White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Kitty KCMO

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote:Maisy left at 9.05. before that she dug in the bottom of the nest and pulled twigs to cover whatever there may be.

i started watching at 8.48 again and today i did not see her doing the pumping movement with her tail (i was at the LSE nest :innocent: )

Kitty: did you see her do that?
I think i did, but I can't recall which video I made might have it. I am going to be uploading for a while.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote:More video of Maisy Mallard (I like that name best).

8:47
....(video)
she wagged her tail a bit here. that may mean another egg. :nod:

i like the name Maisy, too. :D
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

8:51

More videos to come . .
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

8:56
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty: it seems that we have recorded videos which are partly overlapping. :laugh:

but you started earlier than i. i started at 8.48 and then continued uptill Maisy left and even beyond that but i deleted all the other clips except those two which i have posted earlier.

if she laid an egg it should be earlier than 8.48. you may have a recording that is earlier than the one that you posted which may include the laying, or it may be on the video that you posted up there.

- Maisy doesn't make a fuss about laying like Linda did last year. she just drops it, covers and leaves. :mrgreen:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote:Kitty: it seems that we have recorded videos which are partly overlapping. :laugh:

but you started earlier than i. i started at 8.48 and then continued uptill Maisy left and even beyond that but i deleted all the other clips except those two which i have posted earlier.

if she laid an egg it should be earlier than 8.48. you may have a recording that is earlier than the one that you posted which may include the laying, or it may be on the video that you posted up there.

- Maisy doesn't make a fuss about laying like Linda did last year. she just drops it, covers and leaves. :mrgreen:
:D She is quite pragmatic. No need for fuss. And if she did fuss, it would attract Mr. Buzzard! :shock:
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

9:01
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Last video of Maisy Mallard as she left the nest. No buzzard showed up this time.

9:05
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

yes: no buzzard this time. :nod: i hope it doesn't return anymore...

i'll repeat here what i wrote on the LSE-exBS-board:

i just realized that Tuuli's and Remo's nest aspen (the former BS-nest-tree) is a girl-tree and this aspen where Maisy the Mallard has settled, that is a boy-tree. :laugh:

aspen is a dioecious species, which means that stamens which produce pollen and pistils which eventually produce seeds are in different trees. so the trees are either boys or girls. the LSE-exBS-tree is a girl because the catkins there are big and fluffy. the catkins here in the WTE-mallard tree are long, thin and flexible stamen catkins.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Those sexy trees! :blush: :laugh:
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote:Those sexy trees! :blush: :laugh:
... i don't know is the alternative much less inproper: a hermafrodite with both male and female sex organs. :mrgreen:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

ame wrote: ... i don't know is the alternative much inproper: a hermafrodite with both male and female sex organs. :mrgreen:
Now THAT'S getting sexy! :rotf:
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

:laugh: :rolleyes: :whistling:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Goodnight / Good day, everyone! I am off to get some sleep now. It is a busy time at our cams now, with various egg clutches & families to watch. I still am totally blown away by the mallard nesting in the WTE nest. :innocent: Now I am :offtobed:. Enjoy the cams! :wave:
Kitty KCMO
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I have been wrong this morning in showing pictures of the Lesser Spotted here. So I take them away again. Excuse me - I seem to be a bit puzzled sometimes.
Greetings from Bleggi :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

Maisy did a good job in concealing her (presumed) eggs. the Sun shines directly inside the enst bowl but at least i can't see anything there. :innocent:
Cirrus

Post by Cirrus »

This is the first time I've posted in AGES - I came to see what has happened to Linda and Sulev. May I assume they have a second nest that they have decided to use this year ?? The birds themselves are OK ??
And Maisy the Mallard is using the nest whilst the rightful owners are away??
Do I have the story correct?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Cirrus wrote:This is the first time I've posted in AGES - I came to see what has happened to Linda and Sulev. May I assume they have a second nest that they have decided to use this year ?? The birds themselves are OK ??
And Maisy the Mallard is using the nest whilst the rightful owners are away??
Do I have the story correct?
I think as far as we know Linda and Sulev are fine. Eagles were seen at this nest early in the season and then they just stopped coming. I think the experts (who know the area and the local possibility of second nests) think they just decided not to nest this year. And they have been very productive, so perhaps they deserve a rest, but some of us sort of hope they have another nest they are using this year.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

So, Maisy has come back :mrgreen: There's nothing visible in the nest, if she has left eggs, she has hidden them well.

I saw so many different kinds of duck today in the zoo, amazing!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
beans

Post by beans »

Ducks don't incubate 24/7 until the whole clutch of eggs is laid. The chicks are precocial: they are born with eyes open and can feed themselves.

More information about Mallards here: CLICK

At the bird hospital in Cordelia, California, I have taken care of many orphaned ducklings. They stay with us only a few days and are then transferred to a lovely place in Northern California. There are outdoor pools, sloped so the youngsters can wade in and wade out. Also a special area near the pool which is heated, where they can go to warm up and sleep. Until they are fully feathered, they need a heat source. In the wild, that would be mom.

One time someone brought in Mom and several ducklings. They were rescued from a pool at a water treatment plant. The sides of the pool were too high for the ducklings to get out, and they would not survive the night there. After the whole family spent the night in one of our special duck pens (each has a little pool) we added some more ducklings. Mom accepted them! We released Mom into the wetlands next to our hospital, followed by the ducklings. She called them to her, and they all swam away.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”