DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Birdie

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Birdie »

Thank you Felis silvestris for sending me the information about the bank account from the

http://www.kotkas.ee/eagle-club

:2thumbsup:

Maybe someone else is interested in that? :wave:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
snApe1118

Post by snApe1118 »

maertha wrote:
Hello. Sorry, because of my poor English I´m not sure if I understood you question. First I thought you want to take the pictures and videos which were collected by the forum members and use the docu-material for your private purposes! :laugh:

But that would be pretty hard to imagine, so I´m quite sure I misinterpreted your message. Probably you wanted to know how you can take your own picutres and videos like those you have seen here. For this I recommend VLC Player. Think as a hobby-filmer you will know it. If not, please google the term. For technical instructions there´s a special part in this forum. You can post also all kind of technical questions there. Click here viewforum.php?f=3
My english is very bad - only school english I've learned many years ago but I hope anyone can understand me. :whistling:

Exactly I want to do that. I have only found the cam as a time Elo, Uno and Nori were already born. And I would like to create a video from the beginning, but I do not have enough pictures and videos and would have allowed to take which can be seen in the community.

Even as the record goes, I've read but I want to create from the videos and pictures (which already exist), a new video - as a documentary and I'm not even enough videos and pictures.

The video, which I have shown, it is the cat from a girlfriend (and my godfather cat << = is this the right word?). I have videos and pictures of her that she has been taken and which they created for a new video - the video you can see.

I always like to look on the live images in my spare time and just want to do anything wrong.
I just have the wish (desire) to create a video of this pair by the whole time - only because I like it.
Just like all my other videos I've ever created.
NancyM wrote:maertha, thank you for reminding me that I should have answered this question! And thank you for your reply to snApe1118 about how to make such a video

another part of the question: I think, if you make a video of this Osprey cam, the suggestion is to credit the osprey webcam page,

"If you post an image or video to websites or forums other than this one, you must include a link to the original Looduskalender webpage or camera from which the image was taken."

You can use either this link: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/13110 (English page)
or this one: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/taxonomy/term/50 (English page)

or the camera: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas.html

Thank you for giving me answers I hope I've understood correctly.

Can I use the existing videos and pictures of them to create a new video? I would put the link purely to here when it's done. It's nice to see those pictures and videos in a summary. Just a nice reminder.

And now I hope I've put everything right. English is not my first language. :blush:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Piret S0 and the father Madis

For this fantastic family: https://vimeo.com/47880398

My Vimeo Channel
click: Stephis Video

As long as humans thinks, that animals can not feel, animals must feel, that humans can not think.
Starling

Post by Starling »

Birdie wrote:Thank you Felis silvestris for sending me the information about the bank account from the

http://www.kotkas.ee/eagle-club

:2thumbsup:

Maybe someone else is interested in that? :wave:
Yes, please. You can send it here too! :wave:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

snApe1118 wrote: Thank you for giving me answers I hope I've understood correctly.

Can I use the existing videos and pictures of them to create a new video? I would put the link purely to here when it's done. It's nice to see those pictures and videos in a summary. Just a nice reminder.

And now I hope I've put everything right. English is not my first language. :blush:

The pictures and even videos truly belong to Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi, but to use videos that someone has made, you would have to ask them for their permission - for example, Macko, maertha, and others who post videos.

There is also the Pontu archive of pictures, where you can look for images. (change the date and time, there is one picture for each minute). Example: http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -20-20.jpg
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:banghead:
oh PIRET, let the Baby eat alone - it is hungry enough to manage that :rolleyes:

:bash:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

NancyM wrote:
The pictures and even videos truly belong to Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi, but to use videos that someone has made, you would have to ask them for their permission - for example, Macko, maertha, and others who post videos.

There is also the Pontu archive of pictures, where you can look for images. (change the date and time, there is one picture for each minute). Example: http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -20-20.jpg
I've not made any videos, but if snApe1118 or someone else wants to use my pictures here, then it's ok as far as I and my pictures are concerned. And as far as Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi agree with this ofcourse.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

NancyM wrote: :cry: Please do not pick on Elo! Piret whacked her over the head with that branch, she looked around and maybe thought Nori had done it (I was watching then). Human siblings can be harder on younger ones than that, but they are not evil.

