Black Stork Tracks

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Liis

Re: Black Stork Tracks

Post by Liis »

http://etv.err.ee/index.php?05592787&video=3516
Video about placing camera (track cam, not web cam) in black stork nest, from TV programme Osoon on Monday March 26th. Kotkaklubi expert and climber: Ain Nurmla

Osoon next Monday at 20.05 , repeat on Tuesday at 13.45 about tracking bears at Alutaguse.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Thank you Liis, for posting the link. It was very interesting, though I would really wish ETV would start using English subtitles for the Osoon program, as often I have seen it recently :mrgreen:
Now I'm curious, if this will be indeed a Black Stork nest or ... as it is the Tooni nest where it was installed (if I have seen the whole surroundings correct, it was all very shaking and strange) and last year it was the Lesser Spotted Eagle nest in the end! :whistling:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Liis

Post by Liis »

There is a bit more about the Osoon video in the Alutaguse topic
Sorry, Asteria and Felis, storks and bears are a bit messed up.

:slap:I thought I had replied here. Then didn't find it, thought I had just quit before submitting.
This is what "summer time" does.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Liis wrote:
:slap:I thought I had replied here. Then didn't find it, thought I had just quit before submitting.
This is what "summer time" does.
Same happened to me just now as well! :sleep:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

French site has opened to signal the Black Stork.Initiated by the ONF (forests) and LPO (birds)
6th International Blacck Storl symposium

http://www.cigogne-noire.fr/?lang=fr

There are already a couple of sightings,including a BS from a nesting in the Creuse regoin in France and sighted in Hollande :D
Also signalled a nest with two storklets in the Jura (dept.) for the first time in 35 years.The size of the nest sugests the nest has been active for a few years unknown to anyone.
Language French or English
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

News from Carsten Rohde from his actual Israel trip:

http://blackstorknotes.blogspot.de/

This picture is somewhere further down in the blog (copyright by Carsten Rohde):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eWIL423jRsA/U ... Raivo1.jpg

He again met Raivo there!!! :thumbs:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

13 August 2013

The topic for Black Stork Tracks has been re-opened, and moved to the Migration Map and News forum.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

As in Estonia we have only few Black Storks with working transmitters, I would like to introduce our neighbors project, lead by Dr Maris Strazds. He wrote:

As you might already know, with help of the Max Plank Institute, Germany we have submitted eight juvenile Black stork females with gps transmitters. This project has two main purposes. The first one of course is to follow migration routes etc. - I will not go into details witch you all know, nothing original in this sense. The second purpose is however somewhat "different". Those of you who were present at the BS conference in France did see my presentation indicating that young males and young females might have different levels of mortality - the females being the threatened sex. So IF any of these birds will die during the early stages of migration - meaning certainly IN Europe, the intention is to go there (by ourselves or to ask somebody "next to the place") to find the bird (or remnants of its body) to study the reasons of death - be it illnesses, lack of food, accidents or anything else.

You can follow the routes of already moving birds at the movebank website (https://www.movebank.org). Search for the Black Stork and you will find in the project list Black Stork MPIO Latvia project with 7 birds there (so far 3 visible for the public). Transmitter of one bird is silent due to technical problems (solar panel covered by a feather, perhaps somehow sticked to it, and battery is completely off), four birds at least yesterday were still in their nests and that is the reason why they are not publicized yet. It will be done as soon as they will leave the nests and then the data appearing in the website are the original data from transmitters with no delay - the most actual coordinate is received at 18:00 EET. All birds have given names, so please refer to those names when/if you quote or ask about them.

Three - Dora, Agnese and Tince are moving already.

