DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Wisteria

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Wisteria »

Nori is very sleepy this morning.
IKat

Post by IKat »

Would Nori's head and breast feathers be wet from the foggy damp air or did she try to fish.....perhaps she's trying....hope so.. :unsure:
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Wisteria wrote:Nori is very sleepy this morning.

:peek:

NORI should better sleep in her cosy nest-bowl :mrgreen:

:wave:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

IKat wrote:Would Nori's head and breast feathers be wet from the foggy damp air or did she try to fish.....perhaps she's trying....hope so.. :unsure:

:shock:

little NORI just learned to fly

:rolleyes:
Cara

Post by Cara »

Chesapeake wrote:I am very interested in all things related to ospreys. They are a neighborhood bird here, but of course without a webcam and someone to do it well, could never see what was going on in the nest. thanks again!

So I am curious about migration too... but I was hoping transmitter technology would have become more miniature. I will worry about Piret (as I needlessly did about Nori) until she returns. :unsure:

I understand so very good! I will worry about ALL of "our family", too Image
There's danger SO MUCH on their way..... in Africa maybe eaten by crocodiles. Danger can be also bad weather, power line collisions and shooters ..... many wild birds they are still killed for sport in countries such as the Mediterranean region, as they pass on their annual migration :-((((( :cry: ..... for young Ospreys mortality is very high with an estimated 50% of osprey chicks failing to reach breeding age.
..... a lot of dangers from environment pollution and intoxication (the "hunting-waters", too) ..... and more....

IF world would be a better world - means without the dangers of mankind's "doings" I would feel much better now for "our family"..... it's nature (instinctive behavior) that they migrate. They feel to must do this and so it's a good thing for them.....! IF world would be without mankind's dangers there only would left some "natural" dangers, what would be enough but THAT would be NATURE WILD LIFE only..... without mankind-made dangers!
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Cara

Post by Cara »

gjuselover wrote:Hey ! Where can I find the migrationmap?
Thanks for wonderful pics..I am not technical so wonder where this will come up..
Because of you I now can see that I had wrong about Noris lack of food..everytime I looked it seemed that her siblings got it all..her mother made something once, she ran away with the wings over her head ..sat so for five minutes ..but here I see that she was well fed.. although I havent read it all yet. And in the end..she is a fighter . Sometimes I felt so sorry about her that I didnt like the other two. shame on me.. Now I love them all (Nori most) and admire the parenting and the nature so wise. Dont know how much I shall follow this birds, it has been a happy end so far.

Oh sorry I am blind..now I have it saved the map...Fantastic !! :bow: :bow:

Nori is a real FIGHTER, you're right, absolutely ;-)
..... and she's (quoting Meierlein:) TRICKY (smart) Nori :nod:
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

They are all so beautiful. I actually was watching the Ospreys when they were wee little white puff balls before I found Stephi, Tuuli and Remo. I have gone back and forth between the LSE cams and the Ospreys ever since. :loveshower:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
IKat

Post by IKat »

meierlein wrote:
:shock:

little NORI just learned to fly

:rolleyes:
They must begin to "try" or they will never learn....it will be quite some time before Nori catches a fish (early as 74 days after hatching for some) but she should already be trying.....they do as soon as they fledge...

" After fledging, young ospreys begin to hunt on their own. However, they often continue to return to the nest to receive food from their parents for two to eight weeks after fledging. Because ospreys migrate individually, juvenile ospreys must be fully independent of their parents by the time the southward migration begins." (Poole, 1989; Poole, 1994)

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/s ... aetus.html
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Cara

Post by Cara »

NancyM wrote:618 Nori flies away (after moving a stick ♥)

Uno(?) still talking from up on the cam

..... somebody has a pic of Nori's stick moving?
:rolleyes: :-)
maroni

Post by maroni »

alice44 wrote:9:10

I watched Nori watching Uno eat, getting closer and closer and I saw her beak sneak down and I think she got a bite and the next thing I saw Nori had the whole fish and Uno had lost it.
poor Uno
lukris

Post by lukris »

Starling wrote: Uno without fish.
Nice picture :thumbs:
Dum spiro, spero
lukris

Post by lukris »

alice44 wrote:The cam froze with another delivery hovering over the nest.

Everybody is hungry according to the expressions in they eyes :gathering: :bow:
Dum spiro, spero
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Look at that beautiful face. :loveshower:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
pinkish

Post by pinkish »

NancyM wrote:Someone was sitting in a tree --- in the distance (I saw him (her) flutter her wings).

THEN ...

this sequence absolutely crack me up :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
look at the faces of Madis, Elo and Uno (!!!!) when they see Nori's coming :rotf:
...goodnight poor little thing
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Urmas wrote:Today about 10:00 Piret turned to migration and was 15:00 in eastern edge of Latvia. Probably she will reach Belarus still today.
Yesterday she visited nesting place between twice - 11:00 and 12:00, also around 14:00, but was not on nest observed. Though once there were three juveniles in nest and one Osprey upstairs as I noticed...
Thanks for the information Urmas.

Piret's task is done for this year. Well done! I'm still stunned by the dedication to their young by both Piret and Madis. What a fantastic pair of parents they are in every regard. To me the most moving moment was when Uno was just hatched and received his first meal. How Piret tore off those small morsels of fish with her sharp, hooked beak and ever so gently fed them to tiny wee Uno. That scene is forever etched in my memory.

Have a safe journey Piret, stay out of danger and return home safe and sound next spring in order to start a new circle of life.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

is someone working at the Migration Map ???

before minutes I saw PIRET already in Belarus
and now she is back to her nest???

in the German Version there is no PIRET to find :shock:

:bash:
nirtak

Post by nirtak »

meierlein wrote::peek:

is someone working at the Migration Map ???

before minutes I saw PIRET already in Belarus
and now she is back to her nest???

in the German Version there is no PIRET to find :shock:

:bash:
I think its work not correctly too :bash:
Pikka

Post by Pikka »

Poor UNO, not getting any fish today?
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Pikka wrote:Poor UNO, not getting any fish today?

he is old enough
to catch his own fish ^^ :mrgreen:

:wave:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Pikka wrote:Poor UNO, not getting any fish today?
"If you want to feed UNO for a day, give him a fish. If you want to end his hunger, teach him to fish." :razz:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”