Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
juta
Site Admin

Tõnn's Travels

Post by juta »

New article on LK.
Tõnn in Spain!
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/2046
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
vaino

Post by vaino »

juta wrote:New article on LK.
Tõnn in Spain!
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/2046
Tõnn is quite a traveller - criss crossing the whole Spain ! Article says that his last location is not very good or safe for him. I wonder if he is going to fly to North Africa? Where are the usual wintering grounds for greater spotted eagles ?
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

vaino wrote:Tõnn is quite a traveller - criss crossing the whole Spain ! Article says that his last location is not very good or safe for him. I wonder if he is going to fly to North Africa? Where are the usual wintering grounds for greater spotted eagles ?
Can't say that there in Spain,Torre Pacheco region is unsafe place, simply too few natural habitats are visible. Plantations in rows, greenhouses, no forest, only few bushes, etc. But if there is enough prey to catch, then its OK for Tõnn.
By our former knowledge mostly the Estonian GSEs winter in Poland or on Balkans, Tõnn is first in western Europe. This species is too rare for to make any decisions by available few data... More data is about Polish GSEs - they use mostly eastern migration route, like our storks do. And one juvenile is found perished in France last year.
In France there is known during last decade wintering about 3 GSEs per year only!! And some in Spain...
A ornithologist from France, Haute-Marne region asked some data to write about Tõnn in their region in local ornithological journal - Tõnn seems to be important "person" for them...
vaino

Post by vaino »

kotkaklubi wrote: Can't say that there in Spain,Torre Pacheco region is unsafe place, simply too few natural habitats are visible. Plantations in rows, greenhouses, no forest, only few bushes, etc. But if there is enough prey to catch, then its OK for Tõnn.
By our former knowledge mostly the Estonian GSEs winter in Poland or on Balkans, Tõnn is first in western Europe. This species is too rare for to make any decisions by available few data... More data is about Polish GSEs - they use mostly eastern migration route, like our storks do. And one juvenile is found perished in France last year.
In France there is known during last decade wintering about 3 GSEs per year only!! And some in Spain...
A ornithologist from France, Haute-Marne region asked some data to write about Tõnn in their region in local ornithological journal - Tõnn seems to be important "person" for them...
Thank you for this interesting information! I expected Tõnn to take an eastern route, the way the black storks go. He must be in a good shape and wants to travel. Hope he finds enough of
food in that agricultural area in Spain!
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

News about Tõnn, new article in LK in Estonian, here follows the translation:
Tõnn looking for winter lodgings
Posted by Kotkaklubi - 9 December 2008 - 11:33am
Text: Urmas Sellis

The weather in the Murcia province was cloudy and even rainy at the end of November, so Tõnn stayed for a week near Torre Pacheco. On December 6, the weather obviously improved and Tõnn set about finding better winter lodgings. Since he only has his instinct to go by for that, he will probably spend some time searching. But then Tõnn is in no hurry, he will not be settling down to nesting for at least two or three years yet.
All in all, Tõnn now flew to the north and northeast – the dry farming lands were obviously not quite to his liking. Yesterday, December 8, at midday Tõnn flew between the Aitana mountains and the Costa Brava coast. At 11 o’clock he was just at the foot of the Puig Campana peak.

The Puig Campana chalk rock (1,4 km high) is a nice climb for mountaineers

And from the peak magnificent views open, for instance of the city of Benidorm on the coast and the forests and orange plantations at the foot of the mountain:

Tõnn passed across here on 8. december a.m.

Tõnns further route will be clear after the next 10 days. What we know up to now can be seen in the map below from Google Maps:

Translated by Kaija Eistrat
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/

It looks, from those wonderful pictures, as though Tonn has chosen his winter quarters well. He seems to be at a warehouse!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Jo UK wrote:http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/

It looks, from those wonderful pictures, as though Tonn has chosen his winter quarters well. He seems to be at a warehouse!
Not having a Estonian keyboard, you could type T6nn - thats very similar to Tõnn!

Yes, Tõnns last location is above some factory or something like that, why not a greenhouse or warehouse... I don't know. But Tõnns location is 200m above the ground!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thanks for the T6nn tip!
I think I chose to say warehouse because of the type of vehicle parked there. But, of course, I don't know.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

kotkaklubi wrote:Not having a Estonian keyboard, you could type T6nn - thats very similar to Tõnn!
... or use your mouse to select the õ, then copy-and-paste it into the name :mrgreen:
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

... or simply add estonian keyboard (Start>My Computer>Regional and Language Options>Languages>Details>Estonian. You'll have a Language icon on your taskbar, from where you can easily switch between your original keyboard layout and estonian one when typing. :wave:

Estonian keyboard layout is here (there are missing some foreigen characters, which are typed using AltGr key, but you'll hardly need them):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I had hopes of being able to find an Estonian keyboard layout on this computer. Sadly. my options are between US English and British English! Thanks for the suggestion, Arvi. Dell computers are not co-operating.
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

Producer doesn't affect which languages you can select - Operation System does!
Which OS do you have on your comp?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Windows XP Home

Maybe I could download another language from Microsoft

Hey, You are right Arvi.
I looked in languages, and it is in Regional
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

Regional Options is a wrong choice for you. You set number, currency, date, and time formats there.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf, Arvi. Language offers me, as before, English or English!
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

OK! Let's try it last time - here is a point where new language is selected.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

On your screen shot, Arvi, you can choose between US English and Estonian. (Why no British English?)
In that same window I can choose US English or British English.
So I went to dig out the character map - unless I go to Estonia to buy a PC, it will be easier to use that!
thanks for trying so hard. My PC doesn't co-operate with you.

Now, which of these do I use for Tonn?
õ ó ö

I see bociany has already posted it õ

thanks for your help :nod:
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

Jo UK wrote:On your screen shot, Arvi, you can choose between US English and Estonian. (Why no British English?)
In that same window I can choose US English or British English.
No! I have set US English and Estonian as input languages (The bold one is default one, and default language is selected from combo above activated languages list. There you can select only from active languages - I guess it is where you tried to select language). Now I can switch between them from my desktop toolbar (in language icon is displayed EN or ET - depending which of them is active).

New languages are added in "Add Input Language" dialog window (the righmost one, activated from Add button - follow painted arrow). When you look at my last image file, then I can there select any language from this long dropdown list, then I can add 4th one, etc.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

So, when you see my posts in proper format, you will know I have succeeded!

When I was in Estonia, I used Juta's keyboard to send e-mail - it took me a while to find which keys were there!
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

:D I did it - I did it!!! :D

Haven't tried it yet - but I will after dinner!! :D
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!

Return to “Migration Maps and News”