Black Stork Webcam Discussion 2010

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
schnipsi

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion 2010

Post by schnipsi »

Bad News Urmas. :bash:

I am so happy that I had almost two hours with PADIS on sunday. This beautiful BS, living by itself, all alone.

I hope we do have a chance next year to watch PADIS in his nest.

Where are all the femal BS???? What happend to Donna???

How many chicks are still alive from nesting 2008?

We do have many White stork couples here around Wiesbaden. Nesting every year on same place, same nest, very succsessfully. Some stay here during winter, climax is very mild in Rhine River area, but most of them start migration in August.

Thank you for all that work what makes it possible to watch nature in your wonderful country!

schnipsi
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

:cry: :cry:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Estonia is situated on the northern edge of a BS range, so the shortage of females is here quite normal, but we hope it to be not so common.

There are no answers about Donna and storklets from 2008, but we wait for these also.

Most probably next year the BS cam nest will occupied by Lesser Spotted Eagle pair! This year was/is poor of rhodents, so most of similar birds of prey did not lay the eggs - but next year should be better for them.

Can't say now, if we can install one more BS webcam somewhere for next season...
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Urmas,I hope not..LSE next year. :mrgreen:
We keep hoping every year to see our dear Black Storks back here and nesting sucessfully. :nod:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Macdoum, maybe 2008 was just the one magic year for uniting webcam, black storks and all of us at LKF?

It was a very good year.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Jo UK wrote:Macdoum, maybe 2008 was just the one magic year for uniting webcam, black storks and all of us at LKF?

It was a very good year.
Yes,a year to remember with great nostalgia.. but also as you said we all met here
and haven't things changed so much? All the cameras and forums,friends made and haven't we/I learned so much about nature and birds and animals each with its own story to tell.
Happy times,sad times but all of this with a friendly group of nature-lovers. :D
Yup, :chick: LKF has changed my life.!!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

Hello everyone!

Today i had a wonderful chance to "work" with Urmas. We also went to see whats wrong with this cam. Apparently ants and wasp's had started to live in the "control box" and Urmas got sting twice. (What a heroic thing to do for a camera 8-) ) We didn't see anyone in the nest (Of course if there was somebody in the nest then he or she flew away)

Monday we will be going back there and try to do what is in our power. I hope you can survive that long :laugh:
oliv

Post by oliv »

You two are real heroes :mrgreen:
Liis

Post by Liis »

That camera seems attractive to ants! Remember, there were ants in it when Urmas took it down last autumn. (Clever creatures - nice, dry, electrically heated home in the middle of the forest)
How high up is the camera, and what kind of ants were there?
oliv

Post by oliv »

Don´t you think it is wasps?
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

oliv wrote:You two are real heroes :mrgreen:
Yes heroes :rolleyes: hope Urmas had some remedy for wasp stings.. very painful.. I stepped on one once.. :cry:
Emily Dickinson
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

oliv wrote:Don´t you think it is wasps?
yes :blush: i make a lot of grammar mistakes :whistling:
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

Liis wrote:That camera seems attractive to ants! Remember, there were ants in it when Urmas took it down last autumn. (Clever creatures - nice, dry, electrically heated home in the middle of the forest)
How high up is the camera, and what kind of ants were there?
I don't know what ants they were but the main problem is getting access to the control box because those wasps were very angry.

The nest is suprisingly low :shock: i thought it was higher and it is so strange to look that the camera was about 30 cm away from the nest itself... well i guess if it doesn't move then it's not interesting for animals 8-)

I was no hero :shock: i didn't do anything besides giving Urmas my moscuito (spelling mistake there i guess) jacket so that he vouldn't get sting more and he didn't. :rolleyes:
visitor

Post by visitor »

Thank you for the report and work, Jürka! Of course you both are heroes and good luck for tomorrow!
(BTW, as I've mentioned before, all the pictures are most welcome :blush: , sorry for being so annoying... :slap:)

It's so heart-warming to see a new generation of Santas growing up. :thumbs:
jürka wrote:... moscuito (spelling mistake there i guess)...

:book: I bid mosquito. :D
a storkaholic
Liis

Post by Liis »

oliv wrote:Don´t you think it is wasps?
Last year in October Urmas did report about an ants' nest in the camera - well, camera equipment: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/5314, about half-way down in text.
So there may well be both. Everybody likes a good roof and central heating. :innocent:
Do wasps eat ants or can they have a peaceful co-existence?
Do take good care of yourselves if you go back, Jürka & Urmas!
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

visitor wrote:Thank you for the report and work, Jürka! Of course you both are heroes and good luck for tomorrow!
(BTW, as I've mentioned before, all the pictures are most welcome :blush: , sorry for being so annoying... :slap:)

It's so heart-warming to see a new generation of Santas growing up. :thumbs:

:book: I bid mosquito. :D
agree 100% with you, visitor!
the more young active Santas - the merrier and better for our Black Storks! :)
thank you both !
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

So later today we will be going there and try to do what is in our power. We also recharged the batteries so the picture shouldn,t go anywhere so soon. Assuming of course that we can cleane the ant nest or at least "make a deal" with them. We do not know how bad is it inside the control box because of the wasps that attacked Urmas. So we are not 100% sure that we will get the camera working again but i am sure !Urmas! will do the best he can. I am probably going to do nothing... maybe give my mosquito jacket again but he is the one who fixes it all. So i do not deserve the rank of Hero... rather i deserve the rank of squire :laugh:
Jürgen

Post by Jürgen »

Well we are back now for quite a bit of time and camera works :innocent: though it still needs to be kind of uploaded again so it might take some time now to get it to internet community. Though it shouldn't be much more long until we can watch the camera again.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

GOOD WORK!!
Thanks to Urmas and also to Jürka especially for the very good informations.
Well done :thumbs:
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

i can hear the wind and a cuckoo calling...but the screen is black :puzzled:

anyway, thanks Urmas for climbing and fighting the ants and jürka, for telling us all about it :D
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”