White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

balistar

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis 2018 nest 2

Post by balistar »

19:44:44 under cover :mrgreen:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Sylvika wrote: May 16th, 2018, 7:43 pm Osis brought a fish abt 19.25 :D and Cilla came too and fed Boss.
BUT Knips does not move at all !
- Knips slept all the time and therefore didn't get anything.
I even thought if the kid is alive :shock: , but yes Knips is moving again, later. :nod:
Both parents are gone 19.40.
19.45 Cilla (I think) came back with a big nice spruce branch!
Sylvika, for a moment I thought the same but saw him breathing :faint:

Although Boss ate the whole garfish alone, s/he later bonked Knips down very badly.
Her (?) instincts of first-born behavior are very pronounced.
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Ou yeee, everything goes on... At 8.30 pm a nice fish flew in by Osis :D
and ofcourse Boss got the most and now he was really bad towards Knips,
which is someting like being very jealous and yes it comes from instincts.
But Knips struggled pretty well although the Hammer-Boss was there again!
Knips got to eat anyway and that's forward over night, right. :nod:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Sylvika wrote: May 16th, 2018, 9:08 pm Ou yeee, everything goes on... At 8.30 pm a nice fish flew in by Osis :D
and ofcourse Boss got the most and now he was really bad towards Knips,
Knips got to eat anyway and that's forward over night, right. :nod:
Thanks, Sylvika, for reporting. Yes, that's the important thing, that Knips got a few bites at all. Today nothing more will be brought and tomorrow morning Boss is hungry again and the same procedure will occur.... :unsure:
balistar

Post by balistar »

21:45 the difference in size is increasing, watch the feet and the heads,
apart from the oversized crop of boss :slap:
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

:shake: A new morning. Knips got well fed around 6.15 am (I read somewhere it)!
And now, 11.20 am, a NEW FISH FLEW into the nest by parent.
(I have not time to see how it goes there...)
balistar

Post by balistar »

:hi: Sylvika,
thanks for your morning report.
Today was a very good day. When I counted right, there were 4 fishes and a black duck brought. Enough to eat, so that both had very big crops and I saw no bonking at all the whole day. Happy eaglets and happy parents (and happy viewers :laugh: ).

The small Knips has gained strength and self-confidence and twice bravely faced the Boss. :D

balistar

Post by balistar »

15:15 both in food coma :D

15:28 Osis brings the duck and Cilla shouts with enthusiasm

balistar

Post by balistar »

17:52 Cilla today brought soft fresh grasses, dry hay and here she brings a long branch

18:19 after Boss had a lot of the duck and is sleeping, Knips gets garfish and enjoys eating peacefully

19:53 Boss watches how Knips gets fed
balistar

Post by balistar »

20:09 Dad Osis in nest with kids.... oooops, it's raining hay....
when Mom Cilla flies over the nest loosing some hay she is bringing :whistling:

20:13 Cilla feeds Boss some of the duck, Knips wants too, but Boss says no, you must wait

20:18 now Cilla feeds Knips behind Boss' back :laugh:
balistar

Post by balistar »

20:29 when Boss got up Knips quickly got up, too
Knips: "hey, I ate very much today, I'm not afraid of you" :mrgreen:

20:33 both get fed the remains of the duck, side by side, eating peacefully
Knips: "mmmh, this tastes very good, Mom"

20:39 Knips swallowed some big pieces, so nice to see this huge crop on him :headroll:
balistar

Post by balistar »

20:50 after a big meal.....

..... follows a big PS :laugh:

21:26 Cilla takes a short time for herself near the nesttree before she comes to stay for night and kids play "who has the biggest...... crop" :rotf:

Today was a wonderful day - a plenty of food - lucky family.

Good night :wave:
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

:innocent: Thanks, balistar, again for so so nice pictures with texts!
It has gone really well, let's relax, no more that 'awful' as it has been. :D
- Today I've been on camera every now and then in the morning - at noon and
everything again has gone fine. Osis brought a bird for later morning meal
plus he also brought long shaped fish around 12.
Both kids have got enough food! Looks like Boss has grown in the way that he notices no use about bonking Knips. Boss has been calm instead. It's easier now too, because no lack of food, vice versa... When they now got a new fish they cannot eat at all! Cilla is standing there useless, need not feed the kids, they do not want to eat, they sleep :sleeping:. The long-fish have to wait before getting into kid's crops.

