Estonian Osprey Nest Mai & Mati ~DISCUSSION 2016

jillian

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest Mai & Mati ~DISCUSSION 2016

Post by jillian »

When we follow this "system" now, we need a male Estonian name with N for CN --- the suggestions for it are Neeme and Nigul.
Although I know I'm the one who suggested 'Nigul' in the first place (so I'm biased, lol), I do want to point out one reason I like it (besides the fact that I just like it) is that one of its meanings is that 'Nigul' is the patron saint of seafarers. A good name - in my opinion - of someone who eats fish to survive. :nod:

I just wanted to point that out.
Bea

Post by Bea »

?

I thought it is the Estonian form for the name Nikolaus ..... :puzzled:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
jillian

Post by jillian »

I thought it is the Estonian form for the name Nikolaus ..... :puzzled:
It is. That name - and all forms of it (like Nicholas) - are from where that meaning comes....according to the internet, that is....and you know the internet never lies.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Ahhhh - jep, found it .... somehow it was not in my memory that he is the patron saint of the sailors .... I am not good in knowing all about the saints :whistling:
jillian

Post by jillian »

I probably found that because I was looking for it. To be honest, since it's a form of the name Nicholas, I had to look up the meaning of the name Nicholas. That's where I found it.
Kathy1229

Post by Kathy1229 »

I like both the "N" names...but our Estonian friends should do the choosing....I will be happy with either of the names... :D
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.

ROBERT WILSON LYND
Summi

Post by Summi »

would be a nice choice
Nigul (keeping in mind the meaning)
Paavo
Let's try to decide before they fly away :rotf:
mail

Post by mail »

I would vote for Neeme because Paavo and Neeme sound similar. Although Neeme Järvi is Paavo's father, but I don't think this should matter. :rolleyes:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Bea wrote:It seems that we found the name for CP --- Paavo is the favourite P-name of many members participating in the name finding.

When we follow this "system" now, we need a male Estonian name with N for CN --- the suggestions for it are Neeme and Nigul.

We have to make a decision --- your opinions, please!
Paavo Järvi's brother is named Kristjan, as I wrote before. Is there in Estonian the form Cristjan too? If not, I also would vote for Paavo and Neeme.
Neeme in fact is Paavo's father. All three are great Estonian musisians.
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi: We have Mai's and Mati's osprey family in this nest and they haven't any relationship with the family Järvi. Paavo, Neeme and Nigul all are common names in Estonia.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Hellem wrote::hi: We have Mai's and Mati's osprey family in this nest and they haven't any relationship with the family Järvi. ...
Of course I know, but I thought it could be a nice gesture to honour the Estonians with names of their great artists? :unsure:
Bea

Post by Bea »

So, now before we get lost in even more details, and due to the fact that CP Paavo has already made his maiden flight today and we can expect doing CN the same any time now .... we finish the voting for names for CN now with the result of

5 votes for Neeme
3 votes for Nigul

Thus we have a CN Neeme for our second boy on the nest :thumbs:

Thank you all for participating in finding proper names for our two osprets :shake:
Bea

Post by Bea »

I like the idea behind the name Nigul (saint of the sailors) very much and hope we will get another occasion for this name for an osprey in the future :nod:

Please help to remember it when the occasion is there :D
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Who was the younger?
Freedom!
jillian

Post by jillian »

I like both the "N" names...but our Estonian friends should do the choosing....I will be happy with either of the names... :D
You know, I hadn't even really thought of that. I suppose I was just so happy to be included in the process of two of the ospreys I enjoy watching so much. But she's right. As much as I like watching CP and CN, it's our Estonian friends who should do the final choosing. I, too, will be happy with the final decision of the names. :thumbs:
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Swenja wrote: Who was the younger?
I am not sure. Seems to me that CN is older (he was heavier during ringing)
Does anybody know?
Solo

Post by Solo »

Swenja wrote:Who was the younger?
Lubaska wrote:I am not sure. Seems to me that CN is older (he was heavier during ringing) Does anybody know?
usually the older fly out first :puzzled:
Elli

Post by Elli »

In germany its 21:40 and I can see no osprey in nest. What's happen? I am very worried :unsure:
I mean the nest with one eagle child
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Elli wrote:In germany its 21:40 and I can see no osprey in nest. What's happen? I am very worried :unsure:
I mean the nest with one eagle child
He flew away - sitting on dead tree
Bea

Post by Bea »

Elli,
this young osprey fledged today, made already several successful flights around the nesting area and will maybe spend the whole night perching in a neighboured tree - that's normal and no need for worries.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”