Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Manu

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by Manu »

It's nice to see the squirrels visited your feeder from time to time.
Nanu and Nappu are so cute, I love them...
Bea

Post by Bea »

Olga, Nanu looks so wise and well-balanced :nod:

But he looks at you as if he asking if you can´t turn a switch on Nappu to stop her talking :mrgreen:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Bea wrote:Olga, Nanu looks so wise and well-balanced :nod:

But he looks at you as if he asking if you can´t turn a switch on Nappu to stop her talking :mrgreen:
And bouncing -- he looks like he thinks she is altogether too bouncy.

(given a chance I would steal Nappu -- she is so adorable)
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave:
One week has gone, and no squirrels have been seen.. :unsure: :puzzled: There are lots of everything for them to eat in the forest for sure.

It's evening in the garden:

Last year there were only some 5-6 apples on this tree, but this year it is all different:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Nappu and Nanu and my other apple tree. It is just a decorative tree, and it is like an umbrella, an arbor (right word?)

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

They are posing for you! :loveshower:
So many apples! We had such an apple year last year! People did not know what to do with them and you got them offered from all sides! Are they for normal eating or are you using them for cooking? Baking cake? I remember in my parents garden was an apple tree and the first time it had apples at all it had 5 apples!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis!

Apple jelly for winter, cooked and flavored with pure lemon juice and sugar. Soon ready to be stored in freezer.
3,5 kg! ( glass jars would be more beautiful, but it's easier to store the jam this way..)

The name of this light green yellowish summer apple is 'Valkea kuulas' ('white clear'- says google translator, but it does not describe the picturesque word 'kuulas'.. kuulas is something pure, fresh, light and bright, a bit cold and a bit transparent - all this at same time.

E g a day, the weather of a day can also be said to be 'kuulas', like those sunny mornings in late summer in Northern countries when grass is still green, but there is a lot of dew, or the most beautiful days of fall when the sky is bright blue and and the clouds are few and very high and the leaves of birches are turning yellow, those days are kuulas too.

Malus domestica in Latin. It is an apple species, that originates from the Baltic countries, I think from Estonia, about in the years 1800! :D It is one of the most loved and popular summer apple species here. These apple do not suffer 'appleworms' or other illnesses, - perhaps something sometimes, but they are rare, never bad. They need to be eaten as soon as they are rape and fresh, or to be made jam.

:laugh: What a long story.. but, there it is.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Nice to hear from Squirrel Hill, and beautiful photos of Nanu and Nappu. It seems to be a lot of apples on your tree, it must have been a perfect summer for them.
They looks similar to the apples that we call "Glassepler" ( glassapples), or Transparente Blanche (Google) They are mostly grown in private gardens here, my husbands parents garden included.
Your apple yelly looks delicious, it will taste good in the winter.. :thumbs:

Thank you, Olga :wave:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Your apples look quite like my "Transparents" which Liis said originate from Estonia. I finished reading your post and our apples are related :shake: This was a big apple year for my tree too -- my parents can applesauce -- many glass pints this year -- and I make apple pie ;-)

They do not ship or travel well but they make wonderful apple sauce and apple sauce cake. I think because they don't travel well they are becoming more and more uncommon here.

And Nanu looks so handsome lounging on the stonewall.
Manu

Post by Manu »

:hi: Olga,
it's nice to here the news from Squirrel Hill...
Wow so much apples... Great...
And Nanu and Nappu look so cute as always :laugh: .
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have looked it up, Olga, your 'Valkea kuulas' is the same apple my parents had in their garden. In Germany it is "Klarapfel", which also means "clear" apple ... so all the same. And - not so good for eating, but good for making cakes, applesauce or juice. :thumbs:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Olga

Post by Olga »

:thumbs: Felis, yes, "Klarapfel"! I do understand the word, it has to be the same specie!

I was about to take a photo when my apple pie was ready. I left it on the table to cool down. But when I came in there was only one piece left :rotf:

A Finnish favorite snack, warm apple pie and cold milk
Made of an egg, butter, sugar, apple jam, 5 apples, oat flakes, wheat flour + roasted oats, cinnamon and some sugar

BTW, I saw a squirrel visiting the feeder. Oh no, the feeder was empty for that moment (Blue tits and Great tits eat all what I put there in five minutes! It was probably Charley. He did not return.. :unsure: Well, our tile roof has been checked, each tile has been turned around and back, one by one during summer. That is the reason they do not come normally?? They did not dare. I don't believe they are starving.. :D
Bea

Post by Bea »

Olga - you were lucky that there was even ONE piece left at all - your cake looks absolutely delicious Image
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

During summer we also don't see squirrels very often. They are busy and hidden in the leaves. I heard from Leonia her squirrel restaurant is frequented by a squirrel now. He learnt how to open and get the nuts out. :mrgreen:

Your cake looks delicious, no wonder it got legs ... :rotf:

Manu

Post by Manu »

Olga wrote: But when I came in there was only one piece left :rotf:
The cake looks very delicious, you are a lucky one that one piece was left....

Nice one squirrel was on the feeder.
And Olga winter-time will come faster than we know :laugh: .
Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote:During summer we also don't see squirrels very often. They are busy and hidden in the leaves. I heard from Leonia her squirrel restaurant is frequented by a squirrel now. He learnt how to open and get the nuts out. :mrgreen:

Your cake looks delicious, no wonder it got legs ... :rotf:
Nice to hear! I have made one such feeder for squirrels, too. But the nut box is transparent all around, and that is why birds try and try to knock the plastic walls. I have to do something for the problem, perhaps to add a cover on three sides of the feeder. I do not want 'abandon' birds, of course not. Birds will have a long and high, curved tree (hazel) branch in the midst of the yard. :puzzled: Hm.. I guess that squirrels will try to eat there too - well, it will be alright. We will see later.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:loveshower:

One of the Squirrel hill residents is back!

Mops! It's Mops for sure.
Olga

Post by Olga »

I have put new hazel branches for squirrels:

I think Mops was looking very good, especially her tail was beautiful and furry.

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga,there is no end to all the access routes you put up for the squirrrels comfort....and they are so happy they come back year after year. They feel so safe on Squirrel Hill so they are happy and well fed. :2thumbsup: :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Charley was seen today!

Macdoum, yes, I just wish all familiar squirrels well be back again.

Today when we returned from the stores with Nappu we saw Charley standing on the other side of the house. He had a green leaf on his paws. He put the leaf in his mouth, and we saw that there was a hazel nut, too, at the end a tiny hazel stick he had picked. He jumped and climbed up the old birch and to then he jumped on the roof. :D Of course I didn't have camera with me.

It's raining a lot, and it is dark already at 20:00. It's almost fall. A Blue tit is knocking a sun flower seed at the feeder.

Return to “Seasons”