Black Stork nest in Portugal

Ciconia nigra cams and information
Olga

Re: Black Stork nest in Portugal

Post by Olga »

Good morning! :wave: I didn't see the BS in Portugal this morning. But it has been there. It left before the cam went off, "Volto já - Be Back Soon".

garina do mar, hi! I know the way people may speculate all kind of matters around the Black Storks. I love the imaginations people have.. and there are behind that 'speculations' the old storie's 'logic'. It has a connection to the mythes and legends. Despsite of the 'funny' way of speculations, there is something real in it at same time! The old time's people had different relation to the phenomenes of nature. We have lost it, but not wholly, as I saw last summer while watching the Estonian storks. 'New' legends were emerging: In the Midsommer night the Santa Fisherman climbs on the nest to read stories to the chicks! And he gives fresh fish to chicks!..I saw it!! :rotf:

It is nice to read that the watchers there watched also our Estonian pigs last night!!

the addres to BS cam

http://static.publico.clix.pt/grifosnaweb/#begin
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

renandeli wrote:garina do mar said: Oh, what wonderful! Let's wait what happens before the next full moon!! 8-)
:wave: Renandeli
You SAW them together either! It's on the video I sent you :D
The problem with these speculations is that they are from people that know nothing about and don't even have empiric knowledge. They saw sometinhg once ant think that is like that all the time.
Concerning full moon, may I remind you that Donna and Padis "met" before the new moon and the first egg was laid before the 1st quarter? :whistling:
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

garina do mar wrote: :wave: Renandeli
You SAW them together either! It's on the video I sent you :D
The problem with these speculations is that they are from people that know nothing about and don't even have empiric knowledge. They saw sometinhg once ant think that is like that all the time.
Concerning full moon, may I remind you that Donna and Padis "met" before the new moon and the first egg was laid before the 1st quarter? :whistling:
Oh! It was the video from the 24th of February! I was thinking that some one had seen (!) them last at 24:00 o'clock! :slap: And you had some inside knowledge! (of course I wondered how an earth they could be seen in a black night on those most dangerous rocks! )

Some people, yes, tell their 'fancy stories' en serious, but as false they are, their stories and speculations encourage other people to think and study the reality always more and more exactly. :2thumbsup:
Olga

Post by Olga »

I found information on Black Storks in Portugal from 2006. The breeding population of Black Stork
Ciconia nigra in the Iberian Peninsula. Distribution of confirmed pairs of Black Stork (dots in 10x10km square UTM grid) and range (darker), with administrative limits as background.
http://www.ucm.es/info/zoo/bcv/pdf/2006_Biota_7_15.pdf
BS_Iberia_2006.JPG
BS_2009-02-27_20-17.JPG
map.jpg_griffon_vulture_BS_cam.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Some links about BS in Portugal. Unfortunetly they are all in Portuguese except the first one that has parts in English

From a project included within the Business & Biodiversity european iniciative, which is financed by the Portuguese Electrical Power company EDP
http://www.rupicolas.com/portal/EN/6/default.aspx

Follow up of some storks that were "chiped":
http://seguimentodeaves.domdigital.pt/c ... /cegonhas/

From the Portuguese Institute for Nature & Biodiversity Conservation
http://portal.icnb.pt/ICNPortal/vPT2007 ... s=1280x800
http://www.icn.pt/psrn2000/caracterizac ... 0nigra.pdf (File from Nature 2000 network)

From the Portuguese association of birds "ringers"
http://www.apaa.pt/doc/apresentacao14.pdf
(in page 29 we can see the nest actually shown, some years ago)

General information
http://www.naturlink.pt/canais/Artigo.a ... &iLingua=1
http://www.avesdeportugal.info/cicnig.html
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

Great links, garina do mar, informative, super pictures.. thanks. The google translator is not so bad when the language is 'document-language' and not individually spoken Portuguese. :wave:

One google translation from Portuguess: In Portugal there are about 100 couples, a very small number of individuals. The species has the status of Critically Vulnerable and not in Danger [Red Book of Vertebrates in Portugal (Almeida et al (2005)] by the possibility of immigration from neighboring regions.
it is from here:

http://portal.icnb.pt/ICNPortal/vPT2007 ... s=1280x800

Beautiful photos of Black Storks and their nests in different environments, local ornithologists at work.. here:
From the Portuguese association of birds "ringers"
http://www.apaa.pt/doc/apresentacao14.pdf
(in page 29 we can see the nest actually shown, some years ago)

Let's hope that the Portuguese Black Stoks will have chicks.. The BS-cam needs an own Topic - but maybe we have to wait yet.. :thumbs:
BS_nest_the_on_the_clip_of_rock.JPG
BS_researchers_Portugal.JPG
scientific_BS_research_Portugal.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

It would help a lot if the original posters could re-post their pictures to these posts. Unfortunately they are attached in the other forum!
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Jo UK wrote:It would help a lot if the original posters could re-post their pictures to these posts. Unfortunately they are attached in the other forum!
Yes :loveshower:
I allready put some.
Be Natural
Olga

