NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

maertha

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by maertha »

Lizitas wrote:12:12 Are those Piret's tail feathers?
I think that´s a wing tip in your picture from 12:12, Lizitas.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

I noticed that every now and then the chicks move their head from side to side, a bit like owls tend to do. :dunno:

I know that owls do that in order to determine the distance to something they see, because owls have their eyes 'locked' in the sockets (their eyes can't move, hence they have to move their whole head), and also because owls often hunt and fly by hearing, and their facial disc helps them with that.

Could it be that our chicks make these owl-like side to side moves with their heads for the same reason, as if they try to determine the distance and maybe speed and such of the object they're looking at?

Btw, 13:40 - Piret on the nest again, busy with re-arranging twigs and branches. Lil' Nori is eager to help mum.

Lizitas

Post by Lizitas »

maertha wrote: I think that´s a wing tip in your picture from 12:12, Lizitas.
Thanks, maertha. Later I noticed that Piret's tailfeathers aren't that long. :puzzled:
But it looked funny anyway. :D
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

15:33 Piret is calling a few times (for Madis to bring fish?)
Nori is trying to keep the balance

Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:mrgreen:

Baby NORI does the nestwork

:wave:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

ALARM

where is the promised fish?

:shock:
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

16:14 Madis delivers fish :loveshower:
oups... too late for making a good screenshot :rolleyes:

Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Estigia

Post by Estigia »

16:55 - Madis and Piret arrived, Madis has a fish! He left and Piret grabs it, ready for feeding. Little NORI is the 1st lucky one :laugh:

Only a few bites for NORI: ELO and UNO approached to the fish. Piret begins to feed them.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

At 16:39 or so the feeding ended. No pictures from me this time as I was eating myself :D

But I observed the following:
Nori was again the first to position himself for the feeding, thus getting the first bites from Piret. Elo then moved next to Nori without being too agressive and tolerated Nori there. Piret then started to feed Elo, but every now and then she gave Nori too. Nori was still in the same place, but moved his neck and head further from Elo, only to move it fast towards Piret each time he was offered a bite, and retreat his head even faster. Elo then raised his head, a clear sign for Nori to back off. Nori retreated and Uno took his place, and got fed. When Elo and Uno were satisfied, Nori moved in again and got a few bites more, including bits of fish spoiled by the other 2 previously that session which Piret picked up and fed him.

----------------------

16:54 - Madis delivers a small fish. Nori gets a few bites again, but the other chicks want too. Nori is again very fast stretching his neck to the food, and retreating it even faster as soon as he gets something. The other 2 chicks don't seem too interested in food right now, so Nori gets his share.

17:00 - something attracts the attention of the chicks, they all look into the same direction, following with their heads (Nori also seems to have some down in his beak. His own or did he peck at someone?):

Piret observes it too, but doesn't look too bothered by it, and keeps feeding Uno. Nori still looks at what's happening in the air, just as Elo does on the other side of Piret:

17:12 - Uno is satisfied again, and Nori takes his place and gets food. Elo gets some bites too, but most is for Nori.

17:16 - Elo snatches the tailpiece (whis wasn't too big) and swallows it. Then Elo picks up some spoiled bits from the nest, and surprisingly Nori tries to 'steal' those from Elo's beak, three times in a row, but without succes. Nori then gives Elo a very dirty look, and Elo moves away... That's interesting, Nori growing some balls again, and developing new tactics. :mrgreen:
Unfortunately I was too slow to take a screenshot of this behaviour by Nori, but I assume others have seen it too.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

18.08 - Another delivery, more fish for our chicks. Nori getting fed first, while the wind suddenly picks up and Elo tests his wings.

Soon Elo joins the food queue too, and Piret feeds both Nori and Elo.

Nori decides to retreat before things get out of hand with Elo.

Piret ate some fish while it started to rain, and the chicks huddle together, making their 'chup chup chup' sounds. Piret then moves some branches around.

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

18:08 Fish! :loveshower: Looks like two fishes?? :puzzled:
18:11 very stormy!

Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:bounce:
and UNO tried to leave the nest ^^

meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:cry:

only a small piece of fish :slap:

and NORI again is moaning about this sugar rain :banghead:

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

18:22 My goodness! Piret moved a branch around the nest, from one side to another! Touches all three chicks ... why? :puzzled:

Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

18:30 - Pretty large fish arrived. Nori front row once more.

Nori knows fish liver is healthy because of all the vitamin D, and demands it all.

18:56 - Nori has eaten almost the whole fish (well done!), only the tailpiece is left, which Piret feeds to Uno, and every now and then she takes a bite herself.

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

18:30 Daddy brought a wet fish to his wet family :rotf:

Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Look at the very full crop of Nori, a lovely sight. :D

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

20:28 All three chicks head to head :loveshower: nice to see! :nod:

Does anybody notice that Uno has a bit different beak? For me it looks so :puzzled:
A bit smaller and sharper I think?
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”