ame

Re: Winter Feeding Ground Webcam November '09

Post by ame »

Alice, were are almost synchoronized :thumbs: :rotf:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:innocent:
: :faint:
And again I hear birds but can not see them. The food must be mostly gone.

So I guess I am :offtobed:
Liis

Post by Liis »

ame wrote:time zones were "invented" or rather they were found necessary when the railroads started in the second half of 1800's. it was then that people realized that is was necessary to pay attention to this phenomenon of "days starting at different times at different places" as they started writing timetables for international train traffic.
Ye-es. But there is the north-south angle too. If start of day = getting light, then today
Luleå (N Sweden) had sunrise 9.35, sunset 13.12
Malmö (S Sweden) sunrise 8.24, sunset 15.37
Both largely the same longitude. True, the north-south differences never get as big as going round the world across the longitudes. But people must have noticed the differences before train travel and formal time zones, and handled it somehow.
(Poor birds in Luleå - colder, and so much less time to find food)
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

The black woodpecker....

Proud to be a member of SHoW
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

The first bird today on the feeding place....

ergee

Post by ergee »

:wave: Good afternoon everybody,
What a silence! Where are all the birds or other animals? we will have to
wait till tomorrow-morning I fear! :rolleyes:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Maybe the carcass is picked clean? We can't see it from here, so must manage by guess work.

Come oin, Winter. We want a better view!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

10 December

Good morning :hi:

except the sound of an airplane, it's quiet in the woods.

9:00
sound of ravens in the background
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:wave:
Good Morning

The sound of Crows?
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

the sound of a raven.
The text must be equally be translated :whistling:

http://www.ivnvechtplassen.org/ivn_voge ... corax.html
ame

Post by ame »

wasn't 'the food' in this new place a carcass of an elk (moose)? if it is there is hundreds of kilos of meat there. the birds can not have finished it yet. i think they hardly have been able to penetrate the skin of the carcass, and i think i've heard that then skin of a moose is rather tough. at least it makes good quality leather.
EDIT: yes, Mutikluti told us on Dec 4th that it was an elk/moose. viewtopic.php?p=51807#p51807
renno

Post by renno »

ame wrote:wasn't 'the food' in this new place a carcass of an elk (moose)? if it is there is hundreds of kilos of meat there. the birds can not have finished it yet. i think they hardly have been able to penetrate the skin of the carcass, and i think i've heard that then skin of a moose is rather tough. at least it makes good quality leather.
EDIT: yes, Mutikluti told us on Dec 4th that it was an elk/moose. viewtopic.php?p=51807#p51807
Yes, it is elk (moose) there which local hunters found dead from the forest. It was very old elk based on the size and body. Probably the weather is still too warm here and ravens, crows, eagles and others do not need to feed every day. But two days ago there was great mess with lots of ravens and two eagles, soon must be same kind of day!

We moved the camera due to the elk because it was impossible to bring the elk on the feeding ground in the water. But we managed to bring the elk about 30m away on the smaller open island in the swamp which foxes and racoon gods cannot access, at least up to first freeze :rolleyes:

Weather forecast is promising - on Saturday or Sunday here will be colder, during the night up to -5 deg C and daytime around 0 deg. Hopefully then will be here more action :rolleyes: next week is also colder here.

White tailed eagles are already repairing their nest sites.. yes it is strange because here haven´t been the winter yet :rolleyes: I have seen three freshly repaired nests during last week when searching the new ones. Adult WTEs are mostly here in Estonia during the winter and they use their time wisely. Linda and Sulev are probably also close to the nest, mayby building also the nest. We try to start with the WTE nest cam in the end of Dec or beginning of Jan to see when the adult WTEs start to come to the nest more often. Spring is still far away..
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

renno wrote: Yes, it is elk (moose) there which local hunters found dead from the forest. It was very old elk based on the size and body. Probably the weather is still too warm here and ravens, crows, eagles and others do not need to feed every day. But two days ago there was great mess with lots of ravens and two eagles, soon must be same kind of day!

We moved the camera due to the elk because it was impossible to bring the elk on the feeding ground in the water. But we managed to bring the elk about 30m away on the smaller open island in the swamp which foxes and racoon gods cannot access, at least up to first freeze :rolleyes:

Weather forecast is promising - on Saturday or Sunday here will be colder, during the night up to -5 deg C and daytime around 0 deg. Hopefully then will be here more action :rolleyes: next week is also colder here.

White tailed eagles are already repairing their nest sites.. yes it is strange because here haven´t been the winter yet :rolleyes: I have seen three freshly repaired nests during last week when searching the new ones. Adult WTEs are mostly here in Estonia during the winter and they use their time wisely. Linda and Sulev are probably also close to the nest, mayby building also the nest. We try to start with the WTE nest cam in the end of Dec or beginning of Jan to see when the adult WTEs start to come to the nest more often. Spring is still far away..
:hi: Renno, thank you for the clarifications!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Yes -- Thank you very much for more information -- (and it sounds like it has been almost as cold here as there, the last few days).
Liis

Post by Liis »

Thank you very much for the information and explanation, Renno!
Actually, if I may say this, I don't mind there being rather few birds sometimes. That's animal and bird life in nature, and hopefully, that is what we want to see and learn about. But of course a spot known to be totally empty is no fun, like fishing in a swimmingpool.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Thanks for the information Renno.
Partly because we can see the webcams, we get the chance to see how animals survive in winter, or dealing with cadavers.
Here is the even colder next week, and already we see the birds in our garden.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

8:53
Raven voices heard calling through the forest.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good morning! :wave:

One jay visited the feeding place...Forest is full of ravens voices, but nobody come on the feeding place...one woodpecker is knocking nearby....

vaino

Post by vaino »

10:10, Just a single crow at this moment !
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

A magpie...

Return to “Eagles Winter Webcams Forum”