Some images of those birds are available at www.goris.lv
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Raivo reached his wintering grounds already, but Priidu for example has not started, yet.
If some of problematic transmitter will send some data, we will add those to the map.
At the moment also batteries of Priidus transmitter are weak, but that has happened every year the same time (probably Priidu flies not much, but saves energy for migration.
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Written 1 day back – LK server had a how ever serious transmitting problem, was kicked out, but could save the words before...
Automatic notification "beamed" me to the Migration map & news topic! Very good idea to move the "BS tracks" there, Jo UK! In fact, I only count 2/3 left GPS-tagged BS. In the meantime, for own interests, I made an overview of tagged BS from the Birdmap site. In Kotkaklubi's most active times for the BS, it have been 12 individuals. Regretfully I never managed to copy out the news from right side of the BM. The last incidents of disappearance - both in spring 2012- were with Leida in Estonia after coming back (tagged in 2009), and Valdur, who was missed since latest signals from Israel/Jordan borderland. He was tagged in 2008. In opposite, 2006 tagged Priidu's signals still seem to work. Raivo, who really is a tagged "veteran" (2005) shows no transmission problems.
I admit I understand only little of the technology and its application in the plumage of birds, nor am I so much interested in details :blush:
But I watched some docus about the Max Planck Institute/Ornithological station Radolfzell/Lake Constance and former leader the unique person of Prof Peter Berthold.
Hey! nice to hear of Māris Strazds in Latvia! The hint to this international BS conference in France in 2012 came from macdoum here some posts back...but didn't see until short time ago...
Urmas, as far as I know we didn't get any further info here about what the "results" were.
But doesn't matter - not sooo interesting for everyone if not being an Ornithologic professional...

I have tried to get familiar with this source for animal movements "Movebank" – nothing for beginners. But the movements of the young Latvian BS on the map is only to see with enormous maximizing – tiny red dots, but to stress moves? For such large migration routes as expected of the BS, like a line shown in the Birdmap, would've been more helpful to amateurs like us.
But I'm looking forward to what we can see here the next months. A dangerous life, no question!
(EDIT today - the 3 BS are obviously moving more, each different but in distance to their tagging place.
Yes! :slap: Raivo has already reached the fishing ponds in Israel, Beit She'an territory. I don't know the plans of Carsten Rohde for this autumn. I'm sure he'll get the info anyway, for he always enjoys to meet his "old friend" inmidst the flocks of BS... Mmm, the lack of BS prey this year in Estonia must be immense, it was to read of a "drought" earlier on LK mainpage, and a recent article by Marko Kübarsepp tells of predators rambling through empty brooks...

I hope the system won't break down again by uploading NOW
oehoeowl

Post by oehoeowl »

Katinka

Post by Katinka »

In Germany white colour rings are used - but not only here. The first letter is the country origin. France / Belgium in former times had no standard system. See Carsten Rohde's BSringing project page (not updated anymore) http://schwarzstorchberingung.de/page4.php.
BS observed via "your" website could be from Belgium, especially the juveniles, because in their first years they ramble around.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Katinka

Post by Katinka »

No move of Priidu on Saaremaa by the today's actualized data, somehow unusual?
I found the wind direction from weather station Kuressaare (as well as Käsmu) is South until now. That's perhaps why migration will not continue.

For the Latvian BS, it really gets more difficult to "follow" them. In consideration of only having those tiny, pinkish dots on the plan, for 4 of the 6 GPS-tagged and named Juveniles I found significant migration tracks.
Agnese seems to be in the surrounding of Brest (border Belarus), Guste has got most Southern, flying through/over Ukrainian territory, Oga and Dora are "rambling" through Lithuania. Perhaps the 2 left in Latvia wait for a perfect wind direction.
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Found out how to make moves better visible and also with a line. It only has to do with language :puzzled: obstructions…
Any setting can be chosen for map signatures.

Agnese – still staying in Brest surrounding (exact: Białowieża NP – well-known area).
Guste – the quick one - moves on through Southern part of Ukraina/Moldawa border. Seems to have followed a system of inshore waters, but now again northwards.
Oga now has reached Southern part of Belarus.
Dora has taken up flights more eastwards, now Central Lithuania.
Dace has moved along the Baltic coast southwards, now near to the Kurland lagoon/Kaliningrad surrounding.
Tince has done a lot of moves the last days: obviously with the wind direction got northeastwards to Russia.

Regarding Estonian BS Priidu – latest transmission data on Birdmap from Aug 18 – no news.
Wind has changed, now Northeastern. Perhaps the right impulse to take off.
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

15:50 EEST
Agnese – has taken off after 6 days in Białowieża NP, now heading South
Guste – moves eastwards in Ukrainian South – lowlands near a huge water reservoir
Oga – is resting "behind" Belarus/Ukrainian border
Dora – still stays in Central Lithuania (ponds of a protection area – Siauliai)
Dace – more southwards, since 3 days on Kaliningrad territory
Tince – still in NW borderland of Russia, since 2 days resting near a motorway
Santa since Aug 21 – straight southwards, now NW Belarus, landscape with several seas
Mellene since Aug 22, signals started in Lithuania – straight southwards, already western Belarus

