Latvian WtE nest webcamera: Juras-erglis 2015

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

leni

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera: Juras-erglis 2015

Post by leni »

Janis Kuze has shown pictures of the oak after the lightning in the latvian forum.
it looks unbelieveable :slap:.

but our Durberts looks ok...

http://dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopic.ph ... tart=11420
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

August 17th

good morning :hi:

Leni, that looks bad. :faint: All oak trees are gone, not only the parents Oak :slap:
Now They have no raised hide in the near anymore .....
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Jänis Kuze "View from the nest - remains of lightning - stroked "parent tree" can be seen in the foreground"

"Close-up from the same view-point."

"Oak was literally blowed up, remains could be found as far as 50 m away. Two large pieces had flown till the cable line, fortunately, cable was not broked."
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Jänis Kuze
"Durberts has arrived when camera was dismantled from the nest tree.."

our Durberts :loveshower: :loveshower:

I have the pictures and the text from the dabastati.lv Forum :laugh:

Thanks to Janis Kuze :2thumbsup:
Seymore

Post by Seymore »

Marfo wrote:For those of you who, like me, have been wanting to donate to contribute to the WTE nestcam but keep forgetting to do so I add a link here:
http://dabasdati.lv/en/cat/465 (the Latvian Fund for Nature)
:hi:
It's probably a good time to mention Marfo's post again. :wave:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

Liz01 wrote:Lianaliesma :hi: Thanks for Translation. now it is better to understood :headroll:

You are all welcome :rolleyes: I am also so happy to see our Durberts flying high above and I cannot wait seeing him and parents in the nest... Image
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
thank you Liz for borrowing the pictures taken by Janis! :thumbs:

amazing to see how the oak has blown into pieces. :slap:
it was such a big tree that it's almost difficult to believe it is gone...
it is really a shame that the transmission from the camera stopped before the lightning struck. it would have been great to be able to make a slow-motion close-up clip of the blow. :mrgreen:
and a frame-by-frame gif. :whistling:

Durberts was of course jealous seeing people climbing to his nest. lucky Janis that Durberts didn't attack him, only 'called'... :laugh:
Janis Kuze

Post by Janis Kuze »

ame wrote:
it is really a shame that the transmission from the camera stopped before the lightning struck. it would have been great to be able to make a slow-motion close-up clip of the blow. :mrgreen:
and a frame-by-frame gif. :whistling:
We discussed this issue with brachux yesterday - most probably the transmission has stopped at moment when the blow occured and the actual moment of strike was not transmitted. Camera has stored the stream as well and all went good when it suddenly and abruptly was stopped.. There are two components - camera and router that have burned down at the moment.
ame

Post by ame »

i made a Pontu clip of the last minute of the transmission and there is nothing to see. the stream just stops.

but earlier at 8:59 a lightning stroke was recorded on the camera. i happened to spot it when i was making the above clip. i could take pictures frame by frame of this one. the lightning could be seen in two frames and the after-glow in one more picture. when the flash appears one can hear an electronic 'crick' on the video: that's when an over-voltage spike was induced in the camera system. the rumble begin 10 s later so the lightning struck at a distance of little over 3 km. this lightning seemed to strike from one cloud to another, not between cloud and ground.
in this gif each picture is shown for 0.5 s but the three pictures with the lightning are shown for 1 s each, so it is a kind of slowmotion 'video'.

max18

Post by max18 »

Hello to all :wave:
After seeing the photos kindly given by Janis is Brachux and I'm wondering if in addition to seeing Durberts you have news of the parents :unsure:
Hello Durbe, wherever you are I hope you are flying happy ... we miss you.
ame

Post by ame »

i suppose that they would have told us if they had seen them. so no news about the parents.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

thank you so much for these pictures... it's wonderful to see Durberts :D but I also wonder about the parents :shock: - what a lightening strike! it's incredible how that oak has been destroyed... it would be great to know that both Robert and Durbe are also okay (obviously impossible to know just now). I really hope it is possible to set up the BS camera... But the 'end of season' is like this - with Sulev, Linda and Illmar we lost connection, so were not able to see them any more - it's one of the frustrations, I suppose :nod: :headroll:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I have observed the camera until the thunderstorm came. There were no parents to see or hear. Just like Durberts.
I am sure that all is well! :2thumbsup:

Ame, thank you for the videos. I see them at my home.
Can you make a Gif. Nest view before and after thunderstorm?
ame

Post by ame »

i tried to make sense of the before and after pictures but it didn't turn out well. Janis has taken his picture from a slightly different angle and not from the exact position of the camera. also the weather is quite different and the quality of Janis' picture is so much better than the camera picture in the stormy morning that the comparison doesn't work. i think it's best to wait for the new camera.

but i took the last picture from the Pontu video. the pointer cone points lower than it used to but the parent's branch is empty.

i also checked the Pontu pictures and i can't say i see anyone there all morning. there are some vague spots but i can't see any eagles here. it has been difficult to see Durberts in the oak, but the parents have been relatively easy to see. i watched the Pontu video in fast-forward before the end but i couldn't see anyone in the tree.
(besides if there had been one of them i don't think it would not be possible to find any traces of them near the oak. it the oak was turned into sticks then what would happen to a bird? :shock: )
we'll have to wait. sooner or later we'll see them.

people are seldom struck and killed by lightnings although it sometimes happens. i suppose that the probability for eagles isn't much higher than for people even though they like to sit in big trees to stay in shelter from rain. i guess, however, that the eagles were all sitting in some thick bushy spruces. the oak was not as good for keeping rain.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Just wonderful to see a picture of Durberts - what devastation to the oak. AME that slow mo of the lightning strike was
very clever. Now to wait for confirmation that Robert and Durbe are ok.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Ame wrote: lucky Janis that Durberts didn't attack him, only 'called'... :laugh:
Durberts knows Janis is a friend... :nod: he was just saying hello.. :wave:
But, 'wow' indeed! What a blow! And that it had to be that oak and not some other tree...what a coincidence.
Thanks Ame for the GIF. Great idea!

Wonderful to see Durberts from another angle, He has become a 'flying door', a nickname the WT Eagles are given in the Netherlands for obvious reasons. But probably they are called that in other countries too. Thanks, Janis, for the pictures!

Now we just have to wait. Hopefully we will see the birdies again soon!
max18

Post by max18 »

ame wrote:i suppose that they would have told us if they had seen them. so no news about the parents.
You're right Ame :rolleyes:
We hope to have reassuring news in the coming days, it is comforting as Liz said that the moments before the devastation seems that there was no eagle in the tree oak :thumbs:
Hello Durbe, wherever you are I hope you are flying happy ... we miss you.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

There are many connection problems with the Looduskalender website today, by the way. :bash:
No more connection problems :D
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

ame wrote:i tried to make sense of the before and after pictures but it didn't turn out well. Janis has taken his picture from a slightly different angle and not from the exact position of the camera. ...
I also have tried to compare, but it is hard to tell what has changed, also because the cam view is distorted by the very wide angle. The central tree in your picture is gone for sure, but is there something missing to the right of it also?
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

If you look at this picture taken from the ringing video you can see better that there is a group of smaller trees closer to the nest tree. The same group - I think - that you see on the right in Janis' picture. Because of the wide angle the oak and this group look closer together than they really are. If you watch the video it is even more evident. Besides, if there had been more trees next to the oak wouldn't Janis have seen the remains?

By the way, is there a large bird in the tree far right in Janis' picture or am I hallucinating?

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”