Eagles Winter Feeding Ground 2012 - 2013

Webcams of eagles feeding during winter time
ame

Re: Eagles Winter Feeding Ground 2012 - 2013

Post by ame »

oh! i failed to see them clash. :slap:
i happened to see the Chocolate at 17:47.

thank you for the camera work today, Andres and Jo! :wave:
EDIT: and Mutikluti thanks!

today's picture album: http://www.mejuba.com/albums/amelo/154128/1
playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... nGaKecFjMd

thank you vainamoinen for identifying the fish. :thumbs:
aita

Post by aita »

it is snowing

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

The snowstorm has reached Nõva.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

what a sudden change of weather! :slap:
:wave:
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

It was short day for me today...But it's time to finish now.

See you tomorrow! :wave:
Proud to be a member of SHoW
aita

Post by aita »

Yes, but..
...spring is coming...
Manu

Post by Manu »

Nice to see they're some eagle's on the ground in the afternoon.
Thank you for the pictures and the cam-work :wave: .
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Jo UK wrote:Thanks, Renno, for the photograph!

About the fish - maybe it is worth asking NancyM? I know she has been detailing the fish taken to the osprey nests, last year. She is, probably, the best informed person to ask? Maybe there are other fish experts here?
I am probably the least informed person about fish species in Estonia! But there are a couple of posters who helped with the osprey cam last season who might know.

My first thought was that the fish in the nest are some sort of gar or needlefish, but those are salt water fish. I don't know where the nest was in relation to the coast, but perhaps close enough.

ETA: oh , now I see one of the fish people (vainamoinen) already answered you with the same species that I had guessed.

Link to a picture of Belone belone
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... elone1.jpg
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Sorry, Nancy - I thought of you first but I know that others here know about fish, too.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

At least my guess was in agreement with vainamoinen's answer :D

(I edited my post, Jo, to acknowledge his response.)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Nancy, your link to Belone belone shows why you first mentioned needlefish. What a very good name for this thin, sharply pointed thing!
renno

Post by renno »

ame wrote:i think that Renno must be aware of the dangers. a week in a deep-freeze should annihilate any mites or other "normal" causes of infections. underskin mites may take a little longer than fleas which leave the corpse as soon it begins to cool down even to normal room temperature, not to mention to temperatures even near zero
On regular temperatures after the death of the host animal mange mites will die in 2-3 days and will be non-infective. Mange spreads only in direct contact and unfortunately it is widespread here on racoon dogs and foxes. Just to be sure about the mange I put the roadkilled RD for a week in deepfreezer (-18 C).
renno

Post by renno »

Great womens day to You all! (which is not yet over) :rolleyes:

I will not yet let You go from this cam because in this location it is the last season for winter feeding cam. We are discussing about new locations and hopefully will figure something out during summer and autumn. But today I can´t promise to You that we will continue in next season. I imagine it is not easy to hear this in the end of the season but we all are enjoing also other cams (Linda-Sulev will soon lay eggs!). Winter feeding cam takes much more effort than other cams (especially from Mutikluti and others! who are actually not tired I hope :rolleyes: ) and gives us lots of valuable info about WTE movements and population demographics.

I just put out new food there - two boar skins which hunters hold for us - also got some fish and due to cold weather (-5 to 20 C) we will continue feeding also next week. During this season we have seen at least 120 different WTEs including 38 ringed birds. This is best season we ever have had!

All to You who have supported us for winterfeeding webcam we hope to not let You down and use Your contribution for all webcams we are running now. Great thanks for Your support! In spring there will be 4-6 nestcams running :rolleyes: Today there is only Linda-Sulev nestcam but during two months all other nestcams will start.

Mutikluti, Jo and Andres - you have put incredible amount of time in this cam as operator! Also Ame as moderator and all others posting pictures and videos. We are most grateful to You all!!! :thumbs:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Renno, thank you for telling us this.
Yes, we know it is an important part of fact-gathering, and I hope you can find another location to carry on using this valuable PTZ camera.
George

Post by George »

Renno,I realy hope you will find another place for the cam then becuse its one of the best I ever been on and people all over the world is watching it so lets hope it will go on in the future also if its possible,myself I am always looking forward for this cam to start in the winter as I said before its the best cam! and also very good folk that doing the zooming all days
regards George
Manu

Post by Manu »

Renno: Thank you for this info.
We keep our fingers crossed you will find another good location for eagle winter feeding.
It is really a very special cam and a huge thank you to Mutikluti, Jo and Andres for their cam-work. And also a BIG thank you to you for all your efforts. A big thanks also to Ame who make such a great job.
I'm looking forward for a (hopefully) successful breeding season on all the other cam's.
It is such a pleasure to have the possibility to watch a part of Estonian wildlife.

And now we enjoy the last few days of winter feeding in Nova.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good morning! :wave:
Proud to be a member of SHoW
George

Post by George »

Good morning,nice to see eagles already this morning
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

good morning :hi:

Fleur

Post by Fleur »