Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

ame

Re: Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

Post by ame »

the doctor's blog is here: http://www.metsloom.ee/en/news/patientstest
you'll have to roll down a bit. it's on page 192: viewtopic.php?p=166584#p166584

Dadel: i think i've learned that it's a rule that they normally lay 2 eggs at an interval of about 5 days. then the first chick to hatch wil kill the younger, and that's a rule, period. i think we have been extremely lucky not having to watch that happen. it took place two (?) years ago, but i couldn't watch. :shock: :cry: if there are two chicks in an LSE nest there soon will be only one and that's it. :shock:

the second chick will not necessaryly be the weaker if the older is sick. otherwise the age difference is big enough.
Dadel

Post by Dadel »

For Maxi for paws :hi:
A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

ame wrote:the doctor's blog is here: http://www.metsloom.ee/en/news/patientstest
you'll have to roll down a bit. it's on page 192: viewtopic.php?p=166584#p166584

Dadel: i think i've learned that it's a rule that they normally lay 2 eggs at an interval of about 5 days. then the first chick to hatch wil kill the younger, and that's a rule, period. i think we have been extremely lucky not having to watch that happen. it took place two (?) years ago, but i couldn't watch. :shock: :cry: if there are two chicks in an LSE nest there soon will be only one and that's it. :shock:

the second chick will not necessaryly be the weaker if the older is sick. otherwise the age difference is big enough.
thank you so very much for finding this for me.. thank you...
asteria

Post by asteria »

ame wrote:the doctor's blog is here: http://www.metsloom.ee/en/news/patientstest

It looks like that the parents also couldn't watch. Remember the behaviour of Grieta: after 2008 she always ate one of the eggs and in 2009 even ate both!
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Ame, it took place in the Latvian nest this year too, Miks is the older chick! And - I didn't watch. With all that collecting and getting to know everything, when it came to it, I could not. I read all the articles etc. - but I could not.
And, I think I have to add, according to the IUCN Red List the Lesser Spotted Eagle hast the status "Least Concern", like also in many of the East European countries. In my home country Germany it is endangered and is protected and all kinds of things are done to increase population again. That's why sometimes my attitude is a bit different.

Edit: Now I found the article in Looduskalender I looked for: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/13644 Lots of facts and interesting things about them!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Bea

Post by Bea »

August, 18th

Good morning :hi:

A little visitor on the nest at 10:31, I think it was a Crested Tit (Lophophanes cristatus) - in German "Haubenmeise"

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
asteria

Post by asteria »

These tits seldom appear in our forest bird-feeders, but they are very shy. It nuthatches, great, blue and willow tits sometimes eat from hands, coal, long-tailed and crested tits never do that.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Wil Muller

Post by Wil Muller »

Thank you for this information. This is my first year for birdwatching on the internet, so I have so much to learn. Now I am prepared what can happen next year.
"Until it will show compassion for all living creatures, the man himself will not find peace" - Albert Schweitzer
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Felt the same last year, the nest was empty and I tried to find a way to keep busy until next year and maybe get to know a bit more about those birds. Result was viewforum.php?f=53 - maybe you find some interesting things to read on and keep busy until next April?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Wil Muller

Post by Wil Muller »

Felis silvestris wrote:Felt the same last year, the nest was empty and I tried to find a way to keep busy until next year and maybe get to know a bit more about those birds. Result was viewforum.php?f=53 - maybe you find some interesting things to read on and keep busy until next April?
Thank you for the link. I will certainly read it and there are so many more databases so I get it busy. :slap:
"Until it will show compassion for all living creatures, the man himself will not find peace" - Albert Schweitzer
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

asteria wrote:These tits seldom appear in our forest bird-feeders, but they are very shy. It nuthatches, great, blue and willow tits sometimes eat from hands, coal, long-tailed and crested tits never do that.
Not on mine either, although we often see them in the forest.
I have often thought it would have been nice to see them on the feeder though..
My bird guide says that they are very territorial birds, and that they normally are trusting of humans. They eat spiders and insects in the summer, and seeds from spruce and pine in the winter.

Great pictures of them and of Tuuli and Remo :wave:
wildflowers

Post by wildflowers »

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I was a Stephi nest watcher since she was an egg but never posted. My heart was broken when the tragedy happened right as I was watching the nest.
I wanted to thank those who submitted the pics of Tuuli and Remo's return to the nest yesterday. That made me so happy to see them together again and all indications are that they are planning to be back next spring.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Welcome wildflowers. About next season, all we can do is to hope that they nest where there is a camera, and the nesting is successful.

But it is so exciting to watch them, to recognise how much of their behaviour is like our own in some respects. It gets easier to understand their bahaviour, each season.
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

does anyone know if Stephi's cam is shut off for the rest of the year as its off line.. I hope that we get alit more time,but do understand if it is off now for the rest of the year... :bash:
Dadel

Post by Dadel »

Welkom wilde bloemen. What a nice name. :D :wave:
Dadel

Post by Dadel »

The cam does,t work. :bash:
ame

Post by ame »

the camera was working some time ago, about half an hour ago when i opened it. it was raining rather hard and it looked like it had been already raining for quite some time. the forest looked very wet and the air very humid. it looked actually like a mystery magic forest... :rolleyes:

then a little later, maybe 10 - 15 minutes after that the camera stopped...
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

the a has been off all day. I hope that we might get to see the nest again befor its off for the year. does anyone know if it will come back on? :bash:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Maxie4Paws wrote:the a has been off all day. I hope that we might get to see the nest again befor its off for the year. does anyone know if it will come back on? :bash:
I don't think we know -- the batteries tend to get weak at the end of summer especially when it is grey and rainy. Eventually this cam will probably be serviced and returned to duty as one of the winter cams -- but it may come back to life here first.
ame

Post by ame »

the camera is on but there isn't much to see nor to hear, just the wind hissing in the trees...

- but then a black woodpecker called a few times. :rolleyes:

hmm... it seems that i managed to capture only one call (and the end-beep of another; there were at least three calls) :slap:

i think that Alice is right: the battery is getting weak by the end of summer and the solar panels can't recharge it properly. that's why it takes some time after sunrise before there's enough power for the camera to switch on. i tried today maybe half an hour ago and the camera was still off. i think that yesterday it was too dark even in the daytime because of the rainy cloudy weather so that the battery died already in the afternoon well before 5 pm.

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”