protected, but then being too big for that he also had to find another method which turned out well.
That's interesting, because I've seen the same behaviour (youngest chick between the legs of the female who was feeding the other 2, and every now and then the female would give that chick some bites too) twice in this nest of American ospreys. http://www.livestream.com/hellgateospre ... um=related

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”