Post by Olga »

OK, Jo! I will do it, later today! :wave:

edit: Now I have put my attachments here. Attencion! :wave: I noticed that garina do mar has put some new pictures in the beginning on the first page!
viewtopic.php?p=19390#p19390
garina do mar said:
The BS was going to their nest from last year but it is occupied by a griffon vulture couple. So now they went for their former nest and we are waiting

Photos by garina do mar:
- The 2 nests: last year on the left (with BS) and this year nest on the right
- Last year nest with "baby" BS
- Portas de Ródão, a natural monument on Tagus river, the place where the nests are (the photos were taken on the 28th July 2008)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thanks, girls - er - esteemed members! :bow:
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

"Marine" storks in Portugal
In the Portuguese SowthWest Coast, in a place called Cabo Sardão, there are a group of storks that come every year and make the nest on the rocks. This couple is one of the first ones (I saw there another one, I'll try to post their pictures tomorrow). The pictures were taken on the 7th February this year :headroll:
Be Natural
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

News from Portuguese Blackstorkes
Although there is no image on the site :cry: , FCCN, the entity who has the image is receiving it. We hope that everything will be repaired tomorrow morning. And they promised to make some videos on the important events :shake: . As soon as they are online I will tell you.

And by the way one of the BS spent some hours picking woods for the nest and arranging them around and, in the end of the afternoon, the 2 BS arrived to the nest and were in "mating dances" but "nothing" happened. :whistling:
They both stayed on the nest. Lets see tomorrow
:peek:
Be Natural
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Thank you for the update Garina do mar! I so hope to see there successful black storks´ nest!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

garina do mar wrote:News from Portuguese Blackstorkes
Although there is no image on the site :cry: , FCCN, the entity who has the image is receiving it. We hope that everything will be repaired tomorrow morning. And they promised to make some videos on the important events :shake: . As soon as they are online I will tell you.

And by the way one of the BS spent some hours picking woods for the nest and arranging them around and, in the end of the afternoon, the 2 BS arrived to the nest and were in "mating dances" but "nothing" happened.
They both stayed on the nest. Lets see tomorrow
:peek:
Thank you very much for the great news! I have wathced almost the whole day the 'black' web cam! :rotf: I was waiting, waiting.. :slap:
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Memories from the last summer in Estonia... Soon will be Donna back! :bounce
vlcsnap-34557.jpg
vlcsnap-398701.jpg
vlcsnap-43588.jpg
Proud to be a member of SHoW
Olga

Post by Olga »

Thank you, Mutikluti.. :rolleyes: 25-27 days and..it begins, the new season and a new life in Estonia too.. :bow:
BTW Portuguese BS_vulture cam is open, and there is a BS contructing nest! I see new branches on the nest and a black head, it is at work!!

edit: The Black Stork flew away at 11.05!

http://static.publico.clix.pt/grifosnaweb/#begin
firefox 2009-03-02 11-05-28-04.jpg
firefox 2009-03-02 11-18-20-67.jpg
lynx.pardallus

Post by lynx.pardallus »

Hello :wave:

The black stork building the nest, this morning :loveshower:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, these are the best pics I got today. I saw one Black Stork. She was active and was building the nest, moving branches, cleaned feathers, behaved calm, rested. The cam was black every now and then together for some hours. At 20.55 (at 18:55 in Portugal) it walked to the nest behind the corner. I don't know if someone has seen an other BS there.The times in Portugal were pic 1) 9:51 & 10:14 and pic 2) 12:45 & 18:29 and pic 3) 18:55 8-)
1_Portugal_2.3_2009.JPG
2_Portugal_2.3_2009_.JPG
:sleeping: There is the Black Stork sleeping. You can see her tail to the right below
firefox 2009-03-02 20-55-38-90.jpg
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

renandeli wrote:Hi, these are the best pics I got today. I saw one Black Stork. She was active and was building the nest, moving branches, cleaned feathers, behaved calm, rested. The cam was black every now and then together for some hours. At 20.55 it walked to the nest behind the corner. I don't know if someone has seen an other BS there.
1_Portugal_2.3_2009.JPG
2_Portugal_2.3_2009_.JPG
:sleeping: There is the Black Stork sleeping. You can see her tail to the right below
firefox 2009-03-02 20-55-38-90.jpg
Hi Renandeli :wave:
Good overview. It seems that the other BS didn't appear. Or there were both but never meeting each other :rotf:
Could you please refer the time zone you're using? Other wise it will be rather confusing if everybody says different times meaning the same :whistling:
Be Natural
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

garina do mar wrote: Hi Renandeli :wave:
Good overview. It seems that the other BS didn't appear. Or there were both but never meeting each other :rotf:
Could you please refer the time zone you're using? Other wise it will be rather confusing if everybody says different times meaning the same :whistling:
Haha - I wondered what time is sunset in Portugal!

Return to “Black Storks”