" :help: " At 12.50 a long fish flew into the nest AGAIN by Osis ! Now two fishes waiting for the kids to awake ! Both parents standing there and the kids are only sleeping !!
balistar

Post by balistar »

May, 18

today I watched, too, from early morning until 13:47 Uhr Osis has brought:
1 duck (black and white) at 09:54
3 long garpikes ( at 12:15, 12:49, 13:47 ) :laugh:

For the last garpike it took him only 16 min, from flying off the nest to the sea, catch the fish (a really big, long one) and flying back and drop it to nest. 16 min. !! :2thumbsup:
He can really be proud of himself - and Cilla, too.

But most of the time she forces him out of the nest as soon as he delivers the food.
She uses her beak :shock: Poor Osis. After the last garpike he perched on a branch near nest and watched his family. He wanted to stay for a while with them, but she didn't allow him to stay in the nest. Like the dogs: "We must keep out." :bow:
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Yes, what a good day for this cute eagle family!
You balistar wrote: "After the last garpike he perched on a branch near nest and watched his family. He wanted to stay for a while with them, but she didn't allow him to stay in the nest." :sad:
- I also feel sad when seeing that Mother of Boss is a boss towards Osis!
But today around 12.45 I am not sure...?? I think it was Cilla who went to the branch and stayed there? At first they had fight and Osis then flew to left branch near, but then at once came back to Cilla and demanded the place for himself, and got it. Osis was standing near the kids and would have liked to feed them, but those were too full. Cilla was looking from branch?
- Anyway, many times I also have noticed that Osis would like to stay and feed, but Cilla does not let him! :whistling:
BigDee

Post by BigDee »

balistar wrote: May 18th, 2018, 3:48 pm16 min. !! :2thumbsup:
You didn't watch the Estonian nest in 2016. It was almost matter of seconds to deliver one fish, go back to the sea and come with the next one. :-)
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

May 19

12:52 Two (I think) helicopters fly by making a lot of noise. Parent was as suprprised as I was and looked attentively and disturbed at them. This is the first time I heard a heli or plane here.

Marfo

Post by Marfo »

14:13 Cilla brought a spruce branch, a minute later Osis came with a rolled up garfish (?). Cilla started whining again and kept doing so for minutes until she flew away. I don't understand what the meaning is. Encouragement or disapproval...

Osis starts eating and feeding the kids.

balistar

Post by balistar »

Sylvika wrote: May 18th, 2018, 8:53 pm .... around 12.45 I am not sure...?? I think it was Cilla who went to the branch and stayed there? At first they had fight and Osis then flew to left branch near, but then at once came back to Cilla and demanded the place for himself, and got it. Osis was standing near the kids and would have liked to feed them, but those were too full. Cilla was looking from branch?
- Anyway, many times I also have noticed that Osis would like to stay and feed, but Cilla does not let him! :whistling:
yes, that may be possible, the two are very difficult for me to distinguish. I had mistaken the two before :blush: . Unfortunately, I can not rewind now. But anyway, Cilla is also boss of the nest and Osis's job is to bring food - and I think it makes him more and more joy the more catches he makes. :D
If he is allowed to feed then he will be really happy. :headroll:

I'm sorry, I didn't post pictures yesterday, I've taken a lot, but I was too tired. I'll try to put some in later in my last post (at least 3 are allowed).
balistar

Post by balistar »

BigDee wrote: May 18th, 2018, 9:57 pm You didn't watch the Estonian nest in 2016. It was almost matter of seconds to deliver one fish, go back to the sea and come with the next one. :-)
Hi BigDee,
no, unfortunately I didn't watch that Estonian nest in 2016. "seconds" ? I guess, that nest must have been right by the sea ? :laugh:

As I've been told, this Latvian nest is a bit far from the sea and I believe, Osis is doing a really good job :thumbs: :shake:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”