Estonian Osprey Nest ~Mai & Mikk~ (P&M) DISCUSSION 2015

andi7

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest ~Mai & Mikk~ (P&M) DISCUSSION 2015

Post by andi7 »

Bea wrote:With Estonian help (thank you, juta!) I found two names which come pretty close to this ..... Agu (male name) and Koidu (female name)

I suppose it is impossible to find out who hatched in the morning und who in the evening --- it is still bit difficult to tell them apart at all
We could also use some geographical names from the nest area like the Latvian users did for the chicks of Laima and Pēteris or use their appearence, color, plumage, e.g. to give them Estonian names, as we will never know for sure who is the older ospret in this nest. I guess they won't develop in different steps and show significant differences in plumage and size anymore, as the younger osprey chicks tend to catch up with their siblings at this stage.

But I like the names Agu and Koidu, so maybe we should simply give them these names.
-Thumper-

Post by -Thumper- »

Agu and Koidu sound like proper names, but definitely wait to decide who to assign which name to until they are ringed. :nod:
Kathy1229

Post by Kathy1229 »

Very nice names for the chicks.....I like them both... :thumbs:
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.

ROBERT WILSON LYND
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Bea wrote:
I suppose it is impossible to find out who hatched in the morning und who in the evening --- it is still bit difficult to tell them apart at all :D
For the three osprets names at Irma and Joosep´s nest a vote topic will happen like in previous years.

Opinions?
The head of the one on the left side is much darker than the one on the right.

I guess you should wait a little bit with giving names. But I am not the one to decide this.
May be this helps:

Estonian names and meaning of it (PDF)
http://www.fredonia.edu/faculty/emeritu ... -27-07.pdf
Hele (f) {HAY-leh}, 1). Estonian „bright, clear, light, fair‟
Bruno (m) BROO-no}, . „brown.‟

http://www.fredonia.edu/faculty/emeritu ... niannames/
Pronunciation and Meaning of Estonian Names
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI
IBAN EE18 2200 2210 4035 9778 - BIC HABAEE2X - Swedbank AS
Wire Transfer via SEPA in EURO Countries

search.php?keywords=villa&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTIDeR ... vpJrE-ImTh
Bea

Post by Bea »

Waiting with names until they get their rings is a good decision. It will be easier to tell them apart, also when one can have only a quick look at them, colors and plumage can still change with their growth, we´ll see.

We can still make a vote for all suggestions here, when it is wanted.
andi7 wrote:We could also use some geographical names from the nest area like the Latvian users did for the chicks of Laima and Pēteris or use their appearence, color, plumage, e.g. to give them Estonian names, as we will never know for sure who is the older ospret in this nest. I guess they won't develop in different steps and show significant differences in plumage and size anymore, as the younger osprey chicks tend to catch up with their siblings at this stage.
At the Dyfi (Wales, UK) Ospreys also get names of geographical givens, nice idea, when local geography offers this.

Location of Latvian Osprey nests changed nearly every new season now, so it relates to the place for this year as they were named like rivers in the further area.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Bea

Post by Bea »

Which fish is it ....?

Yesterday a very interesting fish was delivered, from pattern and reddish fins it looks like a Perch, but it seems to be longer and "slimmer" and the head looks more like a Pike´s head ..... :puzzled:

Image Image

I wonder if it could be a Pike Perch, but don´t know whether their pattern on the flanks is that clear and whether they have so reddish fins ... :puzzled:

Any fisherman here to help?
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

You look to my hairs. I am taking wet look gel!
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Bea

Post by Bea »

News about Piret! :loveshower:

Urmas was visiting a nest in area towards Latvian border to ring the chicks there, when it turned out that the female of the nest is Piret :D
She has two chicks. It was known from the two previous years that a Latvian male was breeding on this nest, but during ringing no male showed up, so it is unknown whether she is breeding with this Latvian male or Madis or another male.

This nest is in a close and dense forest, it is still not sure whether it is possible to trap and release her from the faulty transmitter there.

