Fall in Oregon, USA

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Liis

Re: Fall in Oregon, USA

Post by Liis »

Yesterday "my" katsura tree was almost bare, there were just a couple of branches with pale yellow leaves.
The ground was covered with katsura leaves, but never, ever a whiff of cakes or spice.
What about yours, Alice - and everybody else who knows a katsura?
Is this another gardening myth? Do I lack a gene for autumn katsura leaf smell? :book: :dunno:
BTW, not noticed any particular Japanese poetic enthusiasm on katsura leaf fragrance - but then they don't seem to go much for smells.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:Yesterday "my" katsura tree was almost bare, there were just a couple of branches with pale yellow leaves.
The ground was covered with katsura leaves, but never, ever a whiff of cakes or spice.
What about yours, Alice - and everybody else who knows a katsura?
Is this another gardening myth? Do I lack a gene for autumn katsura leaf smell? :book: :dunno:
BTW, not noticed any particular Japanese poetic enthusiasm on katsura leaf fragrance - but then they don't seem to go much for smells.
When I remember I sniff the leaves. I walked past several today that still have a few leaves -- if they have any scent, I too am missing the ability to smell it.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

October 21st
A maple of some sort.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Also on the 21st another tree I cannot identify -- although I have an idea -- but which I think is pretty.

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Those fruit look so much like rambutan, or lychee, but maybe the spines are not quite long enough?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

My father told me it was a Manzanita but I have ruled that out completely. I think it is a Strawberry tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Tree
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/1p ... tm#arbutus
but I do not see much difference between those and the lychee -- their fruit seem slightly more ovoid.

(Since I started this project I have seen all sorts of trees I had never seen before.)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

October 24
My Sweet Gum Trees (LiquidAmber)

The same day less than 30 meters away some more Sweet Gum trees. They were all planted by the city some 40ish years ago -- so I am sure they are the same variety.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

October 24
Just to show what an odd fall it is, here is my Columbine, replete with new growth.

The same day, in another corner of the garden -- a Snowberry (I think) under the Birches.

And about the most colourful rose leaves I have ever seen.
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

alice, these pictures and colours are wonderful...so colourful, just like one fall should be!
we had here (in Tallinn) first freezing nights, so the big trees have lost their last leaves, only bushes like lilacs and jasmines in my garden are still keeping their leaves.
wonder for how long?
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I am way behind in my posts and now I have been spending my computer time on the feeding ground cam.

But...

This is a picture from
10 November a beautiful Oak I saw while walking
alice44

Post by alice44 »

November 12
Small Leafed Maple near my house
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Soooo Days late and only partially done

November 18
My small Sunset Maple

The leaves on it have now been down for a while.

Same day: the Sweet Gums which are just visible in the photo above hiding behind the small maples -- they have less leaves now, but not so many less.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

There are some wonderful colours on this page!
If you scroll down at medium speed from top to bottom it is a feast of colours.

Thanks Alice.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Finally we are having frost and we MAY even have some snow-- that might mean winter is here -- although really winter is just the season of rain and more rain.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Sweet Gum Tree from a couple days ago at about 4pm in the setting sun, which is making them a little extra red.

Different Trees -- also Sweet Gums -- today (since the frosts the leaves are falling without going red)

Sweet Violet in my front garden today
Liis

Post by Liis »

Is it really true that you still had/have leaves on trees in December?
I checked my photos yesterday: here in Stockholm nearly all leaves were gone by the first week of November; my "test group" was maple, oak, elm, lime ( or linden); the linden held on to its leaves longest, surprisingly, the oak leaves dropped remarkably early.
There are one or two birches around with yellow leaves on them still, but they are just individually stubborn (probably park trees imported from Central Europe)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I think birch leaves fall about the earliest here -- but I found one yellow birch still glowing just a few days ago. As soon as I down load my pictures I will post a new picture of that same Sweet Gum (the one glowing in the setting sun) in a winter thread -- it still has leaves.

I will be raking leaves at Christmas probably. 20 years ago I think they fell earlier, but then the trees were smaller back then, too.

Nov. 30th
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

You have posted the lovliest trees,Alice. How strange that you will be still raking the leaves in December. :puzzled:
Here we will probably be shovelling snow. :rolleyes:
I feel quite ashamed that i haven't posted all my photos but they are in the computer. :puzzled: only trouble is HOW to put them on my google ac. Son is much too busy to help these days and I don't like to call on him if its nothing vital.!!
Maybe he will have more time when it comes to the winter scenes ?? :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Tomorrow I will see what is what. There is freezing rain tonight and maybe some snow tomorrow, so all the leaves might come down quickly. And recently green leaves have fallen because they have frozen. The dry brittle green looks so sad lying on the ground.

macdoum as to pictures picassa, (I think that is google) does not seem to let one post images in the same way photobucket does -- somehow it is harder.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Yes Alice,despite tutoring for every week I managed to put on (2-3) I had to have it all explained to me every time. Son is soooo busy lately I don't ask. But it has been a delight to see all the other places and different trees and plant life in other places of the world.
THX for all of your pics. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Seasons”