Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

Lucy

Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

Post by Lucy »

Link to webcam in Finland: http://natureit.net/site/saaksikamera.php

I’d like to present you a slideshow of beautiful and majestic pair White-tailed Eagles, which, from time to time, used to pay visits in Osprey nest webcam in Finland. Amazing landscape, fantastic camera picture …
Time of observation: Jan. 3rd, 2009, 14:19 – 15:50.

http://s369.photobucket.com/albums/oo13 ... =slideshow
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

HaHA - I have been clicking on that nest for weeks - admiring the scenery - but no birds - today I didn't go there - Typical :D :D

Are these the actual residents?
I thought it was an Osprey's nest??
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

The eagles are rather gatecrashers there. :wink: That is an osprey nest, of course (I mentioned about it in my post).
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Lucy, thank you for those pictures! What gorgeous huge birds, and the view is truly awesome. I have never been lucky enough to catch the ospreys there, never mind the gatecrasher eagles.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Attencion! The springtime has begun.

The Ospray has brought sprig of fir on the nest! yesterday there was none of them.. :shock: She is preparing for something extremply important.
Three days ago the nest looked like this:

EDITThey are not Osprays! I could not believe my eyes: You can read on the pic that this is sääksikamera, but the birds are White Taileg Eagles!
viewtopic.php?p=13809#p13809
And today like this:
Ospray_nest_preparing_18.2.2009.JPG
edit And now, at 12:10 there are two Osprays!
Two_Osprays_18.2.2009_12-09.JPG
Osprays_at_12-06.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

This is serious :slap: , I don'tknow, but I think they seemed to be ready for mating.OMG they are White Tailed eagles (how could i believe they are Osprays!! :cry: :blush: :blush: They say there in the informatiopage, that this is an Ospray nest web cam!(sääksikamera = Ospray cam). Last year it happened in same way. At first there were two White tailed eagles, then Osprays came in March and drowe them away!Now I have to hurry to correct my silly writing there in the 'other links topic'-posts! :rotf:
12-33_.JPG
12-33_.JPG
1_Right_side_12-41_2009_2_On_the_left_side_2008_happenings_.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Oh, renandeli - you made me laugh so much!
:rotf: :rotf:
You are so open and honest when you need to correct a post! :bow:
When I make a mistake (I never do that, of course!) I sneak around and put it right, quietly, hoping no-one has noticed! But I remember from last year that there were both eagles and ospreys on this nest, so it is confusing to begin with! It's fun. Your pictures are lovely.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

renandeli, whatever bird is there, the view from that nest is fabulous!

(I also sneak around like Jo said, and just correct my many mistakes :whistling: )
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

eagles at Sääksikamera !!
http://natureit.net/site/saaksikamera.p ... refresh=15

they look great :headroll:
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Oh, what beautiful birds and a glorious view. Thank you.
It looks as though the female is sitting (on Eggs?) and the male, the smaller bird, is standing. Can anyone say if that is right? I looked at the depth of beak on both and I think the female has a larger beak. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Jo UK wrote:Oh, what beautiful birds and a glorious view. Thank you.
It looks as though the female is sitting (on Eggs?) and the male, the smaller bird, is standing. Can anyone say if that is right? I looked at the depth of beak on both and I think the female has a larger beak. Please correct me if I am wrong.
No eggs in my earlier post, Jo!
This is not their nest!
viewtopic.php?p=20666#p20666
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

No eggs in your post, Pat? Good, well done :rotf:

Whose nest did you mean?
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Jo UK wrote:No eggs in your post, Pat? Good, well done :rotf:

Whose nest did you mean?
It's supposed to be the Osprey's nest - but these eagles and others have been seen there during the Winter! :D
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

:gathering: Life has to be fun! :laugh:
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Osprays have returned to their earlier nest in Finnish Archpelago. They have chased the two White tailed eagles away. In our newspaper there was yesterday an article about webcam and the nest there. It was told that the two eagles (seen there for weeks in winter and early spring time) had constructed the nest forwards and biologists were waiting the the first egg would appear soon, one of these days.

But now it seems that it has happened the same as last year: Osprays returned, and they think it is their place.

It would have been the first time when WTEs nest in front of camera.

EDIT :slap: But now, for 30 minutes later there is an White tailed eagle! The case who will have the nest is not clear!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Osprays are the winner the nest? I'm not sure but on the other pic the Ospray is moving a branche..

It's me here, me in my nest!

- I will watch here!

ame

Post by ame »

i've taken some pictures of sea eagles and ospreys from a web camera situated in the South-Western Finland archipelago. you can check it here:

it's not as exciting as the Looduskalender cameras as there is no sound and the picture is refreshed only every 15-20 seconds. the camera is pointed at an osprey's nest which has been seriously challenged by a pair of young sea-eagles this spring. They were rehearsing family life there for a few weeks. then the weather turned worse for about a fortnight and the eagles weren't seen there.

a week ago on Sunday morning the osprey returned and settled at the nest as the master of the house and started to fix and redecorate it, waiting for it's spouse to return. nevertheless the young eagle couple go on visiting the nest every now and then.

so far i haven't been able to see them actually figth over the nest but i think that the eagles and the osprey must have been close to each other as i have caught them in successive pictures on the nest itself.

finally yesterday late in the afternoon the other osprey returned to the nest. unfortunately none of the birds, eagles or ospreys, haven't got any rings so it is practically impossible to identify them. my guess is that the first arriving osprey was male.

i uploaded one in the Photobucket to test the procedure (i haven't done this before):
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... ellaneous/

... yes, it is there but with too much extra rubbish. how should the pictures be loaded there or the address of the pictures be given so that the picture itself would open directly? (i'll have to study this more... :dunno: begins to feel almost like work :slap:
i'll put more pictures of these birds in Photobucket as soon as i learn how to do it properly. however, this may take some time... :puzzled:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Hello, ame. Thank you for the description of the activities at that nest. It is such a good view and interesting to see who is in charge on any day - osprey or eagle!

The photobucket link you gave will provide you with a link to post here, which will open directly to a picture,
If you let your cursor hover over the picture, a list of links will show below the pic. Go to the bottom link IMG and click on it. Then it is highlighted, so copy it by Ctrl C That puts it on your clipboard
When you come back to your post here, copy it by Ctrl V and see if this gets it right.
ame

Post by ame »

now i'm trying to create a link to one whole day's photo album:

http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... o05042009/

the pictures are named simply as 'kotkaX' (in finnish kotka=eagle= kotkas :rolleyes: you know) or 'sääksiX' (sääksi = osprey in finnish) where X is running index number. in the upper right corner you can see the date and time when each picture is taken.

Return to “Osprey”