"Elo" means "life"

edit: I tried Felis' suggestion for making an animation

Hi Nancy ^^
I LOVE your animation

:wave:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Kukelke wrote: I've not made any videos, but if snApe1118 or someone else wants to use my pictures here, then it's ok as far as I and my pictures are concerned. And as far as Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi agree with this ofcourse.

here everybody can read the rules about Copyright

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17

snApe1118

Post by snApe1118 »

NancyM wrote:

Woooow thats a great feature :loveshower:

But to ask everyone individually... :shock: that's difficult with my poor english knowledge. To keep the overview who created the video or picture I use. Image

Too bad :cry:
I would have liked to create a video. I'm sure it would have be really nice.
Kukelke wrote: I've not made any videos, but if snApe1118 or someone else wants to use my pictures here, then it's ok as far as I and my pictures are concerned. And as far as Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi agree with this ofcourse.
Thank you very much for your permission Image I have no personal videos from the nestconstruction and the eggs in the nest.

Perhaps there is still a possibility that I may make a video Image
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9

My Vimeo Channel

As long as humans thinks, that animals can not feel, animals must feel, that humans can not think.
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

snApe1118 wrote: Woooow thats a great feature :loveshower:

But to ask everyone individually... :shock: that's difficult with my poor english knowledge. To keep the overview who created the video or picture I use. Image

Too bad :cry:
I would have liked to create a video. I'm sure it would have be really nice.
Thank you very much for your permission Image I have no personal videos from the nestconstruction and the eggs in the nest.

Perhaps there is still a possibility that I may make a video Image
Hi snApe1118 :hi:
NancyM means, that you have to ask the members who made a video for their permission to use it. That are not so many, as I remember . Scroll back and you can see who has made a video.
All pictures belong to Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi, not especially to the members who copy and uploads the pictures from the cam here. So you don't have to ask each one for permission. And don`t forget to insert the web adress from Looduskalender to your video, so that all your viewers know where the pictures come from.
I'm sure we all want to look at your video

Dear Admins, please correct me if I'm wrong!
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
snApe1118

Post by snApe1118 »

Birdie wrote:
Hi snApe1118 :hi:
NancyM means, that you have to ask the members who made a video for their permission to use it. That are not so many, as I remember . Scroll back and you can see who has made a video.
All pictures belong to Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi, not especially to the members who copy and uploads the pictures from the cam here. So you don't have to ask each one for permission. And don`t forget to insert the web adress from Looduskalender to your video, so that all your viewers know where the pictures come from.
I'm sure we all want to look at your video

Dear Admins, please correct me if I'm wrong!
Hy Birdie :wave:

I think I know what NancyM means. But this thread has 190 pages and there pox once again (especially after I've read this last days) is really hard :slap: and takes longer as create the video.

A video only with pictures is kind of boring. Only the use of moving images makes it worth seeing.

I made the videos as a private video hobbyist and have no commercial reasons or business profit - I do it just for fun only. So that others can look at themselves.

And then the fear that I forget to ask someone in this community and made ​​a mistake... :unsure:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9

My Vimeo Channel

Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

:hi:

I'm probably not the first to realize this, but I've noticed that Piret sometimes strips the bark off the smaller branches in the nest , exposing the wood below, and sometimes the wood shows where the branch was broken.

I think the color of this exposed and/or stripped wood is the exact same color as the bronze coloration on the adults and the chicks. It matches in all light conditions and even in the rain. I know they have a limited spectrum that can be discerned, so I wonder if there's more to this coloration, maybe it's in their range or they see it another way, like some prey of other birds leave a scat trail that' only discerned by their predators.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, because I'm a writer and I do a lot of reseach before I begin, and also very curious about evolutional adaptation (if that's what this is) and so this matching colors amazes me. Maybe someone knows about this and/or could steer me to the right place to get more info.

Or is this not a discussion to have in this thread? I'm not sure now. If not, can anyone steer me to a good place to find out about the cloration.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

meierlein wrote:Hi Nancy ^^
I LOVE your animation

Thank you :blush:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

snApe1118 wrote: I think I know what NancyM means. But this thread has 190 pages and there pox once again (especially after I've read this last days) is really hard :slap: and takes longer as create the video.
<snip>
And then the fear that I forget to ask someone in this community and made ​​a mistake... :unsure:
There are only 3 or maybe 4 people who make videos of the osprey - when you choose a video that you want to use, just send a simple PM to the person who posted it. Your English is fine!
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

oliv wrote:My nest step is hara-kiri :rant: I have tryed all the day do a pic like the one I made in the morning, but don´t success. I have even change program to VLC. Here is pic for now: Big gift. A bird ?