Picture: Urmas Sellis

Picture: Urmas Sellis
seira

Post by seira »

thank you Urmas and Bea for the information
so happy to see Piret is good :loveshower:
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Bea wrote: News about Piret!
Urmas was visiting a nest in area towards Latvian border to ring the chicks there, when it turned out that the female of the nest is Piret :D
She has two chicks. It was known from the two previous years that a Latvian male was breeding on this nest, but during ringing no male showed up, so it is unknown whether she is breeding with this Latvian male or Madis or another male.

This nest is in a close and dense forest, it is still not sure whether it is possible to trap and release her from the faulty transmitter there.
What good news. Lady Piret is still there. Thank you for this wonderful information. This is the best message so far in this season. I hope Madis is with her or at any other safe place. The Latvian boarder seems not so far away. May be they used this nest before. Transmitter or not, she is alive.
Thank you again so much. :loveshower:
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

_____________________ :loveshower: ______________________
:loveshower: Happy news!!! Thank you so much!!! :loveshower:
_____________________ :loveshower: ______________________
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Even if we cannot watch Piret and Madis I have to say that Mai and Mikk are dignified successors for this nest. After some starter problems with food and feeding from the parents even the kids seem relaxed to me and are growing well. I enjoy them much. Mai is bringing every day new nest material. Mikk's food supply is quiet alright. The kids are alone in the nest at night. I guess Mai is sleeping on the cam tree and watching. Mikk might be also nearby. He is sort of special. Staying in the nest after delivery. Reminds me of Madis. Mikk could be seen on the left side of the nest since 12:43h. Mai returned at 12:50h asking for food. Mikk is gone at 12:56h

Ps: Bea - May be they know what kind of fish.
http://hecht-zander-barsch.de/vatertag- ... ten-allein

PS2: Debianuser, again thanks for the nice pontu tool
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

That is a good news, Bea. Thank you! Beautiful to know, that Piret is good and she has 2 children in this season.
And I think how Luz4711 about our new couple! :shake:
Luz4711 You are sure, that the chicks are alone during the night? In the late evening( against 23.30) i see she always in the nest with the youngs.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
andi7

Post by andi7 »

I tried to make some portraits of the two osprets from left, right, front and back. But they are moving too quick or staying behind this nasty spot.
So I have to use one scene to be sure I got four pictures of the same bird each. But they don't show me any side of their body in a perfect angle or light.
The one in second row has a darker back. I think the one with the dark face is in the first row. Also the white spaces at the side of the one in first row are bigger than in second row.
But if perspective or light is changing, one could easily confused with the other. I couldn't recognize any obvious marks on these two.
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

andi7 wrote: I couldn't recognize any obvious marks on these two.
I can recognize that the one on the left in this picture is much darker on the head and around the eyes. I don't think this will change. Your photos also show differences in the back of the head.
You find the pic here
http://193.40.124.24/2015-kalakotkas-ft ... -09-24.jpg

Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Birdfriend wrote: Luz4711 You are sure, that the chicks are alone during the night? In the late evening( against 23.30) i see she always in the nest with the youngs.
They were alone from 03:48h to 04:34h according to pontu pic. Mai was seen in the nest when the pics started at 03:46h.
The night before or better yesterday morning pics started at 03:50h and kids were alone and peacefully sleeping until 04:52h.
So may be I am wrong about night time or wrong anyway. She probably leaves in the dawn. But I believe someone is near in the tree behind and we cannot see it
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

lispet

Post by lispet »

:loveshower: :loveshower: so happy of the news about Piret! Wish you luck in removing the transmitter! :2thumbsup:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Thanks for the news about Piret! I am very glad that Piret this season, everything turned out happily. I hope that Madis is alive and near Piret! :loveshower: :loveshower:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

I think the second chick was more or less neglected during this feeding (19:20), s/he was hungry but couldn't take a good position and Mai was too hungry herself, again ...
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Marvelous news about Piret - really a scoop of the year, thousands thanks, Urmas! :loveshower:
Fascinating that they can move their nesting territory so long distances from the previous nesting area! I hope, too, that Madis is as well as Piret.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”