Summary for now
Oga and Agnese have nearly the same direction towards Northern Ukraina, whereat Oga (the typical local rambler during the first time) took only half of the move points of Agnese.
"Newbie" Mellene is definitely moving "effectively" – will soon have reached Agnese…

Regarding Estonian Priidu – no transmission news
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

updated 23:14 EEST
Estonian BS -
now the Birdmap settings have been updated with the latest signals, and Priidu has almost taken off from Saaremaa, some days ago...If he was successful with a new mate and could raise up some offspring, that could explain the "late" start southwards. But for protection reasons this will remain unknown to us.

In the meantime Raivo is moving to and fro on Israeli territory. He seems to be bored, having arrived in a well-known surrounding so early. There will be only Israeli BS with him, as the most flocks of migrating Northern BS are at their way.
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

23:07 EEST
Agnese – has reached Moldowa borderland
Gusteno signal/move since 2 days in the Ukrainian South
Oga – is rambling since 4 days "behind" Belarus/Ukrainian border. Possible that she is going to join some "foreign" juveniles and then flies on.
Dora – still Central Lithuania (rambling, then returned to the ponds)
Dace – since 5 days on Kaliningrad territory
Tince – still in NW borderland of Russia, since 4 days resting/rambling around
Santa – still NW Belarus, landscape with several seas
Mellene - moves on after a "hook", perhaps having met other BS juveniles, now Central Ukraina
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Aug 31 - 19:14 EEST
Agnese – heading straight on southwards, soon reaches the delta of Duna (Danube/Donau)
Guste – rambling in the Ukrainian South since 11 days. If the moving scheme persists like that, the option for him could be to follow the very eastern route, via Kaukasus, as described in Janssen et al.
Oga – is rambling since 9 days in NW Ukraina: lowland/Styr river region, in an area limited to 25 km² (not exact to estimate with my measuring possibilities!)
Dora – still Lithuania - Siauliai region, rambling very actively in a (obviously very attractive) protection area
Dace – since 10 days moving on Kaliningrad territory
Tince – still rambling/resting in NW Russia, since 9 days in an area limited to 25 km² (estimated, see above)
Santa – signals come since 7 days from a landscape with large seas, NW Belarus, near Miadziel. But I have doubts if BS is still alive, due to a different meaning of the "density" points. Signals work, but no move to find on the map…
Mellene – has crossed Romania in a very short time, now in direction to the Delta, like Agnese. Although ca. 8 days later started with migration, has needed less than 1/3 of the signal points to get there!
And our Priidu from Saaremaa...
Heading straight southwards, now in Romania near the Danube/Duna.
He took a short part of a similar route like Mellene some days later.
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

16:45 EEST
Agnese – at the moment in Southern Moldowa, resting in fields or meadows.
Guste – rambling and flying on not too much, now more northwards in the Ukrainian East. Will she soon make it via the Eastern bypassing of the Black Sea?
Oga – is rambling on, now since 14 days in NW Ukraina: Styr river plains, in an area limited to 25 km². According to the extraordinary length of the rest, it's to assume weather conditions or simply very attractive ground to find food.
Dora – finally she left Lithuania for heading straight into the South! Has flown nearly 1000 km in 2 days…Now North-eastern Romania.
Dace – since 15 days on Kaliningrad territory, has, why ever, taken the way back more into the center.
Tince – after resting in NW Russia for 11 days now since 2 days heading straight southwards, made 600 km (roughly estimated). She is to find in an agglomeration of ponds in Southern Belarus.
Santa – no new signals that would show a moving bird…Since 12 days in NW Belarus, near Miadziel. Zoomed into the satellite map: a relay station for power / TV transmitter as it seems.
And, after having found the correct keywords to get more Google results for this project – Dzivibas lidojums – I can check the Facebook reports now. The FB activists from Latvia report today that Santa is found dead, by a courageous and committed volunteer from the country. Respect for such a good network!
More details could follow the next days.
And the last – now they are 7 on the tagged migration:
Mellene – still resting in Southern Moldowa/Romania borderland, near a few ponds – in neighbourhood to Agnese.

Finally Priidu - still taking a rest in the Danube river plains

Return to “Migration Maps and News”