:mrgreen:
wrong forum ^^
thats not an osprey :slap:

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

NancyM wrote: Thank you :blush:
Me too! Thanks a lot! :2thumbsup:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Wisteria wrote::hi:

I'm probably not the first to realize this, but I've noticed that Piret sometimes strips the bark off the smaller branches in the nest , exposing the wood below, and sometimes the wood shows where the branch was broken.

I think the color of this exposed and/or stripped wood is the exact same color as the bronze coloration on the adults and the chicks. It matches in all light conditions and even in the rain. I know they have a limited spectrum that can be discerned, so I wonder if there's more to this coloration, maybe it's in their range or they see it another way, like some prey of other birds leave a scat trail that' only discerned by their predators.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, because I'm a writer and I do a lot of reseach before I begin, and also very curious about evolutional adaptation (if that's what this is) and so this matching colors amazes me. Maybe someone knows about this and/or could steer me to the right place to get more info.

Or is this not a discussion to have in this thread? I'm not sure now. If not, can anyone steer me to a good place to find out about the cloration.
I could be wrong, but can the behaviour you describe maybe have something to do with camouflage, so the chicks and the nest are blurred into one 'unit' which would make it more difficult for predators to zoom in on 1 chick and grab it? Compare it to the stripes of zebras which have the same purpose; to blur out the individual and make it look like a part of a larger unit.

Or it could be because bark and mosses and lichens can contain certain antiseptics which help the ospreys to get rid of nasty bugs and fungi and such. To keep the nest clean and proper with other words. After all we like fresh sheets on our beds too, without any bedbugs, and I bet birds do too.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Wisteria wrote::
Wisteria, that is a very interesting observation! I have to confess that I have not seen Piret do this recently but osprey do use strips of bark to line their nests before they lay their eggs (and maybe after?).

I have no idea about the coloration issue - the osprey certainly are well camouflaged in the nest. However, another idea is that the greenery that some raptors bring to the nest have anti-parasite qualities and help in some way to keep the nest clean. Could the exposed wood, after the bark is peeled off, also act in this way?

The best reference I know of about Osprey is Alan F. Poole's book: Ospreys - a Natural and Unnatural History. For other raptors, you can look at the excellent data base that maertha has developed in this forum, for White-tailed eagles: viewforum.php?f=46

and an equally good data base that Felis developed for Lesser Spotted Eagles: viewforum.php?f=53

Edit: Kukelke beat me to posting! :2thumbsup:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Kukelke wrote: I could be wrong, but can the behaviour you describe maybe have something to do with camouflage, so the chicks and the nest are blurred into one 'unit' which would make it more difficult for predators to zoom in on 1 chick and grab it? Compare it to the stripes of zebras which have the same purpose; to blur out the individual and make it look like a part of a larger unit.

Or it could be because bark and mosses and lichens can contain certain antiseptics which help the ospreys to get rid of nasty bugs and fungi and such. To keep the nest clean and proper with other words. After all we like fresh sheets on our beds too, without any bedbugs, and I bet birds do too.

Thanks Kukelke :D

I think it is camouflage, because I also noticed that the bronze color of the chicks and the color of the wood are in almost exactly the same proportion. and maybe even the dark and light colors of the nest and the birds are in proportion too and distributed in a similar pattern? It seemed like it to me.

And the antiseptic of the nest material - that's new to me, I want to find out more. Time for Google!

I love these birds! :loveshower:

edit: thanks Nancy! for the info and the book reccomedation. :D
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Btw, something to look forward to:

Today the only surviving chick from the Dyfi Osprey Project in Wales (the one who was saved from starvation by human intervention after the worst summer storm in living memory) made his first solo flight at the age of 53 days, after he had been practising on the nest the last few days.

More info and videos about his flight here: http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/blog/2 ... ulan-flies

When you see him training on the nest, and needing all available space, imagine how our 3 chicks will be training in a week or two, three. They need a nest at least 3 sizes bigger than the current nest. :mrgreen:
And I love the way he 'lands' on the nest again, which looks rather like a controlled crash. :laugh:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”