Spring in Oregon

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
alice44

Re: Spring in Oregon

Post by alice44 »

We had a story here

a cougar was in a yard in Philomath -- a little town just outside of my town -- hmmm it had a biggish dog cornered but then a little dog scared it off.

I think without wolves for competition and as the deer population expands Cougars come closer and closer into towns. Often the university's forest -- forest management is a big part of OSU -- signs are posted to beware of cougars! I don't think there have been any human attacks locally

-- They are quite common on Vancouver Island where they are the only top predator -- my dad says he saw a cougar track on the far side of our yard, but since I was a kid he did not show it to me (something I still resent). He also says he went on a hike and on the way back to the car he noticed cougar tracks on top of his outgoing tracks :shock:

In the Tetons I cam close to nose to nose with a bear munching berries and that was enough of that for me!
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote: . . .

In the Tetons I cam close to nose to nose with a bear munching berries and that was enough of that for me!
:laugh: Yeah, that'll do it! You didn't have a bear bell or repellent? Of course, a bear would be loathe to give up its berries until it absolutely had to, whether it heard you coming or not.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Images from the first of April

Wild Currants -- there were a pair of hummingbirds or at least 2 hummingbirds (I am not sure they were a couple) feeding in this bush.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Bumble Bee (? I think) working on a Grape Hyacinth

Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Oh, what beautiful flowers, Alice! :loveshower: I can smell those grape hyacinth & the narcissus (paperwhites?)
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I found those lovely white flowers down the street from my parents house -- so I am not sure but I use those two terms interchangeably. While I was watering my parents seedlings (and walking in their neighbourhood) my parents were visiting Bend -- a sort of recreation town on the eastern, desert side, of the Cascade mountains

This image is from their vacation.
Morning Doves
ergee

Post by ergee »

Is this the right place to post these pics?

A simple spring picture from the countryside in the Netherlands.

Even Polle, the cat, thinks it is warm enough for a nap
in the sunshine where he even can smell the perfume
of the blossoms!

Not perfect, too vague, but there is a hare in the meadow...

Yes, they might find there food, now that spring came, also elsewhere, but this couple woodpeckers (Dendrocopos medius) loves to eat here...and the blue tit too!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:hi: ergee
In this forum we can start our own threads so you could start a Spring in the Netherlands thread. One of my good friends is from the Netherlands -- not sure where she grew up but I think most of her adult life, before she moved here was in Amsterdam. I think, she thinks our climate, in Oregon, is similar, but not quite as cold.

Do you know what the blue flowers are? Such a lovely meadowland.

I have been wondering about creating a thread for birds -- where we could all post about the birds we were seeing, but I have not asked Jo about doing that. I love seeing woodpeckers but usually they are high up in the trees.
ergee

Post by ergee »

It must be the Scilla hispanica, very sweet flowers!
Thank you for the right address! Spring is really
beautiful and I also think that in Oregon it is
warmer than here..
alice44

Post by alice44 »

My Scilla hispanica is just barely in bloom.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

some images from today -- it was partially sunny and not very cold, but this evening it feels pretty chill.

Hellebore in my garden

A Tulip (not in my garden but just up the street)

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

You have such a beautiful garden! Really great pictures! :loveshower:
Spring seems to be much earlier in Oregon than over here!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Another image from this afternoon

These flowers are NOT all from my garden, but most of them are from the area around my house where I stroll. According to my dad who has been photographing his garden and recording the dates for flowers for several years -- since he went digital (he was photographing before that, but the date record back then was not so good) this year spring is about 3 weeks late.

Camellia -- this one is from my garden.

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

alice44 wrote::hi: ergee
In this forum we can start our own threads so you could start a Spring in the Netherlands thread. One of my good friends is from the Netherlands -- not sure where she grew up but I think most of her adult life, before she moved here was in Amsterdam. I think, she thinks our climate, in Oregon, is similar, but not quite as cold.

Do you know what the blue flowers are? Such a lovely meadowland.

I have been wondering about creating a thread for birds -- where we could all post about the birds we were seeing, but I have not asked Jo about doing that. I love seeing woodpeckers but usually they are high up in the trees.
Alice, I think that is a great idea. Something like Birds in our Gardens? Do you think we can have one topic for everyone to post to, or would it be more sensible to have it divided by country?
I favour a general topic, but I have never claimed to be sensible.
Opinions, please? Then we can start it. - somewhere!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ergee, would you like to post those lovely meadow pictures in this new topic, especially for Spring in the Netherlands?

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=280
ergee

Post by ergee »

Jo UK wrote:ergee, would you like to post those lovely meadow pictures in this new topic, especially for Spring in the Netherlands?

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=280

Of course, that will be a great idea, maybe Fleur can
find some time too, to post pictures of her part of
our country! Would be nice to see that....
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The beautiful understory tree is blooming under my neighbour's magnolia. Last year I missed capturing the blossoms and I promised myself I would get them this year, but I have been too weak to get up and do it. With a wee bit of luck this cold will end before the blossoms do.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote:The beautiful understory tree is blooming under my neighbour's magnolia. Last year I missed capturing the blossoms and I promised myself I would get them this year, but I have been too weak to get up and do it. With a wee bit of luck this cold will end before the blossoms do.
Oh, I hope so, too , Alice. You make beautiful photos. Are you sick with a cold? I recall a while ago you said you had twisted your foot, so now I wonder if you have a cold, or if it is cold out & that bothers your foot?
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Kitty KCMO wrote: Oh, I hope so, too , Alice. You make beautiful photos. Are you sick with a cold? I recall a while ago you said you had twisted your foot, so now I wonder if you have a cold, or if it is cold out & that bothers your foot?
As soon as I smashed my foot, I got a cold or something. I have been coughing up a storm and then sleeping. My foot still hurts but I am walking so little that I do not notice it much. Uneven ground still poses a problem.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Alice, get well soon.

Return to “Seasons”