Fall in Oregon, USA

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
alice44

Re: Fall in Oregon, USA

Post by alice44 »

This is an other image from the end of November taken from the covered bridge I had taken pictures of before. My other pictures were taken about from where that yellow house is off in the distance.

I will look for a picture taken looking at the bridge to post a reminder.

here it is taken in September
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Autumn 2010

I think I will just re-open last year's Fall thread if that is okay?

The picture just above was taken pretty close to where my mother fell and broke her knee -- but 9 months earlier.

I am going to do things out of order as something is better than nothing.

Fall in Oregon means Orb Spiders and in today's sunshine I was able to take a few pictures.

These two were more or less above Small in the grapes -- each spider seems to have different colouration and markings.

This one was at the front of the house

and here it is in my tomato plant after I broke the web so I could get to the trash bin.

I think the dratted things are out of focus -- but autumnal markers these spiders are.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Oh, wonderful photos, Alice! I have seen here too some bigger spiders that resembled a lot that of yours! They made their web behind the kitchen window, the one that we do not open very often, and also behind the veranda window. I allowed them be there and washed the windows only just before Christmas.

The name of our spider is ristilukki, it has to be the same family! I looked dictionary, and yes, they are orb-weaver spiders (family Araneidae).
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga wrote:Oh, wonderful photos, Alice! I have seen here too some bigger spiders that resembled a lot that of yours! They made their web behind the kitchen window, the one that we do not open very often, and also behind the veranda window. I allowed them be there and washed the windows only just before Christmas.

The name of our spider is ristilukki, it has to be the same family! I looked dictionary, and yes, they are orb-weaver spiders (family Araneidae).
oh dear I have not looked up information on the spiders -- I should. I have taken a few more pictures. It is amazing how many there are, it is hard to believe there are enough bugs and sort of terrible to think about how many bugs there would be if the spiders weren't eating them. I have trouble cutting the hedge because I have to disturb so many spiders.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga, I have been thinking about a comment you made about your garden getting quieter -- so far I am sure mine is getting noisier and not just because the drinking college students are back.

In the summer the Jays (Scrub Jays http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Western_Scrub-Jay/id ) are mostly quiet -- until their young are flying about begging for food, then they get noisy. They are very sneaky around their nests, so that the nests remain undiscovered. Also I have lots of Bushtits ( http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bushtit/id )-- they also are very quiet when nesting. Now that the nesting season is over they travel in large flocks of 20+, probably closer to 30, but they are tiny -- my great grandmother said little bit of a bird no bigger than my thumb, their voices are tiny but it seems that all 30 of them talk all the time as they move about so that they can all stay together. I think they eat tiny gnats and they visit fat balls.

This evening my birches, which are losing their leaves were full of Ceder Waxwings ( http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cedar_Waxwing/id ) eating the bugs that live in the trees and chirping their hearts out. I stood out their under my clothes line looking up and then through the binoculars listening to them (and the drunks celebrating the football game on the other side of the block.)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you Alice for the story of your garden birds. I have listened to their sound. :thumbs: Its a pity the imbibed-students spoil the quiet moments in the garden. :banghead:..well if the cold spell comes they will have to shut the windows..so.. :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The rains are arriving so they cannot drink out in the driveway anymore -- so it will get quieter, but crazy driving is another sign of fall around here -- turning from the wrong lane on a one way street, driving the wrong direction on a one way street... I could go on and on -- Fall is a tough time the kids go off to college and act like idiots.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Fall flowers:

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Flowers Blooming:

A late Rose in late afternoon sun a couple days ago

and then I have these in bloom
Clematis

Azalea

neither of which is really meant to be fall blooming.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Some kind of maple

and I am 97% sure this is a leaf from the same kind of maple but not the same tree
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And then Spiders because they are fall and the squirrels won't let me get close enough to even see them let alone photograph them

alice44

Post by alice44 »

and more

and this dragon fly landed on me when my dad and I were out on a little bird watching walk
alice44

Post by alice44 »

From our walk at Finley Wildlife Refuge

Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote:Fall flowers:

I think these may be autumn crocus, Alice. I am not sure, but I think so.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

and an old apple tree on the site -- near the old homestead
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Yes -- Kitty the crocus are fall crocuses and are blooming in the correct season.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

You live in one of the more beautiful regions of the USA, in my opinion. After my marriage, we spent our honeymoon touring through Washington & Oregon states. For years I wished my husband's job would take us to that part of the country. But we ended up in the middle of the country.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I do love Oregon -- the Willamette Valley (where I live), the desert in the east and the wonderful Ocean.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Ohh yeah I was going to post mushrooms as well.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

And yet more Spiders :blush:

Return to “Seasons”