Migration Map

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Kordian

Re: Migration Map

Post by Kordian »

Why in a hide? Why in tree tops?
You can find an open place even 1 km away from the nest forest and have wonderful time watching the birds and reading the rings through telescopes, binoculars or camera lens. In the evening pack everything into the car, drive some 10 km to the nearest hotel/motel/sleeping place (Urmas will organise this), go to sleep, wake up before the dawn, drive back and enjoy another beautiful day with black storks in Estonia.
What do you say, Urmas, 2 weeks of such vacation will do? :D
Let us know the dates. :D
Regards
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Good idea, Kordian!
Alone would be too much for two weeks, but depends of what you need to rest...
In Estonia we have some few BS nest sites where in 1km open field for observations is available.
Problem could be that really right time for best observations is limited, mid April-mid May, but this period could be not very nice weather - you have to be ready for some snow as well (telescope is bad to handle in snowfall).

Nowadays these personal observation events seem a bit too individualistic, everybody wants to take part (virtually) and then you can't feel resting of everyday. That's the result of wide using the webcams...
And from other side, are you sure if some hidden camera is not watching you? In the hide or in tree top would be safer, maybe...
Manu

Post by Manu »

Urmas wrote:From Erika we got some messages, showing the battery quite empty. Therefore no GPS fixes, but the location on map is of Argos (means not exact). Activity sensor indicates moving.
Could be that transmitter will lost ability to charge well battery. But that is quite normal after sixth year everyday work.

One good news - we found in phototrap (trail camera) installed on some Black Stork nests, that Valdur is not dead in Israel (last positions from 13 of March 2012), but at least arrived to homeland to breed and visited the nest with automatic camera. Previously we did not find him in that nest since 2008. So most probably Valdur is now wintering in Ethiopia, but we are not able to see that!
Urmas: Thank you for telling us this good news
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Please will members take the time to read this announcement.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=539
Eden

Post by Eden »

We received no new data since 10.1.
Is there any reason?
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Eden wrote:We received no new data since 10.1.
Is there any reason?

:peek:

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/index.php?la ... Freq=multi

notice message 26.11.2012

:wave:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I get very confused with the way dates are written - they are usually opposite to the way I write them in the US. Is it possible to use the name of the month rather than a number :help:
Eden wrote:We received no new data since 10.1.
I interpret at January 10 (although in the US it would mean October 1)
meierlein wrote:notice message 26.11.2012
means November 26, 2012

so ... the January 10 message is fairly new.
and the older message from November talks about why we do not get data regularly during the winter months
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

For us here in Estonia and probably in Europe the US style of writing of date has caused also several problems, like by installing the automatic camera if produced in US...
The delay of data is partly caused also by my laziness, not always the next data receiving date is in head, so postpones happen. During the migration almost every day something new happens and then my attention is more on migration map as well.

But still we have long time no data about White-tailed Eagles (the batteries of the loggers have not recovered, yet) and nor of Latvian Osprey Eriks and Tore.
Eden

Post by Eden »

NancyM wrote:I get very confused with the way dates are written - they are usually opposite to the way I write them in the US. Is it possible to use the name of the month rather than a number :help:
The European way to write the date is very easy to understand:
we write it in ascending, logical order: day, month, year

5 more weeks, and – hopefully - the ospreys should start to return…. :shake:
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Dadel

Post by Dadel »

Dadel's post and replies to it have been moved to Osprey-related topic

viewtopic.php?p=197495#p197495

Jo UK
A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

As we have members from all over the globe many of us have a problem with the different date formats.
For instance, is today 1-20-2013 or
2013 - 20 -1 or
20 -1 - 2013

The current webcams which werre produced in USA display the USA format, which confuses Europeans.
The European format confuses the North American members.

One way to overcome this is to write the name of the month, when we need to write a date in our posts.
So today is 20 January, 2013.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Eden wrote: The European way to write the date is very easy to understand:
we write it in ascending, logical order: day, month, year
yes, Eden - that is a very logical way - but for those of us in the US, it takes a lot of sorting out from our not-so-logical way. I like Jo's idea - today is now 21 Jan 2013 :thumbs:
Eden

Post by Eden »

NancyM wrote: yes, Eden - that is a very logical way - but for those of us in the US, it takes a lot of sorting out from our not-so-logical way. I like Jo's idea - today is now 21 Jan 2013 :thumbs:
No problem, Nancy, Europeans are adaptable :mrgreen:
AGUILA PESCADORA

Post by AGUILA PESCADORA »

Latvian osprey ringed 339 seen by Rutland ospreys team in West Africa:
http://www.ospreys.org.uk/friends-old-and-new/
Brit

Post by Brit »

What a fantastic story! Thank you very much, AGUILA PESCADORA, for sharing!
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Manu

Post by Manu »

@AGUILA PESCADORA: Thank you for this news :thumbs: .
I'm so happy to hear this :loveshower:
Liis

Post by Liis »

Eden: "....we write it in ascending, logical order: day, month, year"[/quote]
NancyM wrote: yes, Eden - that is a very logical way - but for those of us in the US, it takes a lot of sorting out from our not-so-logical way. I like Jo's idea - today is now 21 Jan 2013 :thumbs:
Jo's is probably the only way, short of brainwashing and then indoctrinating the whole forum.
There happens to be another, also quite logical but descending-order European format: Year-month-day: 2013-01-21. Or 130121 :mrgreen:
Eden

Post by Eden »

Liis wrote: Jo's is probably the only way, short of brainwashing and then indoctrinating the whole forum.
I don't understand what you mean with that?
Eden

Post by Eden »

Liis wrote:Or 130121 :mrgreen:
Sorry - do you mean 130121 A.D. or 130121 B.C. :slap:
Liis

Post by Liis »

Continued in How do you say ...? :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?p=197857#p197857

Return to “Migration Maps and News”