Tõnn's Travels

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Bea

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by Bea »

Hope he has a safe flight through my country :nod:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:gathering: So,the wanderer Tõnn is on his way south again. Safe journey Tõnn. :shake:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

Ooops, he is back here again. :wave:
I wonder whether our ornithologists will be lucky to see him this time? :mrgreen:

May be he'll stay some time in the north because we will have some very hot days this week. 8-)
Starling

Post by Starling »

Back in Denmark. :shake:

Has anyone seen recent photos of Tönn (from this summer)?

I hope next year he´ll find a spouse for himself. :loveshower: Sweden probably isn´t the best place to find one. :puzzled: Maybe he should return to his home country. :D
Brit

Post by Brit »

Starling wrote:Maybe he should return to his home country. :D
Exactly, that's what I think all the time... but it's the same with all the youngsters,- they just do what they want! :bounce:
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Fee UK

Post by Fee UK »

Hello eagle people!

Here is a something I asked Urmas about. It looked like Tonn decided to turn north again when he saw the wind farms near Lubeck.
Urmas wrote: Turbines for sure affect migration, if the birds fly low (in bad weather conditions for example), but most of them (also single migrators) avoid wind parks, make longer flights and lose energy because of searching safe room (way).
The flight ways of tagged birds are not always direct between known locations, but we binded the known locations for to get better imagination of track...

Migration map is not automatically updating itself, but I need to make that, if time appears . Therefore prolongations in new data...
Many thanks for your answer Urmas - your guess of the track made an interesting story!

EDIT - as i can't quote twice... My original question to Urmas was about the eagle who turned back north. It appeared to be over a wind farm when you zoom in. Sorry, with the new rule about quotes, it's come out back to front.![/quote]
leonia

Post by leonia »

Hello Fee, hello Urmas,

may be the wind farm was an obstacle on Tönn's way, but at first I thought it might have been the heat of the last week that made Tönn go north again. We've had more than thirty degrees C nearly all over Germany.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

leonia wrote:Hello Fee, hello Urmas,

may be the wind farm was an obstacle on Tönn's way, but at first I thought it might have been the heat of the last week that made Tönn go north again. We've had more than thirty degrees C nearly all over Germany.
Today we are down to 20° :mrgreen: I don't know if the cooler temps will incite Tõnn to move south :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I am just a little worried that Tõnn hasn't moved for a long time... :puzzled: Well,five days now.
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Carmel, how often is the data transfer at this time of year? If it is every 5 days then the map will not be updated. I heard that Urmas is away for a couple of days, too.
asteria

Post by asteria »

macdoum wrote:I am just a little worried that Tõnn hasn't moved for a long time... :puzzled: Well,five days now.
So was I until I found out that the Estonian version of the map differs a bit from the English one. :wink:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
asteria

Post by asteria »

Now he moved a bit in Western direction.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Tõnn arrived in France.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn is early on his way to Spain this year (Birdmap data 23.09.2012).
About this time 2011 he was still in Denmark; and he passed Dijon - roughly where he is now - on October 21-22.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis wrote:Tõnn is early on his way to Spain this year (Birdmap data 23.09.2012).
About this time 2011 he was still in Denmark; and he passed Dijon - roughly where he is now - on October 21-22.
Thank you Liis,I am reassured now. If it wasn't raining torrents,I'd look outside to see him passing by. :rolleyes:
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn in Spain since Tuesday, October 2nd.

If he had travelled straight south on September 30, he could have collected Andorra to his list of countries visited.
All the other GSEs and LSEs seem to prefer an easterly route over Belarus and Ukraine.
asteria

Post by asteria »

He is so fast this year
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis wrote:Tõnn in Spain since Tuesday, October 2nd.

If he had travelled straight south on September 30, he could have collected Andorra to his list of countries visited.
All the other GSEs and LSEs seem to prefer an easterly route over Belarus and Ukraine.
Tõnn has always done his own 'thing'. :D I'm glad he has arrived safely in Spain and avoided all those forest fires and torrents of rain. :2thumbsup:
Thank you Liis.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

asteria wrote:He is so fast this year
Tõnn crossed the border even earlier in 2009, on September 26th.
And very late, on Nov 16th, in 2008 on his first migration journey.

He started off at the end of September from Estonia in 2008; day distances were shorter too than on later journeys.

(Dates may be +/- day - depends on how to interpret the map dates...)
Liis

Post by Liis »

Family business:
Tõnn arrived in his winter "home" El Hondo on October 5th (or 4th?)

Mother Iti started moving on Sept 25th.
Which way will sibling Tore go - west or east?

Return to “Migration Maps and News”